Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

SCHEDULE NARRATIVE REPORT

7 replies [Last post]
Jay Dehal
User offline. Last seen 7 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi All,

How are y’all doin’ ?

Can somebody please direct me to a sample of a really good Schedule Narrative Report ?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jay Dehal

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

creat your own and include these items 

Title: Creating a Schedule Narrative for an Updated Schedule

By: Zoltan Palffy Jr.                                                                                     Date: 3/20/2017   Rev. 0

Problem: Your project has started and now it is time to start updating your schedule. How do you create a schedule narrative and what do you include in it. There are many permutations that can be explored this paper presents one possible solution. The key is consistency by presenting the same type of reporting on a continuing basis update after update. You are in essence building a chronological history of the project one update interval at a time.

The first page should be the Executive summary and should list summary information

Company NAME

Project Name

Monthly Schedule Update # – (Date of update)

(Month of Update)

(Update # & File name)

(Insert an overall Summary Photo if permitted)

Executive Summary:                       

Update:

Data Date:

01-Feb-09

Project name:

PROJXXXUPD10.XER

Jan 09 Update (10)

NTP:
Contract Duration:                  
Original Contract Completion Date:
Approved Time Extensions:
Current Contract Completion Date:           

Projected Contract Completion Date

Variance with Current Contract 

April 2, 2008

1164 calendar days

June 10, 2011

None

June 10, 2011

August 16, 2011

-46 Working Days

-67 Calendar days

Schedule Status

(List the status in terms of ahead or behind schedule, planned % complete vs the actual % compelte).

The Schedule labeled as (PROJXXUPD10)is based on actual field progress through the month of (whatever month). The schedule is showing a projected contract completion date of

(whatever the completion date is). This is (X number of ) working days after the approved contractual completion date of December 5, 2016. This project was scheduled to be 65.00%complete at this time. However the actual physical progress is only 50.00%as of this update.

Milestone Summary

(List the milestones only in tabular format this can cut and pasted from P6)

Activity id        Activity Name             Duration % Complete    Start        Finish        Total float

Critical Path Analysis:

(List the current critical path in writing this can be in summary form if need be)

The current critical path starting in February 2009 begins with the completion of work for C09 Crystal City the critical path work then flows thru the stations in this sequential order; C03 Farragut, C04 Foggy Bottom, D12 Landover, D09 Minnesota Avenue, D10 Deanwood through to Project Completion.

Graphically, the critical path in is as follows

(Graphically show the current critical path in this can be in summary form if need be)

(This can be in Gantt format or time scaled logic.)

(This can cut and pasted from P6)

Schedule Progress

Started Activities

(List the activities that ONLY STARTED during this reporting period in tabular format this can be cut and pasted from P6)

During the XXX MONTH YEAR update period, (COPMANY NAME)  started (X number ) new activity during this reporting period.

Activity id    Activity Name   Duration % Complete Remaining Duration  Start   Finish   Total float

In-Progress Activities

(List the activities that were in progress this reporting period meaning that they started in a prior update period but are not yet completethis can be cut and pasted from P6)

During the XXX MONTH YEAR update period, these activities (20) were in-progress. (This means these were started in a previous reporting period but are not yet complete.

Activity id    Activity Name   Duration % Complete Remaining Duration  Start   Finish   Total float

Completed Activities

(List the activities that were ONLY COMPLETED in tabular format this can be cut and pasted from P6).

During the XXX MONTH YEAR update period, these activities (15) were completed.

Activity id        Activity Name             Duration % Complete             Start                   Finish 

Change Notices and RFI’s:

Change Notices

(List the number of change notices issued todate. If there are a lot of changes the design could be flawed. Change order work usually takes away manpower from critical BASE CONTRACT work).

Through XXX MONTH YEARthere have been 15 Change Orders issued to COMPANY NAME

RFI’s:

(List the number of Request for Information issued todate) If there are a lot of changes the design could be flawed.

Through XXX MONTH YEARthere have been 450 RFI’s submitted and 400 of them have been answered.

Delays and Impacts:

Delays

(List any delays that the project experienced this reporting period as well as other from previous update periods)

There have been several delays the most notable were delays associated with the following

1.      Delay #1

2.      Delay #2

Impacts

(List any impacts that the project experienced this reporting period as well as other from previous update periods).

The project has been impacted due to differing site conditions in the Basement. The original

Documents called for the columns and wall footings for the building to be erected on spread footings situated on unexcavated rock.  However, the material encountered was compacted soil placed by a prior contract.

Weather

(List any delays due to weather during this reporting period. The delay usually has to effect at least 50% of the work day and the activity MUST be on the critical path).

Date of delay             type of weather          activity id #     activity name  on  critical path (Y/N)

(If rain or snow how much)

(If too hot or cold what were the temperatures)

Added activities

(List any new activities add to the schedule and why they were added. Make sure to include change orders issued during this update period).

Logic Changes

(List any logic changes made to the schedule and why this includes out-of-sequence progress).

Progress Photos

(If permitted insert progress photos at the end of the narrative. Try to take photos that give overall status of an area was well as photos where there are delays. This gives you the ability to go back to any update period and see what the current status of the project was via the photos).

(Insert photos here caption them if possible or caption a group heading of them maybe in the same area or on the same floor).

Muhammad Zahid M...
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS

Hi Dear,

i need this report David, Can you please send it to me at zahidmallick126@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance.

Jay Dehal
David,

Thanks for your response, much appreciate it.

That’s exactly the kind of things that I’m looking for to better my report. You’re right, Owners, Program Managers and Construction Managers are also looking for work around options when problems arises and how you would mitigate delays when delays arises.

Thanks once again for the heads up.

Jay
David Watters
User offline. Last seen 19 years 4 days ago. Offline
I’m doing the detail design planning for three rigs in the North Sea at the moment. So, as you can expect, our planning narrative report is pretty important to the job. One element our Clients Project Manager reaaly banged on about is corrective action.

We have one page for each deck, and a paragraph for each discipline (Dont worry - we have an executive section for all the other stuff you mention). What we detail in the paragraph are problems and corrective action. In other words, dont just give ’em the bad news, but tell’em how you have sat down as a team and developed a solution to the problem, and when benefits can be seen.

We originally tried it pretty much the way you have stated in your last post but found that it was meerly reporting historical data, and that LEad Engineers were just dishing out the bad news rather than actually thinking about how to correct it.

Dont know if this wiil help you, but please reply if I can help further.
Jay Dehal
Luca, Rahmat,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.
In fact I already have a Schedule Narrative Report detailing all those issues in your response. What I was looking for was for a better report that I could improve on. Currently my report discusses the following:
1. Current Progress
2. Upcoming Progress
3. Contract Milestones (Milestones Analysis)
4. Obstacles and Challenges (Speaks for itself)
5. Schedule Revisions (Added Activties, Logic Changes, Budget Changes)
6. Schedule Reports (Project Schedule, Longest Path Activities, Critical/Near Critical Activities, Contract Milestone Status, Unprogressed Activities)

I just felt that my report may be lacking in some respects and if I just had a good sample report, I could root out those areas that I am lacking in and then cover them adequately.

Thanks.

Jay
Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
You need to agree with the Client or Your management (depend for who is the report) the basic content they want to see.
Narrative description, work carried in the past progress period, look ahead for the next progress period, analysis of variances from planned and actual, possible action to take, S-curves, 3 weeks or month look ahead, etc ...
This could be a good base from where to satrt to discuss.

Rahmat Hidayat
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hello Jay,

You don’t need sample or template. The principle is you must have the schedule status first from your updated schedule. Then focus only to the delay activities "we can say activities with problem". Find out the problems and actions to be taken. In short is "what" "why" "how" "when", that is report.