Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Baseline programme Narrative

7 replies [Last post]
Abdulrahman Saadi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

Hi everybody,

I have this question how to prepare programme of works narrative based only on the Baseline programme, and the programme was prepared in MS Project by different person, moreover the programme is missing Method Statement of work.

I already identified the critical path in the programme and the programme activities include resources but I it's not clear how was foreseen to undertake works and manage resources.

As well I need to explain how was forseen to undertake mobilisation, traffic management and Engineer's facilities.

Thank you in advance for any suggestion..

Abdul,

abdulemig@gmail.com

Replies

Abdulrahman Saadi

Thank you Rafael for the explanation and attched material..

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 5 min ago. Offline

In order for activity duration be justified/validated we need both, volume of work and resource production rates.  True duration type activities whose duration is not dependent on the resources do happen, but are rare, an example of a duration activity is concrete curing.

To my understanding P6 does not relate in any way activity duration to volume of work and resource production rates, therefore it must be disclosed either in the narrative documents or as user defined fields that in no way will drive activity duration, scheduler should calculate it manually. 

Volume of work and production rates from Rafael Davila
Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

you will resource load the schedule look at the resource curve and state what the curve shows. We plan to start working with approximately 5 men and steadly incource our manpower to as the work becomes availabe and paln to peak at 50 men for approximately 4 months then begin to slowly ramp back down to approimately 5 men to finish the project. 

Abdulrahman Saadi

Thank you Rafael..

Actually softwre does include volume of work but doesn't include resource production rate.

Abdulrahman Saadi

Thank you Zlotan, I"ll take in notes these points, but not clear if its possible to explain how resources were envisaged to work based on the Baseline programme?

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 5 min ago. Offline

If the software does not disclose:

a) Volume of work and
b) Resource production rates

Then these shall be included on the narrative, otherwise it would essentially be useless as to verify the validity of activity durations.  This can be done though user defined fields to show, activity volume of work, unit of volume and resource loading production rates. 

If reviewer cannot verify the validity of activity durations then the schedule cannot be endorsed to be well-grounded. 

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Baseline CPM Narrative

The  Baseline CPM Network narrative should include the folowing:

• Assumptions used in development of the CPM network.

• Actions required by others (owner provided permits, owner provided utilities, owner provided access, owner provided equipment, etc..).

• The critical and near critical paths.

• Description of calendars and how holidays are incorporated.

• How the CPM network has accounted for inclement weather.                    

• How weather may impact certain activities.

• Planned sequencing and phasing.

• Anticipated manpower

• Over all plan for the project.