Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Critical Paths - Are they all theyre cracked up to be?

56 replies [Last post]
Stephen Magill
User offline. Last seen 5 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am a relatively new planner with only 4 years experience. However this lack of experience did give me one advantage while starting out. No question i asked was a stupid one.

I started noticing that most of my questions were based around one thing, The Critical Path. It amused me how often obvious flaws were used as ammo in one situation and convieniently ignored in others. Due to this fact i have never really been truely satisfied with the whole critical path entitiy and indeed treat it with a complete lack of respect.

Feel free to correct any of the folowing by the way.

I fully understand the need for them, dont get me wrong, i just cant help think we are settling for something that doesnt really deliver what it promises and therefore i have always found it difficult to take it seriously.

I would consider project planning to be a relatively new science. This is not saying it hasnt been around for a while, but in theory terms, we are still (or should be) open to suggestions. In age terms, a good comparison would be Town & Regional Planning, still considered a new science even though the current applied ideas and theorys oringinated during the industrial revolutions, with the likes of Geddis and Bournville being pioneers, not scared to try out new things. When it all went tits up, they just tweaked their theories and tried again, constantly finding out that the hardest variable to calculate was human nature.

The difference between the two is they accepted they were a new science and moved on if something didnt work like it should. We seem to be stuck in a mentality of ’this is what weve got and its so deeply routed throughout our profession that we cant even consider another option’..

Critical Paths would appear to have been perfect for what they were designed for, clarifying and minimising project durations, highlighting problems before they arose etc. It is our reliance on them for contract issue, extensions of time and progressing that i have little faith in.

I will further develop my arguement if there is any sort of response to this post. just want get a feel for the backlash before i bore everyone with the finer details.

I believe the problems are also closely tied with ’set in stone’ or unflexible links but again, will develop this arguement depending on the responses recieved. Electronic Logic Gates have uses everywhere.

Am i being naive or does anyone else feel this way?

Replies

Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
or more fully for the smatarses

from the Vietnamese term for Vietnamese Communist (Viet Nam Cong San)
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi David,

Charlie (applied to irregulars or guerillas not the contributor to Planning Planet) is a leftover from the Vietnam War. It comes from the NATO Phonetic Aphabet table Victor Charlie - VC - Viet Cong.

Chris
David Barker
User offline. Last seen 6 years 1 week ago. Offline
funny that isn’t charley the term they use for guerrillas
Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Oh yes, forgot possibly fraudulent misrepresentation in the last post as well.
Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Lots of interesting points raised here. Ironically I posted a similar message in another post yesterday. First and foremost a programme is a tool for the management of the project.

Fail to plan properly, plan to fail.

The programme should be as accurate as knowledge and time permits. I agree it is often the case that the time given to produce a programme or the information available falls far short of what is needed. But this is still no excuse for not producing the best you can at the time.

As for manipulating the critical path, if you do this the programme is not worth the paper it’s printed on so doesn’t fulfil its intended purpose. May as well throw it in the bin.

It’s also embarrassing and not good for your career when someone else gets to scrutinise it in a later dispute to be told and shown that you were wrong, your effort was obviously flawed and that you misrepresented the truth. I would suggest that such manipulation actually falls far short of the standard expected from a professional planner and at least amounts to wilful deceit, possibly negligence.

My advice to all planners is to do what you’re employed to do – plan the job. This way the project has the greatest chance of being successful and everybody is happy.
Stephen Magill
just back from holiday...

scots pie... hilarious.

James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Gents - a very interesting debate, highly emotive, but has been somewhat hijacked by invective.

Notwithstanding the fact that each party has put forth valid points of argument, we must begin to use language that becomes more precise in terms of its defintion. Apologies if the next lecture is granny-sucking-egg.

First: we must not confuse the word EXACT or PRECISE with the word ACCURATE. Any numerical manipulation, using the input variables, as derived, will arrive at an EXACT or a PRECISE value. However, the variables that form part of the equation determine the potential ACCURACY of the result - as comparing the theoretical result with the actual result. Perhaps to help understand the word "accurate", here are some definitions from the American Heritage Dictionary.

ACCURATE : adjective.
Conforming exactly to fact; errorless.
Deviating only slightly or within acceptable limits from a standard.
Capable of providing a correct reading or measurement: an accurate scale.
Acting or performing with care and precision; meticulous: an accurate proofreader.

Now you can start fighting over the definitions!!

Charlie is right, in that sometimes you have an extremely limited time to prepare a large schedule. The reasons for time-limitations are irrelevant. The real-life fact is that it often happens. However, the method by which the critical-path is calculated will (should) still be the same, and will continue to derive a precise value, but the "accuracy" of the schedule will be compromised. Spending 5 months on compiling a schedule will also give you a precise value - but it may not necessarily be significantly more accurate. As usual, a balance has to be struck.

The planner’s job isn’t helped by the fact that the "result" can be manipulated via interpretation of the initial input variables, thus giving the client the result that he would like to see, as opposed to reality. We’ve all been there, and know full-well that, if we told the client the real cost of the job, we wouldn’t get the job. Moreover, we could all philosophise about the rights-and-wrongs of "data manipulation" via interpretational liberty.

James.
Clive Randall
Chris

Charlie, like all good entertainers never lets the truth stand in the way of a good story

See here

http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=1&Cat=6&Top=32700

Still the advantage is that we are forced to look at history and find out the facts

For this I thank you Charlie

However, I would temper all advice on this forum provided in this knee jerk manner as suspect, probably ignoring the facts and based on what is thought to be case. In conclusion it should be treated as worthless unless ratified, by yourselves.
Chris Oggham
Hi Clive,

Strange that you should go back and look at one of Charlie’s earlier posts, I’ve just done the same, post #47 where he was going on about the second world war and using that to take another of his little digs at the English.

I did notice though that he rather got things wrong. The defences for Singapore were commissioned under the 1935 defence estimates and were in place by 1937. At the time they were a response to a percieved threat, but at the time of the Japanese invasion it was known that these defences would not be effective. I’ve no doubt Charlie would ask, "Well why didn’t they do something about them then?" Possibly because at the time Britain was rather busy in Europe, and the resources simply weren’t available.

Another interesting point is that Charlie points to MacArthur saying "For the second option, MacArthur organized guerillas to continually harass and slow down enemy advance." That is incorrect. Early in 1942 MacArthur asserted that guerilla operations were impossible in the Phillipines. The Guerilla operation in the Phillipines was initiated by a remarkable man, a Lt Colonel of engineers called Wendell Fertig. He promoted himself to Brigadier General and organised a resistance using Filipinos, escaped POWs and troops who had remained behind.

MacArthur at first tried to ignore Fertig and his efforts, but they were too successful, but it wasn’t until 1943 that MacArthur actually started to supply the guerillas with arms and equipment and to claim that the whole thing was his idea.

I don’t propose to say too much more other than to suggest to Charlie that if he is going to pontificate, he should at least get his facts right.

Chris Oggham
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Clive

Sorry for another comment. I belive, it’s a waste of time to discuss with a person who is sure that a science - mathematics - is no science, but only his expert knowledge - you used a beautiful picture : "..presenters will have among them a tin man, lion, scarecrow and a pair of very red magic shoes".
But you are right, juniors may be misleaded.
Joseph wrote "The schedule as per contract shall be submitted within 30 days after signing of contract" and he tried to raise the impression that he created such a schedule within 30 days. This could only be achieved with the support of long haired ladies with a bowl of glass, dice, cards, watching birds or equivalent - it cannot be true.
I know such conditions as well. They are ok, because during the phase when you prepare your - serious - offer, you need a level-2 and for some areas level-3-schedule. This is not only essential for price and contract-milestones, but to check for feasibility as well. In general you have 3 to 5 months time to prepare your offer where the schedule is an essential part. Joseph obviously didn’t know.
Planning/scheduling is a serious job and does use scientific methods, even if much data is based on assumptions and/or personal estimations.

Kind regards to all

Dieter
Clive Randall
Charlie
I apologise that I have to go back a few posts and comment on what you said below

"Dieter,

Have you done a scheduling for 3 Billion USD project with 30,000 activities that start from Design (conceptual, schematics, detailed desing or Design Concept 1,2,3 and 4) procurement of major machineries and long lead items, construction (infrstructures, buildings, utilities, mep, etc) testing and commissioning????????????????????

The schedule as per contract shall be submitted within 30 days after signing of contract otherwise a certain amount from the billing will be witheld until an approved schedule will materialize. Have you been in this situation before wherein failure of the planning engineer will result in marching order and flight back home to country of origin.

Do you think those planners will still arrive at critical path as an exact science??????????? Be realistic

I agree to construct small dog house for english bull dog, maybe, the critical path might be an exact science. The critical path for family planning can be an exact science.

But no way for EPC MEGA project in the oil and gas, building construction, etc. in the range of 10 Billion USD above.

Cheers,

Joseph "

It would appear Charlie that it is acceptable to produce a programme and critical path that has its foundations in some dream world because the contract demands this from you. If you dont do it you get the sack.

It is my belief that planners do no more than prostitute themselves when faced by such onerous terms in a contract and all parties suffer the consequences of such stupidity.

Can you say with your vast experience that 30 days is a sufficient period to prepare a programme for a project of such magnitude. I would suggest that it is insufficient to even unroll the drawings, let alone digest their content and seek the advice of others as to how activities will be undertaken.

Indeed Charlie it is this very stupidity that is accepted by contractors that leads to project overuns, and financial disater.

However if you are saying that during the feasability stage of a project, when the basic paramaters are known but the details are sketchy 30 days has been allowed to produce a committed programme then this is achievable.

Unfortunately you appear not to be saying this and expect a 30,000 activity programme to be produced. What I would say at this point is all liklehood the 30,000 activities you produce, will bear as much resemblance to a programme as a scots pie.

As to the validity of a critical path that this type of programme shows, it will be based on the shaky foundations of experience, politics and stupidity, and will be a path that may as well be paved in yellow bricks.

However at the presentation of the programme I am sure that the audience will be made up of small children who believe that such a programme is not fantasy and that the presenters will have among them a tin man, lion, scarecrow and a pair of very red magic shoes.

If however reality is required, it is incumbent upon both sides of the team, to ensure that adequate time is allowed for the prepartaion of a detailed analysis of the time related aspects of the project, which can be logically linked and analysed to identify those activities which are required to be undertaken to achieve the shortest project period.

My anger, and indeed Charlie I am angry, is that planning is taken as something little more than a joke by most project staff. This is due I believe to a number of factors as follows

1. Everybody thinks they can do it
2. Planners are badly trained and lack experience
3. Planners are prepared to prostitute their skills in a way that Quantity surveyors would never do.
4. Planners rarely have the skill required to rise the corporate ladder and see planning as a safe option.
5. Planners see what they do as being mainly guesswork
6. Most people on a project listen to a planner only when they want a good laugh.

Our inability as planners to get our colleagues to understand that the two threads of project management are cost and time results in the current situtaion we have, where contracts are written saying you have 30 days to work out how long it will take. Could you for example tender all the works packages on such a major project in 30 days, no of course not.

It is this failure to recognise the value planning has to a project that leads to delays and subsequently arse covering litigations by both sides of the project team.

But worst of all Charlie, when you as a perrson who purports to carry the ensign of planning like a fearless warrior, proclaims to our junior colleagues that you have done it. You were the man who turned round the impossible programe of 30,000 actrivities on a 3billion job, I can but ponder when you were swept up in the Tornado in Kansas.
Or, whether your senior management were of the old school who believe planners are there because the contract demands it to be, so get the cheapest most subservient one you can find.

Sad, very very sad.

Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
I think I will just call in the artillary to cover me, whilst I try to implement the PINCER movement.

Just like I do with critical paths and turnips.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
To my Peers in PP,

I will make an addendum. This refer to "exact estimates" compared to "Exact".

During the early days of World War II, the commanding general of the English army in Singapore instructed: gave me the exact estimates of the intent of the Japanese Army.

The reply: The exact estimate is that Japanese will make amphibious landing in Sentosa Island.

So to prepare for the exact estimates of amphibious landing by the Japanese all Guns in Sentosa pointed to the sea

The English army was dead wrong. The Japanese march through Malaysia and hit the English army backside. No guns where fired. Surrender without firing a shot.

Compare with General Douglas MacArthur.

During the early days of World War II, General MacArthur knows exactly where an enemy will attack to conquer Manila. There are two axis: the best option is to send naval vessel (with troops) toward Manila and the other options is to land troops in Lingayen gulf (Pangasinan) and fan out in the Central Plain of Luzon then march towards Manila.

To know exactly the enemy intentions, MacArthur fortified Correigidor, the small island at the entrance to Manila Bay, with Heavy Cannons. For the second option, MacArthur organized guerillas to continually harass and slow down enemy advance.

The Japanese first attempt was to go Manila through Corriegidor Island but the big guns of stop them. The Japanese land troops in Lingayen but the guerillas harass and slow down the advance to Manila. The impact is slow down the Japanese timetable of world dominance.

It is the same with Critical Path. We know that initially the Critical Path is not exact and it is only an estimated guess. As progress of the project moves, monthly update and critical path analysis shall be done to assess the movements of critical activities and critical path.

The point here is that what we are going to do after all this issue is blown out of proportion???? My preference is quite clear.

Cheers,

Joseph
Chris Oggham
Dieter/Oliver,

Charlie does indeed have the right to his opinion and if he wants to say "CRITICAL PATH IS NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE" then let him do so. Of course what people deduce about his personal expertise based upon that statement is entirely up to them.

Charlie says that the judge in Mirant vs Arup also agrees that CRITICAL PATH IS NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE. Perhaps we should remember that a judge is an expert in the law and not project planning or management. I wonder what Charlie’s reaction would be if that judge looked at him and said he was in iminent danger of a heart attack? He would, quite rightly, dismiss such an assertion out of hand, the judge is not a medical expert. So why should anyone give much weight to what a judge says about Critical Paths?

Chris Oggham.
Dieter Wambach
No additional comment from me.

Dieter
Oliver Melling
Charlie,

You are similar to the witnesses in the case.

’In this particular case a number of witnesses were convinced, without the benefit of any critical path analysis, that they knew where the critical path lay. That in fact influenced the decisions made during the project.’

We have the same opinion as Toulmin J.

’Toulmin J agreed with the Core Principle No.1 in the Society of Construction Law Paper that a properly prepared and regularly updated programme would reduce the number of disputes relating to delay.

He did however observe that it was possible to affect the critical path by giving some activities a longer time than was necessary, thus keeping them on the critical path and having the effect of keeping other activities from being on the critical path. This was an implicit recognition of the potential inaccuracy of any programme depending as it does on an estimate of duration of activities.’

Like we said since the thread began, CPM is an exact science, but its accuracy is limited by the integrity of the programme.

A thankyou...
Charleston-Joseph...
Dieter / Olly,

Your opinion is your opnion. Good we have a democratic Planning Planet.

I exercise my right to say my opinion "CRITICAL PATH IS NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE". There is not need for you to agree with me in the same way that there is no need for me to agree with you.

This only show we are democracy.

Please take note that if you read Mirant vs Arup, the judge himself agree with me that CRITICAL PATH IS NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE"

I rest my case.

Judge, please the verdict.

Cheers,

Joseph
Dieter Wambach
Hi Joseph
It is extremely difficult to discuss with someone who doesn’t want to listen.
Item was, if the critical path is scientific. Then you refer to that input is based on assumptions and so CPM cannot be scientific. Wrong! All scientific methods base on assumptions. What is better, make a novel out of a project, were based on your absolute knowledge you know the critical activities and the end-date or to let a software calculate and then evaluate the results? I experienced that especially in big projects I can’t rely on feelings, but on science + experience - well knowing: all is based on data from estimations and assumptions i.e "best practice".
Regards
Dieter
Oliver Melling
Charlie,

I mentioned nothing of language.

Critical Path ’methodology’ is an exact science.

Estimating is not an exact science.

Critical paths are formulated from forward and backwards passes to ’mathematically’ determine the critical path(s).
This relies on the estimating and logic being ’honest’, not ’manufactured’.

Maybe the heshe that taught you was wrong.(it would certainly explain a few things)

Kind Regards,

Oliver

P.S We didn’t lose the empire, we let people have it back.
Charleston-Joseph...
Olly,

I heard this before when I was a small boy starting to learn english.

"Give me the exact estimate of ?????????? whatever."

We are not native born english speaker but we know that this is a wrong use of english.

I’m really sorry for you as a native born english speaker. You don’t know what you are telling the whole PP community.

HOW ON EARTH THAT YOU WILL HAVE AN EXACT SCIENCE WHEN YOU ARE DOING ESTIMATES. Is this accepted in the English Language.

Is my teacher wrong when he/she castigated me that such usage is not logical.

OLLY, are you an engineer. In England or UK they dont differentiate natural science like Newton Law of Motion against hearsay / estimates. Estiimates is an estimates. How come it will be exact.

My goodness what on earth happen to the new breed of englishmen. Maybe one reason you lost your Empire where the sun dont settle.

Im sorry for you;

CPM is an exact science based upon your best estimate.

Cheers,

Joseph

Oliver Melling
A critical path is the result of planning based upon estimates and educated logic.

Lets not forget the arguement is are they any good?

The answer is yes, if the duration and logic are based on reality.

The answer is no, if you try to force activities on to the critical path by changing logic and estimated durations.

The size of the project doesn’t affect how you arrive at the critical path, it only means that during progress the path may change more often.

CPM is an exact science based upon your best estimate. The baseline is the only thing you can compare against.
Charleston-Joseph...
Dieter,

Have you done a scheduling for 3 Billion USD project with 30,000 activities that start from Design (conceptual, schematics, detailed desing or Design Concept 1,2,3 and 4) procurement of major machineries and long lead items, construction (infrstructures, buildings, utilities, mep, etc) testing and commissioning????????????????????

The schedule as per contract shall be submitted within 30 days after signing of contract otherwise a certain amount from the billing will be witheld until an approved schedule will materialize. Have you been in this situation before wherein failure of the planning engineer will result in marching order and flight back home to country of origin.

Do you think those planners will still arrive at critical path as an exact science??????????? Be realistic

I agree to construct small dog house for english bull dog, maybe, the critical path might be an exact science. The critical path for family planning can be an exact science.

But no way for EPC MEGA project in the oil and gas, building construction, etc. in the range of 10 Billion USD above.

Cheers,

Joseph
Dieter Wambach
Hi Joseph

I reflected some time to answer to such an agressive post. Why do you think that you’ll have to follow that style. Was it because as you said in a previous post’: "I learn to live in reality since my idealism (also my youth) has long gone."
Ok, I am a scheduler and although I covered my 30years of business experience January this year, I like my job. Therefore still I am enthusiastic to work as a scheduler.
"So your if and then, opinion is irrelevant." This is no way for discussion!
That’s for your attacks against me.
Critical Path is an exact science! As an engineer you "I grow up eating numbers" that’s not mathematics.
I absolutely agree that a plan’s quality depends on the persons by whom it was created - and what’s for narrative reports, you like so much? For both you have a human input with all possibilities for error. The result in one case is absolutely unstructured with all chances for manipulation and/or personal evaluation the other is a structured result were all assumptions can be traced.

I would like to ask you a favour: Keep normal human politeness even if someone doesn’t completely follow your ideas.

Regards
Dieter

p.s. Did you ever plan a wedding? It’s a horror.
Clive Randall
Ill leave Dieter to respond to your last post

but

you said

"I your example regarding car assembly, this is operation. The culture of operation is different in project."

I see car assembly as being in principle the same as construction. Your take a raw product and turn it into a finished product. Whether you do that in a factory , as in the case of motor cars and toilet pods, or on a site the principles are the same. Construction has little in the way of being unique, maybe the design is different but the products, methods and materials are as old as man.

I therfore cannot agree that construction sits somwhere on the cutting edge of mans ability to undertake each and every unique project.

We after all are only repeating that which has been done a million times before.

Now my mate Frank was a chap who studied what we do in a very scientific manner, and it may help you to read what he said

Gilbreth, Frank, Bricklaying System, NY and Chicago, The Myron C. Clark Publishing Co., 1909. [Easton, PA, Hive Publishing (reprint), 1974.]

Gilbreth, Frank, Concrete System, NY, The Engineering News Publishing Co., 1908

If you want a bigger look at this really smart guy have a look at this

http://gilbrethnetwork.tripod.com/gbooks.html

Seems to me if we bothered in the last 100 years to take his work further we would not be scratching around on sites as we still are.

He also wrote this

Gilbreth, Frank & Lillian, Time and Motion Study As Fundamental Factors in Planning and Control, New Jersey, The Mountainside Press, 1921. [booklet]

So I would say that planning and particuarly critical path is and should be scientific. Our failure to treat it with the respect it deserves leads others to question its strengths, which in turn undermines planning and planners as a career.

Charleston-Joseph...
Dieter,

I’m an engineer. I grow up eating numbers, from arithmetic, mathematics, deferential calculus, integral calculus, engineering mathimatics, structural design, etc.

You can name what branch of mathematics you involved with

So your if and then, opinion is irrelevant.

You have to understand that the foundation of duration estimates is governs by the law of probability. Do you understand the Law of Probability.

You have to understand that the critical path will always be arrive by the links of activities as understood by the planner. As you are aware, a lot of planners call themselves planners just because they know how to punch the computers keyboards. And this is the reality.

Do you think the planner is not human subject and limited to his understanding not govern by the natural law of nature including the natural law of mathematics.

In conclusion, critical path will never be an exact science due to inputs by planners (humans), some hafl bake planners/ some only good as wedding planners.

Cheers,

Joseph
Dieter Wambach
Hi Joseph
If you are sure that Mathematics is not an exact science, then you are absolutely right.
Critical Path is a part of Graph Theory, which is a part of Mathematics. Main algorithm developped by Dijkstra in 1959.
If you work with manipulated length, any algorithm will follow GIGO principle - Garbage-In-Garbage-Out. The result will be wrong. But if we work with best practice assumptions, there is a big chance, to get a correct critical path.
You are right, real life sometimes is different: Last week I received a nice "schedule" with no relation, but "critical activities". It wasn’t a joke!

Regards
Dieter
Charleston-Joseph...
Clive,

I your example regarding car assembly, this is operation. The culture of operation is different in project.

Project is unique.

I agree with your example with concerning our industry. Construction generally are projects. Even how much we learn from previous experienced, projects are still unique.

But what we really needs to focus is project management best practice. On planning side, the Mirant vs Arup case give us lesson learn on the way we treat Critical Path.

For example, what jusdge XXX notice is that while the argument focus on critical path, one sub con ZZZ did event bother to update schedule. So strange????

When I workd, I always insisted on a narrative of the critical path. How the critical path change, why, how come, etc. Then this scenario will be betted by senior management on how they feel

I did this now that I’m the project manager. But there are resistance because we planners are experieced in different background, educational attainment. nationality project culture, etc.

I learn to live in reality since my idealism (also my youth) has long gone.

But, you reference to Marant vs Arup, is an ammunition to me to convince my superior that we do need to monitor dritical path (including manipulation of critical path).

Cheers,

Charlie
Clive Randall
"Critical path is really not an exact science."

The method of critical path analysis I would suggest is quite exacting. The failure of planners to make the actual prepartion more scientific is I feel a failure of the construction industry, but not perhaps a failure of other industries.

Our failure appears to come from our inability to collect and colate records of production, which is where I would suggest, our failure lies to be able to accurately determine within reasonable limits the duration of an activity.

For example, in a car assembly plant a serries of tasks must be performed to assemble a car. This is carried out by workers who have been trained to undertake the task allthough their physical characteristics are often different. The task duration is similar for all undedrtaking the task and time and motion studies have identified the task duration. Constant monitoring and improvements have and continue to improve the process. Thus a car can be assmebled within a defined period. The critical path we therfore assume will run through the assembly process and will be accurately known.

In construction we fail to train, we fail to record outputs and we have little in the way of contemporary information regarding outputs. We rely heavily on rules of thumb and archaic principles, or more often just leave it all to the subby and hope for the best.

In principle, and on the basis of the number of times we have undertaken a task we should be able to accurately predict a tasks durtaion on a standard deviation principle. Because we do not record our previous task durations, we cannot do this, and due to this failure, our critical paths are little more than best guess assumptions as to what may happen if the sun shines every day.

I would for example like to hear from anybody who works in a company with a proceedure for assinging inclement weather days to a programme. However, the data is available, so why do these proceedures not exist or get used by the majority of planners? Perhaps we should establish on this site an inclement weather constants site.

Charlie it seems to me that we do not monitor enough, if we did we would know why and when we fall behind programme.

Take a very simple example of our industry, the construction of the concrete frame of a buiulding. Traditionally this will be measured and quantities placed in a bill of quantities. Is this a waste of time, I would suggest yes. The collection of quantities into a large number is meaningless. If quantities were presented in the way they were measured that would be very helpfull. If for example the beams were numbered on each floor and measured and each beam was quantified, similar for walls and columns. I would know when I was planning what the quants were and assign a reasonable duration to them. Why cant I? Well its because they have been rolled up. The planner must then remeasure if he has time, or guess which is the most likely to happen. This is not because the info has not been produced but because it is not available. The same happens when ordering the concrete the volume must be remeasured.

Do you know a great number of QS practices dont even use CAD when preparing bills. What is this all about? So even when we have the science we dont use it, and that is why we may as well be a stone age man driving a Maserati Quatroporte.

We excuse ourselves by saying Critical Path is not an exact science while running a piece of software designed to manage the most complex tasks known to man.

It makes me want to shed my deerskin and scream.
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi Clive,

Critical path is really not an exact science.

It is very easy to tweak an activity duration longer than what is necessary for critical path to pass the said activities. This will hide those suppose to be critical activities. This is one reason that Senior project team member must supervise the works of Junior team members considering that Senior citizens of the project team have wisdom on how project implementation will proceed.

What we have to note is that CRITICAL PATH analysis is very important in Calims for Delay.

I thank you for your referal of the post below with regards to Mirant VS Arup.

Since critical path is not an exact science, then it need to be monitored perdiodically, preferablly, monthly basis. We know that during monthly updates, some critical activities will no longer become critical. There is a shifting of critical path. And this need to be analysis on why this is so, how, what, etc, etc.

What I’m trying to say is: The importance of critical path analysis on delay claims.

and, I hope you agree with me.

Cheers,

Joseph
Oliver Melling
or an ashtray on a motorbike.
Clive Randall
Andrew

I agree, and thats why I said that it is an important tool in the Arsenal infering it was not the only tool.

As a Totenham supporter I would consider there are numerous tools in Arsenal, sorry I could not resist.

The thread posting attempted to infer that when drawing up a programme, a critical path may develop in the most unexpected areas, such as resources, tower cranes, electricity,

I once had a job that limited floor cycles because of available generators to weld the shear studs.

I am all in favour of giving the guys that do the work the appropiate toolsd to successfully complete a project.

I have never seen a project suceed only because it had a good programme, it is a team effort and a pasty planner locked in his den is no better than a chocolate fireguard.

Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline
Are we forgetting that the "Programme or Schedule" is only one tool in the project managers armoury.

Have any Planners here utilised Last Planner Techniques.

In my mind the programme is the road map, it cannot be used stand alone.
Support the programme with sequence diagrammes sketches anything to get the message accross.

The important thing is to ensure the men at the "coal face" have the tools and resources when they need them.
Clive Randall
Dear Charlie

I really would like you to read the judgement that I posted below. It was brought to my attention by Andrew. While it is long winded, as legal writings often are, it reinforces the idea that the only way to find out where the critical paths are is to programme properly.

Your comment below appears to be part of the rationale why in this case, the project manager got it badly wrong and the project ran over time.

"For experienced planner or project managers, the critical path can be easily determined dependent on project location. "

While I fully apprecaite that to develop an accurate critical path requires experience, I would hesitate to say that this in itself is the only requirement. It also requires a mindset that does not decide the outcome prior to the planning being completed. Planning undertaken from first principles can identify areas that properly considered make experience seem flawed.

On the project sighted for example, the concrete supply was insufficient to meet the programmed outputs. Who for example would imagine initially that this would be an issue, but in remote locations the critical path may well run thru the provision of transportation facilities capable of delivering materials and manpower. Or other areas such as electricity, water or even accommodation and messing.

By predetermining the outcome, important issues may easily be overlooked, these issues may subsequently return to haunt the unwary planner.

So in conclusion, in my opinion, critical paths and rescheduled critical paths can be all they are cracked up to be. In the right hands they are a powerful tool in the project management arsenal.
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi Stephen,

Refer to your original post no. 1.

A planner usually do the best he can in the preparation of work program or schedule. This is dependent on his academic background, if the planner has one and his actual field experience.

For Junior planner, generally the work schedule will be commented by senior planner. And this is why you ask the question if critical path are cracked up.

For experienced planner or project managers, the critical path can be easily determined dependent on project location. That is why you sometimes questioned if critical path are cracked up.

Your problem start when people start to questioned the way you prepare you program including critical path.

Cheers,

Joseph
Dieter Wambach
Hi Clive
Just read those parts of this article related to critical path. For my opinion it is an excellent support for our work - especially against those
- Who are convinced to know critical path from the beginning
- Who ignore the importance to schedule a project regularly inclusive a given forecast on basis of the actuals and to keep regular baselines (the complete project!)
- Who ignore the importance to "stay on the ball" as a project manager, i.e. regular and frequent updates of progress.

Thank you for this link although it was hard to read on early Saturday morning.

Best regards

Dieter
Clive Randall
read this and then tell me what you think Stephen

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/TCC/2007/918.html
Stephen Magill
I agree clive

thats a brilliant idea. im going to start thinking like that. construction programme. none of clients business. leave us alone and we’ll deliver the building on the agreeed date.

its sometimes the simple ideas are the best ones.

James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Well done Clive - my sentiments also.

We currently have a client who wants to prescribe so much that we might just as well ask him to construct the programme as well. He can then make it fit his own mindless milestone dates. All we’ll do is the work.
Clive Randall
Stephen
What I was refering to was the ability to maintain an accurate critical path on a high level programme.

You are indeed correct that in the majority of programmes the client demands you to imagine what a project will look like 2 years into construction , on numerous occassions without any reference to the fact you may have very sketchy info regarding these activities. He will also expect the critical path to look a certain way, which often is not the case.

The best you can normally do is leave them as global activities which you then define as information becomes available.

I rarely see a programme as part of the contract documentation although the specification may require all sorts of hoops to be jumped through at spercific points of the process.

My advice has always been, the programme is the contractors, if you want your own Mr Consultant go off and generate it, otherwise butt out of my charts.

I would rather go to an arbitration with a contractors programme that told it how it was than one that told it the way the consultant wanted to see it. After all it is the contractors construction/progress tool not the consultants.

Nine times out of ten the person reviewing it will not have a clue what it means and will throw up spurious comments as to why its wrong, however as he never approves it but only comments on it, I will generally ignore totally what they say.

As to ammendments I make them where neccessary and whether it is accepted or not by the dark side is almost irrelevant.

The rule is, its my programme and if you dont like it tough. Not many contractors will be considered in breach because the consultant didnt like the programme.
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Clive / Oliver / Dieter,

Please correct me, if I am wrong...

The intention when developing d program, shud b always positive. I wud like to use d word HOLISTIC approach while developing the program. Its absolutely true, that Client wants to expedite the project always and needs to be completed in a shortest possible time.

But, once the program is over, who would like to hear the comments from PM "I need to be that in this way, YOU SHOULD HAVE CONSIDERED ALL THESE THINGS"

So, involve Project Manager / Construction Manager right from the beginning while creating the WBS. We as planners, pick-up the duration and the relationships from the WORK METHOD STATEMENTS for all activities. These WMS’s are written/guided by them only.

We work on these durations and sequence set by the construction team. Don’t we?

So, being a planner, we develop the schedule and then find out the end date of the project. If it is going outside the clients requirement date, then we tried to pull it backward by using standard PM techniques supported by the project management software available.

Also, when we are actually CRASHING THE PROJECT, (may be because of culpable delays or as required by client in lieu of Acceleration cost), we FIRST DETERMINE THE ACTIVITIES NEED TO BE CRASHED and then start the scheduling.

Also, same principle follows during FAST TRACKING. PM/CM governs the activities need to be done with SS relationship.

In all the above cases, we follow the basic guidelines set by the PM/CM.

AND THEN THERE COMES, TO PREVENT UR OWN SKIN after such a HOLISTIC APPROACH

What the SCL SAYS,

Critical path analysis (CPA) and critical path method (CPM) - The critical path analysis or method is the process
of deducing the critical activities in a programme by tracing the logical sequence of tasks that directly affect the date of project completion.

So, ultimately we are NOT changing the project duration in either case. Just we are trying to be bit smarter than the person sitting on the opposite chair.

Hope I am clear this time?

Cheers,
Oliver Melling
Stephen,

Change control process.

It isn’t a EOT process.

Its up to the PM and client to decide whether or not the programme changes, its just sometimes easier to save up your changes for a re-baseline/EOT.

Oliver
Stephen Magill
Clive,

How do you mean? All the tenders i have seen have had a very specific set of requirements from the client, critical path being one of them.

How do you go to contract without a critical path?

Also another thing which annoys me is the only time we are allowed to change a contract programme is after an EOT. its ridiculous. that you have to build the building exactly how you build it in your head 4 months previously, regardless of any other inbformation you recieve in the mean time.. I think we have it all round the wrong way over here.. to much work for the client to rearrange cash flows etc if the MWP changes, so it just isnt allowed to change.
Stephen Magill
Dieter,

Ur right, this ’predefined’ critical path is completely wrong. but sometimes rank is pulled and the bid director, construction manager, planning manager, whoever, turns round and says, ’it doesnt look right, you have to change that’...

maybe thats why i have so little confidence in it.
Clive Randall
Interesting my high level programmes are usually hammocks of other activities. These hammocks do reflect criticality
Oliver Melling
How can you do it Raviraj’s way?

He mentions to extend the client activities? If they want a project expedited quickly then they won’t allow you to control the length of time it takes them to fulfil ’their’ obligations.

Self defence comes in the form of contingency in cost and time, this may inadvertantly change the critical path, but these changes should not be a foundation for the programme.

Such practices are why it costs so much to do so little. The whole point of project management and programmes in particular is to give a CLEAR representation of the intended obligations of all parties to help acheive the common goal.
Stephen Magill
Raviraj,

Sorry for the overreaction, was in a bad mood yesterday. feel much better today as am going on my holidays tomorrow :)

I work for a main contractor. The client always sets the timeframe for delivery and increasingly these timeframes are more and more demanding, therefore the luxury of dropping 6 squads to 2 is rarely available to me. infact its more the opposite just to allow us to tick the box and say ’yes, we can build it in the time’.

For submissions entered, high level programmes show what the client likes to see, a lovely red path running through the programme highlighting critical tasks. Although without exceptionally detailed scheduling, an accurate link cannot be picked up from a 7 month task. it can be and is manipulated to make sure the right tasks are glowing red after it. instead of starting 1 month into the task, it starts two months in etc..

it ends up that only parts of my task are critical and i cant show that on a high level programme...
Nicolas Igersheim
User offline. Last seen 7 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all,

In my experience, you seldom find
a team of PM + Client + Subcontractors + ...
without a "bad egg" of sorts, or more.

To cope with him or them, you more or less have to play
the game according to the way Raviraj describes it.
I would call it self defense?

Dieter Wambach
Raviraj

Oliver and Clive are absolutely right. I saw many "planners" painting a schedule, predefining a "critical path" and later not realising a project running against a wall.
No, it isn’t a game, planning is a serious work!

Dieter
Oliver Melling
A GOOD planner plans the activities in a logical manner according the driving and succeeding matters associated with each individual activity.

Changing the durations of estimates and introducing false logic to doctor the critical path isn’t best practice.

Increasing durations makes projects longer and who is it that decides on the lengths of activities the client is responsible for?

Answer: The client.

There is a little thing called contingency which is used to help mitigate risks. If there is little risk, then their should be little contingency.

Mind games are for incompentant PM’s working in projects without trust.

Oliver
Clive Randall
I find your response Raviraj extremely sad for a number of reasons.

A good logically linked network should if constructed correctly, identify what has to be done, to handover a project to the client in the shortest possible time. These activities are deemed critical and should not be manipulated by parties to achieve their own ends above those of others, whether the others are consultants, contractors or subcontractors.

A good consultant should have determined how long it will take to turn round documentation and advised the contractor of said periods in the tender documents. These periods should then form part of the contract. When the consultant carries out his feasability studies and preliminary programme to determine a contract duration prior to establishing this in the tender documents he will recognise the implications of his turn round periods and justify their length to his client.

I disagree that planning is a game, however I have seen many consultants treat it as such in their efforts to not be pinned down to any commitments on their onbligations.

Ultimately it is in the Clients interests to have the project in the shortest possible time, which, in my opinion, is achieved by the consultant and contractor working together. It also is achieved by focussing on reducing the length of what are deemed critical activities if their is an economic justification so to do.
A D
A good Planner before start of the program will definitely ask the CM/PM of teh project, what are teh activities / work packages, that need to be on the CRITICAL PATH, rather than following the CRITICAL PATH which is program generated.

That too is a sort of manipulation, but practically, it works!!

Ultimate need of the Client, is to have project on TIME.

Consultant / Contractor will just make sure not to be on the CRITICAL PATH, by increasing duration of the activities, for which opposite party is responsible.

Just a mind-playing game. But, it really works and who so ever is SMART wins the race!!

Cheers,

Raviraj
Clive Randall
So what your saying is you minipulate the critical path so that your responsibilities are not critical

Thats good for the Client is it?
A D
Hi Steve,

Just kidding. Wanted to have a fresh and relaxing mood after posting so many detailed & serious thoughts. Just tried to make everybody smile, with no intentions of hurting anybody. Sorry, if it hurts u.

Well, overall CRITICAL PATH doesn’t make any sense, as even delay in few activities in the start of the project, will change the CRITICAL PATH a lot. Thats y, d concept of AS-BUILT CRITICAL PATH (ABCP) is developing these days.

Being on the consultant side, i never keep activities, for which I am responsible, on the critical path.

e.g. Approval of technical specifications, Engg. submittals and drawings or weather award of Nominated Sub-contractor or Sanction of Provisional sum Items. Or even approval of samples, submitted by the contractor.

Never keep them on the critical path. I would give contractor some more duration keeping his activities on the critical path and having float for me.

But, if u r working on CONTRCATOR side, then its vis-a-vis. Try to put less gangs on a particular activity, say tiling works (for a Building project) and get d approval of Tiles much earlier. Say, if its a 60 floor building, then put two gangs instead of 6, and make approval of tiles much earlier. In this case, you got a chance to even put 6 gangs later gangs on site, if theres a delay from client and then ask for the acceleration cost.

Make more money is the basic intention of the BUSINESS keeping the stakeholders need as it is.

HOPE I m clear.

Cheers,

Raviraj
Oliver Melling
Steve,

In one way I agree CPM is not all it could be.

In theory it is excellent but in practice it only works with a flawless schedule.

And to get a flawless schedule isn’t possible.

Oliver
A D
Blah Blah Blah.......

Stephen, have a KISS (Keep It Short & Simple)
Stephen Magill
Raviraj,
apologies for not being able to express myself in 11 syllables.
If you cant be arsed to read the thread, dont make a comment on it. The subject matter deserves some explanation.
If i had have left it at:’i think critcal paths are crap, who agrees?’
i maybe would have got a constructive answer from you along the lines of:’i think they are too.’
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. didnt really want this thread to turn into a bitching session as i am generally interested in the idea of an alternative way of thinking, so if you are gonna reply, lets save everyone the bother and email me. Cheers.

Oliver,
Thats exactly what ive been told. If it only works with a flawless programme should we not be looking for a theory which is practical and has some flexibility? (this may even exist but i just dont know about it.)I dont think i disagree with critical tasks, its more the path through them i dislike. i just think theres alot of room for improvement. especially when the outcome is so important i.e EOT

Ste