Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How is a Construction Master Plan should be?

5 replies [Last post]
Khuong Do
User offline. Last seen 16 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I wonder anybody can send me some guide book to show the way create a construction master plan.
What activity type, relationship we should use in master plan?
I don’t know how is it different from a detail plan.

Replies

Tu Huynh Van
User offline. Last seen 15 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

- There is no Guide Book & Standard for Master Plan,
- Make the Draft Overview show at high level of all buildings in your project, identifying principal activities, logic, durations and milestones. Client comment/freeze this draft. Also know as Master plan.
- If we need to show The Master Plan in The Overall Time Schedule, the first is the Handover dates (Milestone), the sencond we put the Master Plan, and after is the Detail Schedule/Plan.

- For controlling & progressing activities in Master plan "chapter", we can set activity type (in Master Plan) is LOE and set relationship SS & FF to the correct "Building" activities in Detail Schedule "chapter".

- John Lawson, you are right.

Good luck,
Huynh Van Tu

John Lawson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

Contruction Master Plans are produced/developed to comply with the contractual requirements for the project.

The Master Plan should show at a high level of detail the overall timetable for the project, identifying principal activities, logic, durations and milestones.

Normally the Master Schedule wil be produced on a single sheet of paper, which is updated/progressed on a regular bases, i.e. weekly / monthly. It will form the bases of all reporting to the client, i.e S’curves are developed from the plan etc..

Most of the detail will be found by reading the contract, drawings, specifications etc i.e key dates for starting and completing items of work, the work scope of what is to be produced (best to stick to the descripions/names as used in the contract). In general the plan should demonstrate that the work within the contract can be completed in the contract period.

The detail schedule/plan will "sit" below the Master Plan, and provide the detail for the progress up date of the master schedule.

The normal method of developement would be produce and agree the Master Plan and then develope the Detail plans to fit within the planned logic, dates & durations.

As for guide books all projects are differant (well most), so books will not really help, however the Planning Engineering Organisation (PEO) has a list of publications that may help, http://www.planningengineers.org/

regards

John
Hady Shendy, PMP
User offline. Last seen 11 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
For the construction Master plan Activity List are;
- Site grading
- Excavation
- PCC
- Reinforecement works
- Form works
- Concreting works(RCC- Foundation) (up to plinth level)
- Concreting works (RCC-Suoer str.)( Above plinth level)
- back filling
- Sand Filling (if Required)
- RCC/ Brick Drain works
- Brick works
- Door/window works
- Plastering
- Painting
- Roof treament works
- Roofing works
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

there ’s no standard for master schedule.

In general, master schedule is a high level schedule to control the overall time of a project. we can further breakdown the master schedule to creat detail schedule. sometime e.g. in bidding, the detail information is not available, we also make such kind of high level schedule.

different project/client have different undterstanding of ’highlevel’/’master schedule’.

some client only need ’substruction construction’ in master scheule, while others may require ’pile cap rebar installation’

anon ymous
User offline. Last seen 16 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Moderator ? is this a topic for this forum - perhaps training?