Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Problem of Too many FS Relations

2 replies [Last post]
rauf kensuk
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Project: Typical Residence House Project   I am preparing a schedule of residence project. Construction contains 17 Blocks and each block has approx. 11 floors. So that too many activities and it s about to get 11.000 activites.    Even i don't want but i use too many "FS relationships" in order to hang the activities in timeline and I know it will cause too many Out-Of-Seqeunce ("OOS").    1st Floor >>FS>> 2nd Floor >>FS>> 3rd Floor   In practical 2nd floor may start without waiting for finishing 1st Floor and that cause "OOS"   To avoid that i m thinking to use 1st Floor >>SS and FF and + LAG: 1st Floor Duration >> 2nd Floor. If 2nd floor starts before finishing 1 st Floor, it will cause a gap as 1st Floor Remaining duration for 2nd Floor activity but not OOS, I think.    Doing SS + FF + Lag, what else may it cause a problem that I can't imagine ?  

Thanks in advance

Replies

Jerome Odeh
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Rauf,

If only P6 had Soft & Hard logic features where we can identify preferential and mandatory logic relationships. Unfortunately, the gods at Oracle hardly listen to end-users so are deaf to our features requirements.

As for your schedule problem, I'd stick to FS relationshiips and change these logics to SS if a successor starts before the predecessor finishes when I enter ACTUALS. Just ensure that your Schedule Basis Memorandum makes it clear which relationships ar soft (preferential) & which ones are hard (mandatory) and update these assumptions during your regular schedule update cycle.

===

jerome odeh

https://www.plannersplace.com/

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 37 min ago. Offline

The following article might be of particular interest to users of P6 as out of the box it fails to identify many such occurrences.

Out-of-Sequence Progress

Among a few I have the following comments;

Image-121

Image-130

When is Out-of-Sequence not Out-of-Sequence? - A deeper out-of-sequence condition is demonstrated using OOS Act 3. It began as logic allows, immediately following the logical completion of OOS Act 2, so it would appear to not be out-ofsequence. An expanded view of the actual status compared with original logic shows that OOS Act 3 began prior to the finish of Act A and is thus logically out-of-sequence with Act A. No commercial software currently reports this condition as an out-of-sequence start.

*********************************************************************               

Spider does not labels activites as out-of-sequence or not out-of-sequence, it is enough to identify broken dependencies.

If OOS-3 requires some information that is prepared on activity OOS-2 and OOS-2 was finished it can be done even though activity OOS-2 was done out of sequence. lf OOS-3 started before finish of OOS-2 then the link would be broken.

Spider identifies OOS-2 as having a broken link, OOS-3 as not having a broken link, Spider delays remaining durarion of OOS-2 and OOS-3 after finish of Act-A restoring all broken dependencies still active when option to restore all broken dependencies is selected.

I wonder if P6 not being able to identify some OOS ocurrences is just a report issue or if it also means it can miss the implementation of retained logic for these ocurrences.