Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Converting MSP TO P6 with Activity Relationship

19 replies [Last post]
Nathan Siva
User offline. Last seen 48 weeks 7 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Expats,

I'm trying to convert one of my project from MSP to P6 due to client demand, but afted converted the file, I can't to see atcitivty relationship.

Is any way convert MSP to P6 with relationship and Activity Code

Thanks,

Replies

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline
I agree about CA's Superproject, in fact Supercalc was as good a spreadsheet as there was available as well. If you buy the software company, fire the developers, and milk the marketplace, it doesn't take long to kill the product. Yes, Rafael, that’s them!
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 17 hours 15 min ago. Offline

Are we talking about the following company?

https://www.sec.gov/news/press/2004-134.htm

Ironically they had a good accounting software for old DOS that included Job Costing.

Hi Alexandre,

I remember CA SuperProject.

It was one of the best sheduling tools at its time.

I did not understand why it just disappeared.

Hi David,

I understand the restricitions with the tools selection.

But there are certain problems and limitations with Monte Carlo simulation that are not discussed, or hided, or just not understood.

In following presentation some of them were discussed http://www.spiderproject.com/images/img/pdf/Construction%20CPM%20Conference%202019/Risk%20simulation%20problems%20and%20advantages.pdf

I hope that it can be of interest to you.

David Kelly

Gosh, Vladimir, that’s quite a can of worms you opened. I think in the last forty years the “y” axis that all of my client’s cared about when assessing risk, is money not manhours. So, yes, technically unlimited resources.

Of course, using an external tool for risk is unsound. But my clients’ commitment to Primavera is such there is no alternative.

David,

I expect that you simulate risks for projects with unlimited resources.

Any external risk simulation tool is not applicable for projects with resource constraints.

David Kelly

Bizarrely, PRA is an excellent tool to convert MSP to P6, but I don’t think anyone should spend thousand of dollars on an obsolete risk analysis product that will no longer talk directly to the P6 database, in order to do a conversion. Collabro’s Legare does the expert job, and will work with SAP, Maximo, and any other work management source.

Alexandre, I think PRA was top-of-the-class once, but no more. Oracle have done nothing with it, demonstrating again that they are the 21st century version of Computer Associates - buy the software company, squeeze the users for everything they have got, do no upgrades, and sell them a new product when their old one fails. I use Full Monte now. It is a 21st century solution and a quarter of the price with better maths/performance/documentation/support/ease of use/integration etc. etc.

Alexandre,

PRA is an exellent tool but don't rely on it when project resources are limited.

Any external risk simulation software is not reliable for projects with resource constraints.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 1 hour ago. Offline

xertransfer I am telling you this is your best bet

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 51 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Permaster, now called Primavera Risk Analysis is now 15+yrs old, isn't sold or supported by Oracle and when was being sold, cost about USD$10k a license.

XER Transfer is much cheaper, and more current option.

Angelito Estrella
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 days ago. Offline

Have you tried "Pertmaster v8".

Angelito Estrella
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 days ago. Offline

Have you tried "Pertmaster v8".

Sterling Gallagher
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Nathan Siva

Xertransfer will do what you are looking for.  You can download a 30 day trial and I am happy to give you a zoom orientation to give you a run throughof how it works.  Send an email to support@xertransfer.com after you download and I will assist you.  Please note you will need Microsoft Ppoject 2013 or later to use XerTransfer.

https://xertransfer.com/trial/

Regards

Sterling

Director XerTransfer

Zoltan Palffy

and it will be much more accurate than anything out there 

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 51 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Converting from MSP to P^ (or Vice Versa) is a pain, use the tool suggested by Zoltan, the time and effort it saves will pay for itself.

Zoltan Palffy

try this there is a free trial and you can map any field including activity codes

https://xertransfer.com/