Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Convert Activity Codes to WBS

10 replies [Last post]
Michiel Janssens
User offline. Last seen 10 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

Dear all,

I can find lots of references on converting the WBS of a project to Activity codes, but none about converting the other way around.

I have a schedule that is organized using various activity codes, to make an export to MS Project I would like to convert the current layout using activity codes to a WBS. Can anybody please advice on the possibilities? 

Replies

Michiel Janssens

@Arnold:

I am very interested in the steps you mention, are you willing to share these, either on the forum of by email?

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Michiel,

The only fastest and easisest way to create WBS is by using the SDK. However, If you cannot access your SDK you can then use the Microsoft Access as shown below: I have the steps created out of this.

ms_access.png

Cheers,

Arnold

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 20 hours 23 min ago. Offline

Michiel,

If the Citrix server is emulating windows XP then if you can get a license of SureTrack it shall run and give you access to the XER to P3 file converter as well as to the P3 to XER.  Using the SureTrak provided script might do it. 

Not bad for one time execution on each job you and your co-workers have such need. 

Of course you might use SureTrak to get the MSP files directly and keep your single WBS as P6 is not capable of handling multiple WBS. 

Good Luck,

Rafael

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 32 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Michiel,

Check out the Project and import to another PC with standalone. After completing the Job Check in back to the Server.

Hope this will help

Michiel Janssens

@Raymund

We use a network installation of P6 on a citrix-server, I don't think it is possible for me to use the SDK, I am checking with our ICT-guys to see if this is possible.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 32 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Michiel,

I suggest you use the excel through SDK. Or copy paste those codes into wbs pane.

Regards,

Michiel Janssens

@ Khaja

The problem is I don't have a WBS, the schedule is grouped by using activity codes, I am looking for a way to more or less atomatically convert the result I get bij grouping by activity code to a WBS.

Michiel Janssens

@Rafael:

I would like to thank you for your offer to help me to create the files. but I am looking for a more permanent solution we can use across my company. I will take a look at Spider Project, thanks.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 20 hours 23 min ago. Offline

Michiel,

For other software such as Old SureTrak with the use of a provided script you could do it, also it is embedded in Spider Project.  You just need to tell the software which activity codes you want to use and the hierarchy order they will be organized.

With Spider we have unlimited WBS Structures or Dictionaries so you can define several WBS using different codes and codes hierarchy order.

photo wbsbycodes_zpsc84383e2.jpg

If you send me the Xer file with the list(s) of activity codes and the order I can create several files for you with the desired combinations.  Maybe with the use of a user defined field we can save several of the WBS codes so you can use a global change to switch WBS.  I have never tried it before but we can try. 

Best Regards,

Rafael

Khaja Sharief
User offline. Last seen 10 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

This should be easy, provided you had earlier structured the activities into WBS. Go to View, click Group and Sort->customize->under Group by select WBS. Then apply and click ok. Now you can activities sorted by WBS. 

In case you haven't created WBS and were using activity codes to sort. You need to first create the WBS by going to Project->WBS. Having done this, you then need to go to activity window, select each activity under general tab you can find WBS linking tab. Then start establishing the link between the WBS and activities. Other easy way if your activity codes resemble to same wbs. Insert a column wbs in the window and select first activity and select the wbs. Now select the activity and along with other activities falling under the same wbs using control key or shift key and use fill down option. 

Hope this will adress the issue.