Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Converting Activity Codes when exporting

6 replies [Last post]
Paul Naughton
User offline. Last seen 10 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have created a number of programmes in P3e for use by another part of the organisation. The intention is for them to export the programmes to MSP 2000 for use on site then import in the progressed programmes for analysis.

Having just moved from P3 to P3e/5.0 I’m still learning the best way to code the programmes for my purposes. I can export to MSP, make changes and then import to P3e/P5.0 and keep the Activity ID’s and WBS but I am losing all the activity codes.

I see from the export/import options I can map UDF’s, can I do something similar with activity codes?

Replies

Paul Naughton
Barry,

sounds great in theory, unfortunately what I know about VBA could be written on the back of a stamp.

Paul
Barrie Callender
User offline. Last seen 46 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
You could do something very clever and write code to be called by Microsoft Project that can move data from P3e to Project. I’ve used a combination of the P3e Import routines and VBA before to load data into P3e (including Activity Codes) and the same ideas will work the other way
Paul Naughton
Nige,

I get confused with all the different versions of P3e, I’m on V5 and have exported a test file into MSP but cannot find any of the activity codes.

Do I understand from your last message they should be there?

Paul
Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 1 year 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Paul

Activity codes are no problem except...P3e, when it exports to MSP, will only send over the first ten sets of codes - responibility, discipline, type, area etc - so it may be an idea to sort them in the order in which you need them rather than alpha-numerically.

I use a couple of temporary codes - for those "odd" filters etc - which I make sure are at the bottom of the list at positions 11 and 12 onwards.

When in MSP, you can use the ’group and sort’ to sort the programme by the act codes rather than by the summary bars MSP creates. This means that you can effectively re-create the P3e look.

Don’t forget that the MSP when re-imported MUST be properly progressed or everything will start at the data date! REAL pain in the whatsits! You will have to go into each activity and set the start and finish dates, percentage complete etc in MSP before exporting and re-importing - even via Excel. Something that most MSP users do not do.

(Found this out to my cost!)

Oh and don’t forgt that the activity ids will change due to the way MSP works if you add in more activities in P3e.

Hope this helps. Post again if you need more as there are loads of users out there who must have other tips.

Cheers

Nige
Paul Naughton
Thanks Nige,

From this do I take it I am better to avoid activity codes altogether and use UDF’s instead, or will I find I need to use the activity codes to get some functionality?

Paul
Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 1 year 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Create a user defined field and use global change to copy the activity id into the user defined field - my system is down or else I would give you exact details.

When you then open MSP they will appear in the same field.

Hope this helps

Nige