Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How can I Schedule from a known finish date backwards....

4 replies [Last post]
Jeff Waldrop
User offline. Last seen 1 year 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I saw a scheduler do this once in P6 and I trying to replicate what he did.

Say I need to be Finished on 12/31/19 and I have a schedule built out.  How can I schedule from that date backwards essentially given me the latest start of all activities to achieve that Must Finish by date?

In other words, I am trying to figure out how to schedule all activities from a finish MS backwards.  Nothing hitting the Data Date until it gets to the start of the first activity in that chain of logic.

Jeff

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

thats why I suggested it 

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 10 hours ago. Offline

Another suggestion... Set the Must Finish Date of the Project then assign As Late as Possible (ALAP) constraint to all the activities.

Jeff Waldrop
User offline. Last seen 1 year 23 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks,  This is a what if scenario with a copy of the sch.

If I show the Late Bar and the project has a must finish on constraint, it gets me what I need, the lastest I can start and still finish on the required date.  I know what goes against logic because of delays and outside influences, but it does calc the must start on date to meet must finish on date....

Jeff

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

just put in the project must finish by date and schedule. Then it will tell you how far behind you are. Then change the start of the Project to match the Late Start date