Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Detailed Resource allocation after Export and then Import

13 replies [Last post]
Jithin Kambhikanam
User offline. Last seen 6 days 18 hours ago. Offline

Hello Everyone,

Need some help. Can we Export Activity to Excel and then populate the resorce in it and import it back to P6. And that too if the same activity has multiple resource like,

Activity - Foundation for Tank

Resource:

Steel Fixer - 40 Hrs

Carpenter - 16 Hrs

Mason - 16 Hrs

Labor - 112 Hrs

I would like to see in the imported Excel something like this so that it easy to load the resource,

Activity IDActivitySteel FixerCarpenterMasonLabor
A-1000Foundation for Tank401616112

Thanks

Jithin

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 9 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

assign the resources to the activities in p6 then export to excel then populate then import to p6

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 51 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Kirill, 

Thank you, I look forward to seeing more about it.

Kirill PM
User offline. Last seen 4 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Unfortunately there are no materials in English for now.

We are in the process of creating a new website, the English version will be ready in a month i think.

Kirill PM

Unfortunately there are no materials in English for now.

We are in the process of creating a new website, the English version will be ready in a month i think.

Santosh Bhat

Kirill,

Thats an interesting application - but seems to be only available for the Russian market? Is there any infromation availabel in English - other than a website auto-translation?

Kirill PM

I think you are looking for something like this:

https://youtu.be/6_KZYCOBl-k

Jithin Kambhikanam

Hi Kannan,

I stared doing that. Filter it by Activity ID then populate.

Ya that is one more Idea, let me see which would be faster and better.

Regards

Jithin

Santosh Bhat

Jithin,

The XLS import/export work as the Database tables are written, to have one line per activity with all the resoures horiztonally would not be a flat data file.

You could develop some excel forumals using INDEX and VLOOKUP formulas to achieve what you're after.

Kannan CP
User offline. Last seen 2 days 12 hours ago. Offline

Hi Jithin,

I believe that after the exporting, you can't change the basic structure of the excel file ( top-down to horizontal).

You can filter the act-ID and populate the resource units much faster in the excel file, and then you can import it.

BR

Kannan

Jithin Kambhikanam

Hi Santosh,

Ya did that and Yes it showing but in a Horizontal Way. Like if for 1 Activity if there is 10 Resource then the 10 Resource would be shown Vertically. 

But before it is been exported under the Template, in the Subject Area you have to select Resource Assigment and add the related columnn

If the resource was shown Horizontally per Activty then the Resource loading would have been better.

Thanks

Regards

Santosh Bhat

Just manually populate one activity with the resources and units you want to include.

Then select FILE>EXPORT>XLS>RESOURCE ASSIGNMENTS and it will be easy to see how this is done

Then complete populating in Excel and select FILE>IMPORT>XLS and point to the same file exported above.

Jithin Kambhikanam

Hi David,

Thanks, could you guide me with an example like how the template would be in actual. I am in Oil and Gas same as you, so my current scenario for example there is a deliverable Design Basis for which all the Dicipline needs to give there input so that 1 Deliverable would have hours of Process, Mechanical, Piping, Electrical, Instrumentation, Civil. So I need to put hours of all of this dicipline into to this Delvierable as a separate resource.

I will be working on a Project in which there would be many engineering deliverable.

So could you help me out with an example

Regards

Jithin

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline

Jithin,

Yes you can export a template of resource assignments, and import them with new values BUT it cannot be done in the format you want.

It must be one row in the spreadsheet, one resource assignment:

A-1000  Steelfixer 40

A-1000 Carpenter 16

A-1000 Mason 16

etc.