Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 R17 licenses

10 replies [Last post]
Alexandre Faulx-B...
User offline. Last seen 1 year 50 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Planners,

I cannot have an answer from Oracle-Primavera people; I hope (I know) that PPlanners will be more reactive!

One customer of mine is willing to use P6 with 5 - 10 schedulers and 10 - 20 viewers (people who need to display P6 projects on their PCs, read-only).

PrimaveraReader seems too complicated to use for the customer, as somebody would have to generate XER on a regular basis, may be once a day or so). The smoothest way would be to install P6 for the viewers also; and the logical question is: would the customer need a full license for all the viewers, or does it exist some kind of "read-only license"?

Thanks all for your help.

Alexandre

Edit; ScheduleReader™ (previously PrimaveraReader™) has been rebranded, please see http://www.planningplanet.com/advertisers/schedulereader

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

if you are hosting this database on a server you can give them read only rights

byron eugenio
User offline. Last seen 4 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Fellow Planners,

I have this problem importing xml file that was exported from Primavera software.  The thing is I am importing the project in Primavera software also.  Everytime I do this even with the same xer file, the imported project was not giving the same dates as with the same project at the other computer.  Sometimes some of the activity duration was increase and decrease.  Before Im not having this problem but since I update the license of my laptop's anti virus, these problems occur.  Can someone help me how to deal with this problem...

Thanks in advance.

- Byron

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

why dont you buy Primavera Reader

https://www.primaverareader.com/lpa/primavera-reader-p6-schedules.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwwo7cBRBwEiwAMEoXPGxjhZJu_zjHjDzCklmURs1UDc6d2IYIQxrLHySTjS4vM2mW6_s9zxoCRx8QAvD_BwE

PrimaveraReader runs on both Windows and Mac. The pricing is in everyone’s range at $199 USD for single license, or $249 USD to include a year of support and upgrades and volume pricing is available as well (talk to us). You can try the full version PrimaveraReader out with a 15 day trial downloadable here.

There is also an app version for an Ipad or phone for $13/ month or $104 per year

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 1 week ago. Offline

My understanding is that Oracle don't distinguish between a read-only user or not when it comes to licensing. If you were purchasing licenses in the thousands you may be able to get a blended licensing rate, but Oracle won't do anything in the numbers you're considering. But what you're after can be configured within the P6 Database.

You will end up buying however many licenses you need, then you will need to setup your EPS/OBS and User security profiles to allow the Planners to have the access they required, and the read-only users to be given a read-only security profile.

It's fairly easy to do if you understand how the security model within P6 functions and there are no doubt plenty of consultants who can assist with his if required.

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

To be honest, I haven't really used the Visualiser tool, but could be an option (not sure if a License is required for Visualiser or not, but I think that there is). 

Visualiser would appear to be more to view the Gantt details only & does not have the same level of information available to the end users that either Primavera Reader or direct Primavera login has, but as I say I have not used it.

The batch file option can be set to run on a time schedule & can be set to overwrite the previous file (file saved to same location & file name).

See the information in the help file or https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E90748_01/English/admin/p6_pro_importing_exporting/helpmain.htm?toc.htm?49709.htm (look at the "Importing and Exporting Data" -> "XER" -> "Export projects from the command line" for additional information. This requires that the user name is not currently logged into a Primavera Database at the time of the batch file's execution, so may require either setting the generation to run at a time when you are normally not using Primavera, or with a separate license.

There are a number of free utilities that allow the scheduling of Batch Files to allow them to be run at certain times of the day, or on demand. Please note that I am not sure what verison of Primavera this was introduced in, so you would need to check this first.

If you are using the EPPM Version of Primavera, have you looked at the Team Member option instead, as Oracle have there own mobile apps for this (again at additional cost).

For an automated process, the batch file option could be a possibility & would require minimal setup to complete. With regard to PrimaveraReader, I presume that the file would have to be selected each time the user opened it to ensure it was the latest version (not sure as don't use it).

I think that Visualizer would require a bit of time to be invested to set up the templates correctly for other users.

What level of information are you trying to share - Schedule Dates or detailed information?

Regards,

Stevem

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Alexandre,

As far as I am aware, there is no "read only license" for Primavera unless you are looking at the Team Viewer software (At Additional cost - it is likely that this is EPPM only & version dependant, but haven't looked into this).

Are the "Viewers" on the same network, or on different networks (i.e. external customers).

If the Primavera Reader route seems complicated, then having untrained users opening the live schedule would concern me more.

I suppose it depends on the Project size, as there is the "Send Project" Option in the File Menu, that exports the project as an XER file & attaches it to an email with one click, but this could only be used if the project is within the file size allowed by the mail server.

There is the possiblility of using the batch script option to generate the XER file - this can only be run with P6 closed, but can be set to run as a scheduled task wihin Windows.

Regards,

Steven