Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Remain early start and finish

2 replies [Last post]
Ketaki Alurkar
User offline. Last seen 7 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am doing an update for which one activity needs to finish on May 2nd and its saying remain finish cannot be earlier than remain start. Remain start is May 17 and I manually tried to change it but it's going back to May 17. What to do. Please help need it right away.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

look at its predecessor that is making the remaining start May 17th then if the logic is not correct then change it.

Lets say you have 2 activities A and B both 10 days duration and they are linked by a FS relation A to B

if A gets an actual start and has a remaining duration of 2 days and B somehow gets started (prior to A finishing) and B has a remaining duration of 3 days then the LAST 3 days of activity B CANNOT begin until the late 2 days of A is finished.

As Rafael pointed out this is out of sequence logic because B did NOT wait until A was done to get started. However the default RETAINED logic locks in the remaining duration honoring the FS relationship.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 2 hours ago. Offline

It looks like you have an out-of-sequence occurrence.  In such case a fix on activity logic might be needed. If any logic fix is needed I would try any changes in a separate file and then make the adjustments on the file you use for management of the schedule.  You might need to add a second activity, finish the original, transfer remaining costs to new one and any other changes as necessary.

Good Luck,

Rafael