Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Total Float not equal in same relationship

2 replies [Last post]
Zhenguo dai
User offline. Last seen 8 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

All,

I am trying to understand in what way oracle primavera calculate toatal float in same logic relationship. Thereby, I made a sample testing projest with only 3 activities A B and C

A--(FS)-->B--(FS)-->C

The duration for A B and C are all 5 days.

Now comes two results for total float with different calenders

Situation-1

When I use the same calendar(7days and 10hours) for A B and C the total float are all "0", which seems to be reseanable.

Situation-2

However, after I change calendar for B into "5 days 8 hours" then F9, I got 2.6 days for A and 0 day for B C.

The defult setting is 8 hours per day in primavera( Just for information I am not sure whether it is in relation with total float calculation)

Could anybody explain how does primavera calculate total float? why I got 2.6 day total float in situation-2?

Thank you guys.

Dennis

Replies

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Task A is forecast to complete by end of Friday (for example).

But task B cannot start until Monday (becuase Saturday & Sunday are non work days on your 5 day calendar), so Task A could actually be delayed until end of Sunday without delaying Task B. That’s 2 days of float which on a 10hr calendar = 20hrs

Also Task A can start an hour earlier on Monday than Task B could (because it’s a 10hr calendar vs an 8hr calendar –starts 1hr earlier, and finishes 1hr later), so actually Task A could even be delayed an extra hour on Monday morning without delaying Task B. So that’s a total of 20+1 = 21hrs.

Your default settings (which is used to convert total float from hours into days) is 1day = 8hrs, hence 21hrs float = 21/8 = 2.6days float for Task A.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

that is because activity C can begin on work hour 8 of the same day that activity B finishes. There are still 2 hours of available work time in that day for activity C to begin. 

if activity B finishes at 5 pm (8 hour day) then activity C can begin on 5 pm and work 2 hours (8+2=10) on that same day and finish the other 8 hours on the next day.

go to edit users preferences and turn your times on and you will see exactly what I am talking about.

it all has to do with HOURS (TIME) in the calendar.