Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Import From XER File causing Duplicate Tasks

2 replies [Last post]
C Molland
User offline. Last seen 8 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

A client supplied us with an xer file and from a clean install of Primavera and SQL we performed an initial import of their data. All went well. The client has adjusted their plan and exported another xer file. We imported the new xer file and upon reviewing the Tasks after the import we can see duplicates of many Tasks. The duplicates have different Activity Codes and different Dates but the Names are the same.

I spoke with the client to ascertain if they did duplicate the Tasks and they clarified that they replaced Tasks and that they don't see the duplicate Tasks, only the new Tasks.

To try and understand what was happening we created a new Project and imported the revised xer file and then we had no duplicates, only the new Tasks just as the client was seeing it.

Can anyone please explain what we were doing wrong when we updated the original Project because we need to keep updating the original Project regularly using xer files from the client and do not want to keep creating new Projects?

Thank you.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

my first thought is for you to tell the program what and how you want data imported. You have many options to choose from my first instinct woudl be to select update existing.

to see detailed instructions see my link

http://pmsite.com/forums/viewthread/3196/

Asif Iqbal
User offline. Last seen 8 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Is it essential that a project must be resource loaded for loading cost from BOQ for activities in Primavera P6?