Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Baseline which cannot be overwritten

3 replies [Last post]
Charlie Daniels
User offline. Last seen 9 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I have received a project schedule, it seems to have a baseline, but when I go to the Manage baselines, there is no baseline related to this schedule.

I tried creating a copy of the current project as the baseline (which would then be the only actual baseline related to this schedule), but what happens is it is either creating a copy of this imposed baseline as the baseline again... or it is simply not able to overwrite this imposed baseline which isn't actually set in the baseline management window.

I have been working with Primavera since 2005, P5 and I have not yet experienced this kind of issue.

The BL1 will not update or be overwritten and it does not exist in the Baseline management window so it acnnot even be deleted?

Any suggestions?

Replies

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 10 weeks 1 hour ago. Offline

Hi Charlie

I assume that you are using P6. If there is no baseline in the "maintain baseline" window than you can assume that you have received a schedule without a baseline. I suggest to create a baseline of the basis of the "current schedule". Please note that it takes more then 5 or 10 minutes to generate an new baseline. When this is finished the new baseline shall appear and the name shall be the project name followed by B1,B2 and so on. Re name the baseline to make sure you can recognize later on. The next step is to "assign"the baseline in the "assignment window. You have 4 options. Project baseline, secondary baseline. etc. Make sure that the "maintain" and "assign" baselines are the same. Suggest to use "project baseline".

The next step is to check the "working" of the baseline. Make two columns in the spreadsheet area. Use start and Project start baseline. Next step is to go to the bars view and check the "project baseline" bar and make visual . This baseline has yellow bars. 

The following step is to test the working of the baseline. The dates start and the project start baseline should be the same dates and the yellow bars shall be the same as the remaining bars in the Gant area. Now change the remaining duration of an activity on the longest path and you shall see that the baseline dates and the current start date are different and the yellow baseline bars are in the baseline location and the remaining bars are in a new position. 

Regards Johannes

Charlie Daniels
User offline. Last seen 9 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Gary,

Nope I have definately selected the baseline assigned to 'Project Baseline' = Colums Project BL Start & Project BL Finish...

I can't overwrite the dates that appear in any of the baseline columns with the new baseline.

It's the weirdest thing, it only happens with this one schedule, could it be a service pack issue, I am running service pack 3 and my colleague is running service pack 4 and it updates on his system.

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 47 weeks ago. Offline

Charlie,

Sounds like you might be displaying planned dates instead of baseline?

http://eastwoodharris.com/DL/TP/110616_P6_V7_What_Baseline_Bars_am_I_Displaying.pdf