Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Recurring tasks - linking them.

1 reply [Last post]
Christine P
User offline. Last seen 9 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Yes, it's me again!

I have a number of recurring tasks and I would like to link them so that theyre automatically cheduled within the day.

What it is, i have to programme in one of our guys (lets call him Dave) who goes to seven buildings, every friday and does a fire alarm test.  He spends 30min at each building and im putting in 30min travel time, so 60min per building.

so I was going to have a summary bar with the Building name and a recurring task going up to the end of next year, for 60m each friday.  Then beneath that, the next building and a reccuring task for the next 60 minutes. 

Did the first two buildings and it shows a little red man in the Indicators column, meaning Dave has been over-allocated.  I clicked on level resource, and nothing happened, so I figured the way to do it is link the task for building 1, then to 2, then 3 etc for the first friday.  Then do the same for the second friday - like you would on regular, non-recurring tasks.

Thing is, I have to have this programmed in to the end of 2015.  So it means i have to link each friday individually... Unless there is a better quicker way to do this?  Even if there is a different way of doing it?

Replies

Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Christine,

I would use task usage and resoource usage  and resource graph views to find out exactly which tasks, which day/time Dave is over-allocated.

You may have a mistake in the timing of the recurring tasks which is allowing them to overlap. You need to have a date/time format which shows the times as well as the dates.

if you clicked on the level button without checking leveling options, it may be that there is only a short period of over-allocation, maybe 1 minute, and if in leveling options there is "day by day" then the resolution won't catch it.

The problem with using recurring tasks is that it imposes a date constraint on every task. The recurring tasks feature basically does nothing more than create a rack of tasks with SNET date/time constraints.

Once you have created the tasks with the date constraints there is not much point in linking tasks in one group to tasks in another.

It is not a great idea to try to fix resource over-allocation by linking tasks as predecessor/successor when those tasks are not connected to each other except that they are competing for the same resource.

I would not use recurring tasks fior this. I would make a calendar with Friday the only working day, and have a task named "visit building 1", 60m, and assign the calendar to the task, make 50 of those (for 50 weeks). Repeat for the other buildings. You get 350 tasks, don't link any of them, assign Dave, then level.