Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How long to complete 1000 activities and Link them.

2 replies [Last post]
BRAVE G
User offline. Last seen 7 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I am concurrently setting the programme fom scratcg for the company i work. the activites to plan are an estimate of 1000. How long do u think it takes to move the data from MSP to primavera considering the impossbile import issues surrounding msp when it involves data that have multiple calendar, lag, leads etc. it is taking me longer than a week. my company thinks it could be done in 3 days. Remeber have to strt from the scratch because i can't import from msp has it would result in wrong data .

Thanks

Geoff

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 9 hours ago. Offline

Hi Geoff

Next time you get this problem try saving the MPS file as .XML

If you can't open this format in P6 then you can in Asta PowerProject - using the trial download - and then convert it to .XER to open in P6.

It should then only need some checks and tweeks.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 47 weeks ago. Offline

Do you also have to resource the programme in that time? If so, 6 days sounds about right. If not, 3 days should be acchievable.

You can import basic data without any problems, so I would start by importing name, duration, any user fields, and also calendar ID (the last into a user field).

Then set up the wbs / activity code structure, which should be a 30 min job.

You can then create your calendars manually, and assign them to the activities using a global chage.

You can filter the MSP programme to show any with constraints or milestones, so this should not take long to manually replicate in P6.

You should be able to get all this doe in less than a day, which gives you two days to do the relationships & lags. 1 activity per minute will get this done in two days, which is quite feasible.

Resources tend to take longer than relationships to add manually, so allow another 3 days for this if required.