Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Import baseline from one file to another

7 replies [Last post]
Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 38 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear all,

I have the following dilemma:

I have several versions of the same project schedule in different files (schedule_v1.mpp, schedule_v2.mpp, schedule_v3.mpp). . One of the old ones I now want to use as a baseline in my current one. Unfortunately I did not baselined it back then. In my current schedule some of the tasks changed date, duration, some new were added and some were deleted.

Is there any way I can save a baseline on the old file and copy it across to the new one?

Replies

Evgeny Z.

This is old topic, but I am posting here because I finally allocated time and developed a tool to transfer baseline from one Microsoft Project file to another. It is assumed, that both files represent different versions of the same project schedule.

The limitation of the tool, is that it works on MS Project 2003 and does not work on 2007 and 2010. Reason being is that is uses MS Project feature to save and read project schedule into MS Access format. The feature to save file in MS Access format has been discontinued starting from MS Project 2007.

Tool has detailed manual (help file) with it.

It can be downloaded here free of charge: mppbaselinecop.sf.net

Evgeny

Johnny Bynum
User offline. Last seen 13 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

spam deleted

Evgeny Z.
I don’t know, I don’t have Project 2007 at the moment. But for Project 2007 you should be able to save it to Access 2007 format (.accdb).
Evgeny Z.
Thanks for replies,

I actually found now more elegant way, but it requires knowledge of MS Access

Given:
OLD FILE contains schedule, which needs to be moved as baseline to NEW FILE

Procedure:
1) Save schedule to baseline1 in the OLD FILE
2) Save both OLD FILE and NEW FILE in *.mdb format
3) In NEW FILE, go to table MSP_PROJECTS and set the flag PROJ_EXT_EDITED to 1.
4) Now copy and paste all rows where TB_BASE_NUM=1 from tables MSP_ASSIGNMENT_BASELINES, MSP_RESOURCE_BASELINES, MSP_TASK_BASELINES from the OLD FILE to the equivalent tables of the NEW FILE.

Open NEW FILE in MS Project, check that the changes took effect, save file back as *.mpp file.

I tried it on simple schedule, it works.
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
Even if you did not baseline the early file, you can still copy the start, finish, duration, work and cost fields from that one and paste them into the corresponding baseline fields in the current file.
In the current file, show the baseline table which already has the fields you are interested in pasting into.
If they both have the same tasks and work breakdown structure you can do each column in one shot, but if not then in chunks of tasks, tedious but it works.
If you are lucky, and you do have the same tasks and WBS, and the exact same number of lines in each file, and if you make a new table in the early file which has the same columns as correspond to the baseline table in the current file, you can copy and paste the whole lot in one go.