Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Displaying the % of the Baseline

13 replies [Last post]
Jon Ward
User offline. Last seen 9 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
help,,,

i have created a schedule with a baseline,, i have then used Number12 (re-named as Planned %) to detail the percentage of the Baseline,, the trouble is i’m getting 100% for all activities for the Planned % (Number 12),, even those activities that start and finish to the right of the data date line???
many thanks

IIf([Baseline Finish]<[Status Date] Or [Baseline Finish]=[Status Date],100,IIf([Baseline Start]>[Status Date],0,IIf([Baseline Start]<[Status Date] And [Baseline Finish]>[Status Date],ProjDateDiff([Baseline Start],[Status Date])/[Baseline Duration])*100))

Replies

Nassir Sh
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear friends,

I need to calculate the ""baseline"" and ""actual"" progress considering the weight factors of each activity.

I have used John Ward's formula (of course it does not include the weight farctor). But I also got 100% progress for each activity, even for those that have not been started yet.

can anyone help me with tis problem? and of course I need the formula to consider the weight factors as well...

Thank you so much in advance...

Nassir Sh
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

Dear friends,

I need to calculate the ""baseline"" and ""actual"" progress considering the weight factors of each activity.

I have used John Ward's formula (of course it does not include the weight farctor). But I also got 100% progress for each activity, even for those that have not been started yet.

can anyone help me with tis problem? and of course I need the formula to consider the weight factors as well... Please keep in mind that I am absolutely new in MSP, so please let me  know exactly what I need to do step by step...

Thank you so much in advance...

Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Jon,

Still can’t replicate your problem. Both formulae work fine in my test schedule.

Sent you a PM to discuss.

Regards,

Darren
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
jon

are you having a bad day??

07929 642107
Jon Ward
ah rubbish,, in my example the line after A should be much further to the right,, well past B,, sorry HTML autoformats for us,,
Jon Ward
here is what i’m trying to show, if line A is my activity bar, and is at 0%,, B is my base line bar (the verticle line is my date line,, so from that you can tell that the activity A has slipped to the right from the planned date,, so, i know how is show the % comp,, what i would like to show is the Planned % Complete,, in the example below the Planned % should read about 35%,, i have tried entering the formual (pasted at the bottom) in a new column (#12) in the formula section after i righ click on customise, however this does not tell me the % i’m looking for, i may be doing something obviolsy incorrect,, i would very much appreciate anyones help with this,, i know i shouldnt say this but P3 (once a Target has been created) details the baseline % quiet simply,, is there a method to check the data date of the baseline?

A -----------
B ----|-------

IIf([Baseline Start]>[Status Date],0,IIf([Baseline Finish]<[Status Date],100,projdatediff([Status Date],[Baseline Start],IIf([Task Calendar]="None",[Project Calendar],[Task Calendar]))*100/projdatediff([Baseline Finish],[Baseline Start],IIf([Task Calendar]="None",[Project Calendar],[Task Calendar]))))
Sreejith Nair
User offline. Last seen 12 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Hi!
My formula is useful when you have the following info :
Baseline start date
Baseline finish date
Current date/ Report date

From these 3 parameters , my formula calculates planned physical %.

If you have allocated a weighting / manhour to this activity you can get weighted progress / achieved manhour

This can be used for generating progress S-Curve, Productivity curve or EVM stuff

Cheers

Sreejith
Darren Kosa
Jon,

Had another thought… have any of the activities moved to the right?

Any delays in the schedule will not affect the planned % complete because that’s calculated from the Baseline Start / Finish Dates.

In effect according to the baseline you should have completed the tasks so the Planned % Complete shows as 100%, but the activity hasn’t started yet so the % Complete shows 0%.

Regards,

Darren
Darren Kosa
Jon,

Just tried the formula in post #1 and it works fine for me. Have you checked your baseline and / or status date?

Regards,

Darren
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
jon

are you simply trying to track actual vs planned percent complete on duration and not on any resources?

Sreejith Nair
Use this formula in excel .. not in MSP
replace Baseline_start ..etc by the respective cell numbers (H45, E35 ..etc)

Read this post for more details:
http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=1&Cat=4&Top=46747

Cheers!

Sreejith
Jon Ward
thanks Sreejith,
sorry to be thick but i keep getting an error on the code that reads Date_Now,, i have tried Status_Date,,
any ideas?
Sreejith Nair
Yep , I would like to call myself an expert in this:
Here goes the formula :

Planned % =IF((100/(Baseline_Finish_date-Baseline_Start_date+1)*(Date_Now-Baseline_Start_date+1))<0,0,IF((100/(Baseline_Finish_date-Baseline_Start_date+1)*(Date_Now-Baseline_Start_date+1))>100,100,(100/(Baseline_Finish_date-Baseline_Start_date+1)*(Date_Now-Baseline_Start_date+1))))

I made this formula years back and still use deliberately in my trackers.(Excel based)

If you need more info , please gimme a shout.

Cheers ,

Sreejith Nair
Manager - Planning
MG WLL
Doha - Qatar