Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Zero Float

2 replies [Last post]
Mark Chapman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am building up a plan at the moment and I have 2 tasks with no successor and within the project date but showing zero float.

I would expect the float to be the difference between the 2 dates and not zero. Is this the way of MSP or is there a switch to turn this off?

Replies

Mark Chapman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for answer. I would want MSP to show multiple critical paths. I guess I am just not used to this as for example P3 doesnt do this (I think).

Oh well I just need to ensure all tasks arent dangling.

Cheers,

mark
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 18 weeks ago. Offline
perhaps...If they are dangling at the end of a path with no successor and have zero total slack, you must have the "show multiple critical paths" option turned on in tools, options, calculation.

when this option is on, MSP sets the total slack to zero for all tasks in the dangling path, and displays red because total slack = 0.