Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Contents of EOT claim

5 replies [Last post]
Sree Bindu
User offline. Last seen 32 weeks 10 hours ago. Offline

Dear all,

Can some one please help me with the contents for an EOT ? Below is my idea. 

1. Executive Summary

2. Project Details (contracting parties, time, value etc)

3. Contract Representations (clauses etc)

4. Scope of work

5. Baseline Programme/Planned programme/ planned sequence of works

6. Procedure for EOT claim analysis (method etc)

7. Contractor's claims (delay events description)

8. Delay Analysis

9. Costs

10. Conclusion

Replies

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

Oh, by the way, why there is a need for a claim for an "Extension of Time" when time is continuously running  and no one can prevent it? And besides, everytime there is a delay in a project, consequently, time is literally extended without claiming or granting it. 

Even if say, you were given or granted with a specific amount of time as extension to your original contracted time, I guess it is still not a guarantee that you will finish the project in the newly desired completion time, if there is no improvement in the actual performance of the works. 

For me, it is all about budget or money and profits or losses. And of course Time has an equivalent amount of money. 

So I guess it's about time to forget the term "Claim for EOT" or "Extension of Time" (Scrap it!). As whether you like it or not, time is always extended when you are not able to complete the project as originally promised (given with a contract and a specific amount of time and money). 

If there is any delay, just determine what or who causes it and let them pay for it. And how do you determine if there is any delay? Well, of course you compare your plan with what's actually happening or facts. 

Anoon Iimos
Seriously? Why should I share for free if I had any? Well, honestly I don't have anything. I'm just talking about my personal opinion and I don't even care whether I'm correct or not. Anyway, an "EOT" should always be present in every project, otherwise, a project can never be completed or you'll just scrap it and go bankrupt (I guess nobody wants that). Hence, IMO, it is a process from subjective to objective. EOT or extension of time is always necessary to complete any job. Therefore it is a fact that may occur in every minute of the process of doing any work. Firstly, your Process or Plan of doing the project is subjective. The time you actually start the works, then you become objective. To be continued later...

Anoon,

It will really help if you can share information/documents where you sucessfull claim EOT.

Thanks/Tommy

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Sree - welcome to planning planet.

You have presented a text book list but no eot assignment is unique and should not be limited to a text book approoach.

Anoon has given good advice - I would only add:

Stick to the FACTS

Tell each story concisely - supported with charts where necessary 

Best regards

Mike Testro

Anoon Iimos
The reason why you seek for an EOT is simply because there is a "DELAY". If things only happened exactly as planned, then who needs an EOT? IMO, the most important thing to consider is your Actual Schedule or Performance compared against Planned Data. And where the delays should be attributable to?