Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Asta changing date modified on .pp file automatically

6 replies [Last post]
Yasine Ali
User offline. Last seen 4 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

I am using ASTA version 14 and I am trying to figure a way around something which might be very simple.

When I open an old file say from a year ago to just have a look at and then close the file, the software seems to change the "Date Modified" to today even though I havent modified anything.

Is there a way to disable Asta from doing this?

Thank you

Yasine

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 23 hours 57 min ago. Offline

Mike, no software is perfect, fortunately Asta people do listen, contrary to other developers that are always absent from the discussion.

Asta is software to watch and learn from it. 

I recently learned about Asta Work Patterns, different work weeks/periods do happen on a same calendar.  My son is an airline pilot and every month his work weeks vary days and work hours.  To define work patterns by using a 24-7 calendar and each work period as an exception can be a nuisance.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Rafael

Asta aparently is not perfect. But it only takes 3 clicks to set the data line to the correct date - unless you want to change the windows clock every time before you open your file.

Best regards

Mike T.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 23 hours 57 min ago. Offline

The software I use displays correct SCHEDULE VERSION as a sequential number, correct SCHEDULER FILE SAVE DATE but does not displays SCHEDULE DATA DATE.  It also displays project notes.  I always miss easy access to DD information.

Asta seems to show correct DATE FOR LAST TIME FILE WAS OPENED.

Maybe it would be convenient to have easy access to all four.

Projects_Window

Yasine Ali
User offline. Last seen 4 years 21 weeks ago. Offline

Its usually handy to be able to click on a button and see the different files in their modified date order.

I think in the older versions of Powerproject it didnt modify the file like this.

The way I am working around this at the moment is by re-naming the beginning of the filename with the date in reverse order.

for example 04 Aug 18 I would name the start of the file 180804.

This way you can sort and order the file by using the "filename"

Regards

Yasine

Ben Taunt
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 1 hour ago. Offline

Hi both,

I've tested this and agree with your comments.  Unfortunately this is due to the way Asta Powerproject opens files and recalculates certain facts 'on the fly', even if those recalculations are not 'changes' and thus not saved.  The Windows O/S still sees us has having changed the file and thus updates the 'modified' date. We've tested this back to v12 and the same behaviour exists.

Opening the same files in just the Project Viewer however will not change the 'modified' date as the file is opened in a 'read-only' mode even at an O/S level.

Cheers,

Ben @ Asta Powerproject

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Yasine

Yes that annoys me too.

You have to go to Asta support on line to get an answer or maybe Ben Taunt will pick it up.

Best regards

Mike T.