Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Hours default in annotation?

4 replies [Last post]
Craig Adams
User offline. Last seen 12 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Fellow Planners,

Anyone know how to change the annotation that appears when you are applying lag to default to days rather than hours.

I know I could simply divide by 24 but really, who needs more things to think about??

Thanking you in anticipation.

Craig Adams

Replies

Craig Adams
Hi Mike,

Interesting reading, think I’m going to be one of those mere mortals that feed you work.

My tender schedules aren’t that detailed, they are extra work I do for builders in my spare time and they use them in their tender submissions. The detailed schedules I’m doing now are for land development projects that go through to construction. These are doing my head in, I’ve done them in MSP but they’re starting to fall over and the file/s are crashing often. Am learning PP and very impressed, am keen to apply your methodology but need to learn to use the codes etc. Love the ability to have the file structure on the left and open up different sections for easy linking.

Cheers,

Craig
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Hi Craig

Because it is sloppy planning and counter productive when problems occur.

Use only FS links and you will get a better critical path status.

There are many threads on this topic - do a search on Bottom Up Planning.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Craig Adams
Hello Mike,

Found what I was looking for, simply change the default time unit in the tool bar at the top. Man I spent hours looking for this!

Why wouldn’t you use a lead lag in a case where you know tasks can start before the preceding task is completed?

Kind regards,

Craig

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Hi Craig

First check your default time unit and set it to days.

When you type the number in the lead lag box use the corect suffix - 1d - 24h - 1w etc.

This will give you working day lags - use 1ed - 24eh etc to give an elapsed duration or calendar time.

The only legitimate use of lead lags is FS +ed to represent concrete curing or drying out screeds etc - no other use is valid.

You can also set lags to % of work - but why bother.

Best regards

Mike Testro