Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Recession and the role of Planner

16 replies [Last post]
Mohammed Azharuddin
User offline. Last seen 14 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
What Do you think the role of planner in the recession environment
a) Advise the client to suspend the project and negotiate a revised contract price with Consultants and contracts
b) Go ahead with the project on agreed price and time
c) Advise the client to cancel the project
d) ........
e).....

Replies

Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Abdul Azeem
User offline. Last seen 13 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

All,

I am working with Al futtaim carillion as a planning engineer in EMAL(Emirates Aluminuim, Aluminium smelter).

I want to change a job with building construction.

If any one have any openings for my needs please call me.

Regards,

Abdul

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 17 hours ago. Offline
Hi mai

Try registering in Bayt.com
Mai Tawfeq
User offline. Last seen 9 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
hi guys:

if any one can help to find a work in UAE , please tell me since our company is going to close within one month.

regards.
Mohammed Azharuddin
User offline. Last seen 14 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks All,

I agree with the equation Sachin made and would like to ADD investor confidence to it. Hence

Resource = Cash available + Investor Confidence.

Ravi & Sunley made suggestions to safegaurd the clients bussiness by advising the slowing down of the project, reducing scope, changing market strategy, agreeing payment terms etc, But what about benefits to the Client? Do negotiating the price be an option.

To my notice there are many projects which were up and running, where the cleint had either negotiated the price or replaced the PM’s, Consultants, Contractors for reducing the price and get benefit or rather reduce their loss.

I beleive, Construction market too have a cyclic behaiviour with sellers and buyers market. It was sellers market upto 2008 and from 2009 it is buyers market. In the Project execution stage the seller is PM’s, Consultants, Contractors and other service providers, whereas the buyer is Cleint-Developer.

This configuration may change in the Post Construction stage where developer takes the role of seller and the end user (general public, investors) becomes a buyer.

So Guys in UAE I reckon its Investor Confidence which matters
Sachin Nair
User offline. Last seen 14 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Some positive signs seen from Abu Dhabi and Qatar seeing the number of tender queries from there. Saudi - Kingdon tower ( tallest tower ) is still active. Role of planner in recession has increased much since now cash flow determines the progress and not the contractual milestone of completion. So from a resource = infinity situation, there has been a correction to resource = cash available.
Shah. HB
Openings are a lot in Saudi Arabia since they have massive projects i thrust they have started worlds tallest tower.
Ravi Potwar
User offline. Last seen 3 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Guys,
Don’t much Worry ,jobs still comming up. Any one looking for the job, who has experience in Planning-Infrastructure and Mass Housing and looking to joined immediately please send your CV to ravipotwar@yahoo.com
Shah. HB
projects r moving on partial payments in UAE?
Milind Kulkarni
User offline. Last seen 13 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
hello,

I can suggest here no need to reduce scope,you can suggest to Client to make payment partly.
Shah. HB
Of course may lay offs were there but now it got reduced and i found few openings in Abu Dhabi
Balu Karunakaran
User offline. Last seen 11 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
But it seems things are picking up a bit.
Milind Pandhare
User offline. Last seen 8 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Lot of planners are loosing the job
because of Slow down the work or suspension of the Jobs
Balu Karunakaran
User offline. Last seen 11 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
No EOT and LD.
Ravi Potwar
User offline. Last seen 3 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Prepared Cost driven Programme and Extend the duration of the project.
Make aggerment with Contractor and Contractor for Payment schedule to pay accordingly for minimum Payment. No extention claim.
Sunley Mathew, PMP
User offline. Last seen 3 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Hi,
You can advise the client to slow down works,
Reduce the scope,
Change marketing strategy from Sale to Leasing etc