Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

2 Milestones each Schedule must have

6 replies [Last post]
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

What are they?

With kind regards,

Samer

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 21 hours 42 min ago. Offline
Mike,

It seems like some scheduling experts agree with you on the issue of constraints.

_ “Assigned constraints: Overrides computer calculations at the core of CPM scheduling.
Result: According to one scheduling expert, "If you do this, it’s a bar chart" and not a traditional CPM network diagram and schedule.”

http://www.pmicos.org/fse.asp

Richard,

A schedule without driving logic is a Bar Chart.

Project Managers are to verify schedule logic, is their responsibility, they should schedule the way they want to build the thing as long as it is reasonable. If your PMs have to override their own logic very frequently I would call it bad planning, bad scheduling, bad team work, well maybe just Bar Charting.

Sorry I did not answered before but I am not getting e-mails from PP.

Best regards,
Rafael
Richard Spedding
User offline. Last seen 5 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Mike

All software has millstones - mosstly it is the way the programme deals with forward and backward passes! At the moment it appears that Powerproject has the fewest millstones

I don’t know how we put in the Irtish foreman’s milestone - "If I was building it I wouldn’t start from here"

Rafael

What the hell does logic have to do with making a schedule? I don’t know many Project Managers that have ever allowed logic get in the way of the way they want to build something!
Rafael Davila
Unfortunately as Mike said there is no software that can handle well intermediate milestones without breaking the rules of logic every time you use them. Same goes for logic relationships other than FS, and also for negative lag.

If you schedule using forward pass and then backward pass to get late dates then everything should be driven in a forward direction. If you schedule using first backward pass and then forward pass as to determine a target project start date everything should be driven in the other direction. Milestones shall represent an added activity to the left or to the right depending on which direction you start.

There is no reason why PDM shall break the rules of logic.
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Rafael,

Great Answer... haha.

The Practice Standard for Scheduling, section 2.1 Schedule Development Process Overview, page 6:

" The Schedule model must include at least two milestones; project start and project finish."

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Rafael

Thanks for the best laugh of the week.

I am waiting for a realistic software packaage that has millstones.

Very best regards

Mike T.
Rafael Davila
Hello and Good by