Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Holiday Season Global Quiz

68 replies [Last post]
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Merry Christmas Everybody

Just a little challenge to everybody out there to brighten up the PP forum during the time none of us are thinking about planning.

Ask me a question on any topic at all - but not planning or construction.

Art philosophy music literature history geography - anything - and I will try to answer it.

I promise not to use google or wiki (but I may ask my Grandson) - if I do not know the answer then anyone else can try.

No prizes - just a bit of fun.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 14 hours 25 min ago. Offline
oops got crossed with the same answer.
Mike Testro
Hi Neil

This questiion got some Japanese engineers in knots for about a week.

I would ask one guard the following question.

"If I were to ask the other guard - Is this the door to heaven - would he say Yes?"

If it was the door to heaven and it was the angel he would answer No so I would go through that door.

If it was the door to heaven and it was the devil he would say No so I would go through that door.

If it was the door to hell and it was the angel he would say Yes so I would go through the other door.

If it was the door to hell and it was the devil he would say Yes so I would go through the other door.

As they say in Russia Seemples.

Best regards

Mike T.
Neal Walsh
User offline. Last seen 3 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
An oldie but a good one:

There are two doors, one leading to heaven, and one leading to hell. Two guardians stand next to each other in front of the two doors. The guardians are indistinguishable from each other, as are the doors. One guardian is actually an angel, and always tells the truth; the other guardian works for the devil, and always lies. The guardians know everthing about where each door goes, and who it is that always lies or tells the truth. The good guardian does not necessarily stand in front of the door to heaven, nor do you know whether the bad guardian stands in front of the door to hell. Unfortunately, you can ask only one of the guardians only one Yes/No question(who will answer your question as described above.) What question do you ask one of the guardians in order to guarantee that you find the way to heaven?

walshy
Rafael Davila
Is misspelled, should read;

We were Independent.

I still only see ORACLE logo and no one elses.
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
u missed the right corner of the page. Last week sometime, they have added We’re Independent

They got independence from ******* and when?
Rafael Davila
Raviraj.

Independence day? There is no such thing, money rules, how do you think Oracle got it’s logo and no one else? Is a no brainer to me.

I am starting to believe take over of PP by Oracle is just a matter of time. Even every move PP does now will take into consideration loss of independence by this new relationship. It would be interesting to know how much Oracle paid and if this fee can also be paid by others who want their logo displayed, and maybe even a bigger logo than Oracle.

Just a matter of time until we all have to move to other place, until there is such alternative we will have to live with what we got.

Best regards,
Rafael
Jay S
User offline. Last seen 9 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Cork in a Glass

Fill the glass to the Brim (Top) Concave and the Cork will float to the centre.
A D
Independence day of PP?
Mike Testro
Hi Plan Plan

Cork in the glass.

You would have to break the surface tension on the top of the water by dipping the cork in some liquid - oil or vinegar perhaps?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Gary,
Jet engines do not "push against air".
Rockets work in space and they do not push against anything. Jet engines would work in space if they carried a supply of expandable gas.
Thrust occurs because of Newton’s 3rd law.
Of course, a jet engine has to be able to get air in the front end, in order to burn it with fuel so that the gasses expand.
Jay S
The Baloon.

Beloon will always move "opisite" Example if you Drive Forward the baloon will move forward if ou brake it would move backward if you turn left it will move left.

Raeson the air would rush pass the baloon and pushes the baloon.

The lock Yes the water level will go down as it only replaces its own volume.

New one (could be used as a pub trick as well)

If you put a cork in a glass of water the cork will float to one side how can you get the cork to float to the middle. (whirling is not the answer)
Mike Testro
Hi Gary

I think what you are trying to say is that the wheels are going round at 100mph.

In which case the plane would take off.

Best regards

Mike T.
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mike,

the rolling wheels would not stay in the same place. -the engines push against the air, not the ground. hence irrespective of what the plane’s ground (or carpet) speed is, it’s airspeed would be 50mph, hence it could take off.
It’s groundspeed would be 50mph, and it’s carpetspeed would be 100mph.
If the wheels are free-wheeling, the carpet going backwards will have no impact on the position / speed of the plane.
Mike Testro
Hi Gary

Therefore if the carpet is going backwards at the same speed as the plane is being pushed forward the rolling wheels will remain above the same bit of runway and the speed of the plane relative to the air is zero.

Ergo - no take off.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Gary Whitehead
Mike,

The carpet is gpoing backward becuase it is being pulled backward (by some unspecified, but mischevious entity)
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

Who is tickling your frog?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
Laughing frog
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

It depends entirely on the colour of the carpet.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
Mike,

How much the guys that wind the carpet before it rains get paid in the UK?

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
Hi Gary

If the plane is freewheeling on the carpet why is the carpet going backwards at 50 mph?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Gary Whitehead
Mike,

ref balloon, the movement due to pressure differential would be larger than movement due to centripedal force. I agree both would be minimal, but if anything it will move left not right, I think.

Afraid I’ve got you on the aircraft question:
As the engines push against the air, not the ground like a car would, the aircraft would still move forward at 50mph, with the wheels free-wheeling on the carpet (assuming no friction losses). It would have an airspeed of 50mph (and a carpetspeed of 100mph), and would be able to take off.

Cheers,

G
Mike Testro
Hi All

Why can’t you walk up or down a spiral staircase?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mike Testro
Hi Gary

The take off speed is relative to its speed through the air.

A plane on a moving carpet would be static in relation to the air so it would not take off.

I am not sure that air in an enclosed space is subject to centripedal force as it has very little mass and a helium balloon has less so any movement would be minimal.

What does Mr Plan Plan say?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Gary Whitehead
last one:

An aircraft sits on a runway on a strip of carpet. Its take-off speed if 50mph, and as the pilot fires up the engines to reach this speed, the strip of carpet is pulled from underneath the aircraft in the opposite direction at a matching speed. Can the aircraft take off?
Gary Whitehead
ref the balloon, some more thought suggests to me that even if the car had active suspension and didn’t roll, it would still move to the left.

The air inside the car would move to the right with greater (centripedal) force than the (lighter than air) balloon, until the pressure differential built up sufficiently to balance out the centripedal force. since the balloon is experiencing the same pressure differential, but a lower centripedal force, it would be pushed to the left with a force equal to the difference between the two.
Gary Whitehead
Bang on, Mike.
Mike Testro
Hi Gary

The odds were 3 > 1 for the first selection.

If there were only two doors to start with then the odds would have been 2 > 1.

Since the non prize door was removed after the choice the original choice remained at 3 > 1.

By switching now he will increase his chances.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Gary Whitehead
How about this:

On a gameshow, a contenstant is presented with 3 doors. behind one is a prize, behind the other two is nothing.

He picks one (but does not open it yet), then a door which he didn’t pick and without a prize behind it is removed from the game, leaving the door he picked originally and one other.

The contestant is then given the opportunity to choose to open the door he picked originally, or the other door.

Which one should he pick, or are the odds the same for both doors?
Gary Whitehead
and with the anchor, assuming it sinks to the bottom, the anchor is now displacing only it’s volume in water, rather than it’s weight, so the water level would go down.
If the rope on the anchor wasn’t long enough for it to reach the bottom, the level would remain unchanged.

...I think...
Gary Whitehead
I would have thought that as you turn left, you load up the right wheel so the car will tilt slightly and the helium balloon would move to the left to find the highest point.
Mike Testro
Hi Plan Plan

You didn’t say if there was any water in the lock - but if there was - and the anchor was thrown into the water not on the lock bank - then the water level would remain the same.

I have not heard about the helium balloon but I would consider that the centrifugal force of a left turning car would need some mass to work with.

Since a helium balloon has very little mass then it would only move imperceptably to the right.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Jay S
I Assume you know about the Heluim Baloon ? Easy one. But for those that dont.

If you place a Heluim filled beloon in a car. Close all Doors windows etc. If You Drive and turn left which way does the baloon move ?

Jay S
Ok

Do the UK have any Locks Never been it is to cold to my Liking.

Whell any way.

Man is in a Lock inside a bahamas 480 (Boat) Both Gates are closed and the Pumps are switched off and All Valves are isolated in the Closed position.

He Throw Out of the Boat into the Lock the Boats Anchor.

Does the water level move up down or remain constant ?

Bo Johnsen
User offline. Last seen 8 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Not necessary as negative K’s are not possible and -40F equals -40C.

Happy New Year to all.

Regards,

Bo
Mike Testro
Hi Plan Plan

Your space ship would heat up with the sun because it has mass.

Insofar as there is no such thing as a true vacuum then outer space is as near you can get to one.

Here is one last problem:

A researcher at the south pole reported that the temperature outside was -40 deg.

Why did he not report the scale?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Jay S
Appologies for Using Google but the outer space temperature had me going. If this was true you could travel to the end of the solar system and to the sun in your space ship without heating up / cooling down ? Now I remember my grade 1 teacher (She had great eyes) she told me this would not be possible and with eyes like that I believed her.

So I Google it

Outer space is not completely empty (i.e. a perfect vacuum), but contains a low density of particles, predominantly hydrogen plasma, as well as electromagnetic radiation, magnetic fields and neutrinos. Theoretically, it also contains dark matter and dark energy.

Further.
Answer
The lowest temperature found in outer space is about 3 Kelvin. (This is -270°C or -454°F. 0 Kelvin is absolute zero.) This temperature is caused by cosmic microwave background radiation, which is present in the entire universe. Many parts of space have higher temperatures, because there are some particles present, like gas clouds, planets or stars.

Inside our solar system the lowest temperature is about 40 Kelvin (-233°C / -388°F), because of the presence of particles.

Well I have learned something new Outer space is not a Vacuum.

Mike Testro
Hi All

Nobody has come up with the answers to my thread Nr 21.

The temperature of outer space is absolute zero -273deg F
The sun does not heat it up because you can’t heat a vacuum.

The two places where you can walk in this pattern are:

1. The north pole - 1 mile south - 1 mile east - 1 mile north and you are back where you started.

2. The south pole - 1 mile south - 1 mile east - 1 mile north and you are back where you started.

How is that done?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mike Testro
Hi Santash

Assuming that you can’t cut a candle in half then I would light one candle at both ends and then light the other one when it is used up.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Santhosh kumar
User offline. Last seen 14 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Happy New year to all.

1. You are given two candles of equal size, which can burn 1 hour each. You have
to measure 90 minutes with these candles. (There is no scale or clock). Also u r
given a lighter.
How?

Best Regards,

Santhosh
Mike Testro
Hi Samer

Close but no coconut.

The hummer had total break failure - so it towed the repair truck back to base using the trucks breaks to slow down.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mike,

Great answers.

The base is at the top of the hill. The Hummer goes upward and both cars are broken down. They slide back to the base using the brakes.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi Samer

Q1 - Guarav was a window cleaner and he jumped into the building.

Q2 - The wife was having a baby and she died in childbirth - why the husband got out of the car I don’t know.

Q3 - If a man is LIVING in Delhi he has no reason to be buried in Mumbai.

I like these puzzles - here is one for you.

An army hummer is out on an excercise from base when it breaks down on top of a hill.
The soldiers call for a repair truck but they can’t fix it.
So the hummer is hitched to the repair truck and tows it back to base.
What’s going on?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Samer Zawaydeh
Hi,

Few more before the end of the Holidays:

Q1: Gaurav looked through the dirty window on the 24th floor of his office building. Depressed, he slid the window open and jumped through it. It was a sheer drop from the building to the ground. Miraculously after he landed he was completely unhurt. There was nothing to cushion his fall or slow his descent, yet he survived. Explain?

Q2: A man and his wife drove at full speed through the streets. They stopped, and the husband got out of the car. When he came back, his wife was dead, and there was a stranger in the car. Explain?

Q3: Why can’t a man living in Delhi not be buried in Mumbai?

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi Samer

Answer 3 - OK but a cat does have fur - not hair like a dog.

Answer 4 - Necrophyllia is the practice of having sex with dead bodies.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Mike,

Super answer on the first two.

Answer 3: The outside has the most hair.

Answer 4: If the man has a widow then he is dead and can not marry.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi Samer

Q1: If a plane crashes on the Indian/Pakistan border, where do you bury the survivors?

Nowhere - they are not dead.

Q2: A cowboy rode into town on Friday, spent one night there, and left on Friday. How do you account for this?

He had a horse called Friday

Q3: Which side of a cat contains the most hair?

A cat has fur.

Q4: Is it legal for a man to marry his widow’s sister?

Unless she was into necrophyllia I guess not.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Samer Zawaydeh
Hi,

Q1: If a plane crashes on the Indian/Pakistan border, where do you bury the survivors?

Q2: A cowboy rode into town on Friday, spent one night there, and left on Friday. How do you account for this?

Q3: Which side of a cat contains the most hair?

Q4: Is it legal for a man to marry his widow’s sister?

With best regards,

Samer
Samer Zawaydeh
Hi Mike,

The temperature in space depends on the location of the object. If the object is near the sun then it will be very hot. If the object is on the dark side of the noon, then it will be very cold. Space is a great insulator because it has no particles to transfar the energy.

.) You were when you started at the same location you are now.

.) You start the contest by announcing that it has started.

With best regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Here are a few more.

What is the temperature of outer space?
And if it is that cold why doesn’t the sun warm it up?

I walk 1 mile due south - 1 mile due east - 1 mile due north and come back to where I started. Where was I when I started. There are two correct answers to this question.

How do you start a fat ladies singing contest?

Happy new year.

Mike Testro
Mike Testro
Hi all

Working from memory my definition of a googol was 1 followed by 100 zeros.

Having now checked it I find was wrong.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Best regards

Mike Testro

A D
:-)
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Mike,

1 to the power of 100 is 1!

Happy New Year!
Mike Testro
Hi Santash

The mathematical proof of the four colour rule has yet to be established.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mike Testro
Hi Raviraj

1 to the power of 100 is a googol.

A googolplex is a googol to the power of 100.

The largest number available however is infinity + 1 - although my Grandson argues that Infinity + 2 is bigger but that is just nonsense.

Best regards

Mike Testro
A D
10 to the power 100 is googol

and 10 to the power 2703 is nongentillion and is the largest number available

:-)

Largest private sector company - GE?
Santhosh kumar
Hi Mike,

Seems nobody know the answer.

So who was that?

Hi Ravi,

What does nongentillion means?

BTW which is the largest private sector company in the world in terms of revenue?

Best Regards,

Santhosh
Mike Testro
Hi Lawrence

"How do you maintain your cool and where do you find the patience when dealing with some of the more "difficult" posts in the forum?"

Its a bit like the lazy old dog in the yard tolerating the young pups as they yap at him - can’t be bothered to respond - provided they don’t bite his tail too hard.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mike Testro
Hi Santash

"But what is the source of your information?"

I just know these things - comes from a long life of retained curiosity combined with a dustbin type of brain.

At the beginning of this thread I promised not to look anything up. I trust everybody else is following the rule.

Hi Raviraj

Nongentillion - no idea what it means.

Who solved the matmatical puzzle of the "Four Colour Rule"

Best regards

Mike Testro.

A D
Sixth sense device - Pranav Mistry

What does the term Nongentillion stands for?
Lawrence Cuozzo
User offline. Last seen 11 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Mike -

Season’s Greetings!

I have a question for you - How do you maintain your cool and where do you find the patience when dealing with some of the more "difficult" (and you know what I mean) posts in the forum?

Thanks,

Lawrence
Santhosh kumar
Hi Mike,

Good answer .Number of patents seems to be a perfect barometer.But what is the source of your information?

BTW Bass Red Triangle owns the first registered trademark.

Here is another one,Who invented the Sixth sense device?

Best Regards,

Santhosh
Mike Testro
Hi Santash

If the collective intelligence of a nation can be measured by the number of patents lodged for new inventions then the British - and particualrly the English - win by a long shot.

BTW What was the first trade mark to be registered?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Santhosh kumar
Here you go,

I read an article recently which says Germans are the most intelligent people in Europe.

What do you think??

Who are the most intelligent people(Nationality) in the world?

Please give your ratings(Atleast top 5 in the right order)

Regards,

Santhosh
Mike Testro
Hi Alexandre

Delila did not cut off Samsons hair - she ordered the court barber to do it.

I have no idea who got his hair caught in a tree.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
To All,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Regards,

Arnold
Samer Zawaydeh
Hello,

Merry Christmas Mike (a bit late - on the 3rd day of Christmas) and Happy New year for everyone.

With best regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Just one question to get you all started.

Who - according to the Old Testament - cut off Samson’s hair?