Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Weekend Quiz 2

3 replies [Last post]
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi All

Its Friday come round again - so here is another one.

I am at a particular spot on the surface of Planet Earth.

I walk 1 mile due south and 1 mile due East and 1 mile due North and arrive at the same spot where I started.

There are two places on Earth where this can happen.

Where are they?

Best regards

Mike T. 

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Bo

Got it in three.

Best regards

Mike T.

Bo Johnsen
User offline. Last seen 8 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Mike,

There are not 2 places where this can happen, but an infinity of places. One is located at the North Pole and the other "infinity minus 1" places are located close to the South Pole. You're probably looking for the one where when you have walked 1 mile due south the circumference of the Earth is exactly 1 mile, so if you walk 1 mile east (or west) you'll end up in the same location and then walk north.

However, you could also walk 1 mile south to where the circumference is half a mile and walk 2 times around or to where the circumference is one third and walk 3 times around and so on.

Cheers,

Bo

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 1 hour ago. Offline

I AM NOT A PENGUIN.