Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Anyone else using Synchro with their planning software?

11 replies [Last post]
Tom Howard
User offline. Last seen 8 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Just started using the 4D planning software Synchro that lets you combine a traditional programme with 3D representations of the construction project.

Whilst the results are no doubt impressive, it requires a HUGE amount of fiddly, upfront work to produce the 3D models. I am using google sketchup, and whilst I can’t complain too much (as it is free), it is very frustrating at times. So far I have only used boxes and blocks to represent the buildings as my efforts to produce a "real" representation have failed. I have combined these with hoarding lines, access routes and compounds to indicate phasing more than an actual construction sequence.

Is anyone else using this software ? How are you finding it ? What 3D software are you using it with ? Any tips / tricks you could share ?

Replies

damien kavanagh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

Hi, I have atatched a screen shot of a project that i have imported into synchro from navisworks. The schedule doesnt tally with the original file and I can change the dates and thee is some date greyed out is this because I have to link objects to tasks? or how do you suggest I correct this?

schedule_problem.jpg

Cynthia Stiffler
User offline. Last seen 6 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

I use Synchro on most of my projects.  Obtaining any kind of model files makes the work easier but when not available we use Autocad and Sketch up to overlay shapes lines etc onto a 2D import of the site layout or area layout. 

Mehmet Bacıoğlu
User offline. Last seen 7 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

Hello,

I currently use synchro scheduler. Its good to have it free). Anyone use it ? I have some questions.

Mehmet 

Mehmet Bacıoğlu
User offline. Last seen 7 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

Hello,

I currently use synchro scheduler. Its good to have it free). Anyone use it ? I have some questions.

Mehmet 

Leo Polintan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Engineers,

Iam looking for notes on productivity rates in steel fabrication and machine shops. Have anyone of you got it. If it is for sell, i would really need a copy.

Best Regards to all,

Leo 

Tom Howard
Very inventive! That’s always the sign of a good planner !

synchro does the same but slicker and quicker
Rubas M. Kutty
User offline. Last seen 10 years 5 days ago. Offline
Thanks Tom for the info.

I use a combination of Section Plane & Scenes to recreate the ’appear & disappear’ act in SU. If the result is combined with the time frame settings in Powerpoint, you can have an almost 4D effect :)

Of course, it’s quite time consuming & might be restricted to fewer activities.

Kind regards
Tom Howard
Synchro is wholly compatible with sketchup. As for design constraints, if you have been using SU for a while then you will know better than me what the constraints are. Synchro just allows you to view your project being built - ie by inserting and removing sketchup files into the same view over a specified timeline. Basically blocks appear and disappear on command, to create a movie showing the physical changes on site.

If you view any SU gallery online (especially the ones that use rendering) you will be very impressed at the results. Some even look like photos...
Rubas M. Kutty
User offline. Last seen 10 years 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Tom,

I have been using SketchUp for a while & the prospect of combining Synchro & SketchUp seems exciting.

I would like to explore further in this direction. Do you feel Synchro could be termed as compatible with SketchUp outputs?(I am using basic version of SketchUp & would soon move into Pro version) Basically, what are the design constraints associated with SketchUp? More than often, it’s to deal more with 2D drawings in the stage which I work. So, the SketchUp files are more skeletal than any detailed CAD file.

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Rubas
Tom Howard
Hi Michael,

Don’t normally have access to architects models - quite often not produced for the schemes we look at. I have been importing DWG files showing floorplans or site layouts however, and they have helped a lot. Not sure if you could also easily import and include elevations or whether that could just confuse matters.

I am learning on sketchup ever time I use it, and picked up pretty quickly that you don’t actually create one single file for the job (wish I had realised this from day one...). I create a base file with some of the components, and then copy and "paste in place" to additional files. It would have been a big help if Synchro had communicated some of these tips to me when I originally bought the software. I realise they dont make sketchup, but they would sell significantly more copies of Synchro if a basic "how to" guide came with it.

Finding that my laptop can just about handle the sketchup models, but struggles with importing large DWG files (I’ve had a few crashes...)

Also very difficult to get your head around the strict need for grouping. I have had lots of frustration as lines and faces merged with oneanother.

Apart from Smustard, do you know any other sources for ruby plugins ? Currently using "makefaces", "delete short lines", "extend close lines" and "bomb all".
Michael Ridino
User offline. Last seen 14 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Hey Tom,

I am using Synchro on one of my current projects. Google sketch up is good to use for simple buildings and structures but do you have access to any of the architects models?

When you create objects in sketchup you should try and separate each individual piece/activity. That way it will be easy to attach them to a schedule activity. Also, a good naming convention will help a ton.

#1 tip though is to make sure you have it installed on a kick ass system. A 5 year old laptop wont be able to handle it.

Mike