Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Who Is Using What Software?

6 replies [Last post]
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have been leaving P3 Enterprise questions without responses for some time now. I wonder if any PP members are actually USING P3 Enterprise of if everyone is just looking.

Perhaps it would be instructive to know who is using what type of scheduling software on real projects out there. Perhaps this question should be asked and summarized on member sign-up. Old members could be asked to update their files.

People looking for help might be able to contact people based upon this criteria. At least PP would then know the appropriate level of detail they should break down discussion groups (based upon membership.) What do you think?

Replies

Guy Hindley
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
One thing I am particularly keen on is the abiltity of the planning software to produce good quality network plots. These I use with the engineers to help understand integration issues. Many of the various packages are weak in this area, some of the more popular packages are only really useable once one has bought a bolt on extra - more cost and then it has to integrate. The best I ever used was Artemis 9000 and Artemis 7000! Many vendors could do with emulating that functionality.

All can produce barcharts, but if I need to understand logic nothing beats a good quality logically based network view of the world then most systems leave at least something to be desired. My interest in Planning is integration. Why do I have to buy bolt on extras, to me logic is so fundamental to good Planning?
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hello,

Planning Software: Our "Voting" page is essentially (lets face it, sorry team!) is bordering on rubbish. We should upgrade this.

We are working on some site pages that various software vendors can use to show and prmote their packages (i.e. 5 min guide to P3 etc).

In addition, we can sort out the parameters for a full scale software review, which could replace the current "Voting" page. We need to identify tick boxes, or pull down menus for everything such as software used (tick boxes), user appraisal of each software (pull down menu: great, good, poor, bad etc.), plus other issues.

Can you/we agree on what is to be polled/voted on and what data we collate. We could have a text box for user suggestions, or requests etc. These could be sent on the the vendors.

Anyone want to work up a list. Ideas please....?

Development Team.
Ed van der Tak
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Ronald,

One of the things I found is that most of the users of P3e are using this as P3. Most of the questions and answers are related to "real" problems which you only encounter when P3e is used in its intended way/company (project)structure.

P3e is a package, when in place, not only used by one planner. But I guess I dont have to tel you.

Within our company we already have a few years experience with the (correct and incorrect) use of P3e. Incorrect meaning that client are not willing to comply, and we plan as usual.

Nevertheless lets continue with the forum group P3e (it will take time).

Would it be an idea to do seperate polls to the use of specific software packages? Or even, as voting, to do regular planners related investigations?

Let plan the night away!

Regards,

Ed van der Tak
ARAM Planning Consultants
(independant of any package at all!!!!!)
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
The categories that I was most interested in was,

1. Experienced with the software and use it in work
2. Familiar with the software but no professional use
3. Unfamiliar with software.
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Guys, there are some interesting comments and thoughts here. We are in the process (albeit slow!) of setting up some forum categories to discuss some/all of the following...

Production Rates, Membership Ideas and Services, Site Dedvelopment etc etc

Perhaps we should consider including this software subject as a category and setting up some form of voting system that each member could use to try to summarize what is being used, and where, and on what type of project. These subjects could be discussed in a Software Category, but as you quite correctly mention, it is crucial to decide on what parameters need to be identified and collated. ??

Any ideas.

Planning Planet Team
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
There is an awful lot of planning software and web services out there. Do you suggest to include them all?

I think it would be useful to add that information as a reference to a users profile, but I do not think PP should restrict access to any discussion group based upon it.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc.