Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Is Dubai Construction Market in real Boom?

27 replies [Last post]
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I would like to draw our PP’ers(UAE) attention on the above subject.

Replies

Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there,

Dubai is booming with prestigious multi-million projects as well as other Gulf countries like Qatar. The issue is that Professional Planners need to have an International Organization where they can gather around and share their ideas/knowledge/common visions/market payscales, etc.in order to enhance the level of Planner in the industry and other related common matters that Planners are facing.

Planners’ renumeration packages depend on several factors:
1-type of recruiter’s organization (Contractor,Sub-Contractor, Consultant, Employer)
2-urgency of the project for Planner
3-outcome of the interview
4-Expatriate or local Planner
5-Knowledge/Expertise of Planner
6-Contact Person and his level of authority inside the organization
7-package content (insurance,accomodation,messing,transport, family allowance, number of air tickets and R&R,etc.)

In any case, Professional Planners having more than 10years of experience should get at least a net monthly salary of more than 18,000 Dirhams including all above item 7 plus bonus at the end of the year (depends on extra hours worked and performance evaluation)

Best Regards,
J. Daniel

Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Hi Shahzad,

Again the issue here is who make a best planner and who are in demand? Is it the realtime planner (knowledge in P3 and construction industry) or P3 starter (knowledge in P3).

Look like the market in Dubai is in demand for P3 starter (because willing to work for low salary) although the realtime planner make a best planner.

Regards.
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 9 years 4 days ago. Offline
In Dubai ,not certainly but in Western countries IT planner’s demand is really high
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Certainly construction planners and IT Background Planners are different in nature but the question is whether they create any impact on dubai construction market?.
Shahzad Munawar
Hi Sukumaran

Construction Planner’s importance is on its own place in Construction Industry, you cannot make comparison with IT planners who are totally set-aside
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Look like there are competition between construction planners and IT background planners (who knows how to operate P3 but less knowledge on construction).

Regards.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Dear Jaco,

Thanks for sharing the info, the Survey result seems to be encouraging.......

Cheers!!!

Daya

Jaco Stadler
User offline. Last seen 17 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Daya

I Just had a look at the last Planing Salary Survey (2004) of the Gulf.

The Outcome

The Average is US$ 49 685 = AED (182 478 / y)
= AED 15 206 / Month

Cheers
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Dear Raj,

Your suggestion seems to be good, let us see how it works for me.

Cheers!!!

Daya
Raj Maurya
User offline. Last seen 2 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Daya,
I don’t think that sending CV to every employer is a good idea because it will be lot of pain, might be end no result. We all should keep an eye to the vacant place near by just inform the friend planners who need it could join. Because when the employer doesn’t get the people then only they knock the door of consutants (agents)in most of the cases.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Dear Raj, You are right in certain aspects, contacting the employer directly. If we have a first knowledge of vacancy in the company we could contact the employer directly or we have to knock all companies email addresses to send our resume to them. I don’t know how much it would be for it. Cheers!!! Daya
Raj Maurya
User offline. Last seen 2 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Planners are in demand because of the boom in every industry, not only construction. If you are going through the consultant certainly you will bargain at lower end but if you are contacting the employer directly, you will be in a good position to bargain. I think for 10 years or more experience in planning people should not move in UAE anything less than 8K UD since UAE is expensive than other Gulf countries.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Dear All,

I too heard about the low salary syndrome in some companies in dubai. As Jaco rightly pointed out 10,000-15,000 Dhms is not a constraint for right planner.

I think following are the possible reasons for the low salary syndrome in some companies managed by ?????.

Possible Reasons:
1. Those are the companies who don’t really bother about real aspects of planning or
2. They might have one good Senior Planner and he needs some assistants(planners) to manage the jobs as per the direction of the Senior Planner. or
3. They can manage to do the job without real planners(may be due to repetitive nature of work i.e. only high rise buildings activities - apart from Basement(s)/Ground Floor, other floors may not have a major changes in structure)
4. The Client may be too weak just like their contractor or Majority of the contractors have the reputation of completing the job in time, irrespective of the planners what they have..............

Regards

Daya
Razi Khan
User offline. Last seen 7 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Everbody,

I will be frank and candid over this matter. I have worked in 3 Gulf countries in 5 years mostly on positions related with Time and Cost mostly at quite senior level. I even represented my parent company in Joint Venture with other company in other country with primarily responsibilty concerning Time & Cost.

Planners from 1st World or Western Countries would hardly find a Construction Company where "Planning" being practised as learned from the books or as discussed in this forum with the exception of few companies here and there. I have yet to come across with that "exceptions".

Fullfilling the Contractual Requirement of Plan & Planner is the main purose. Proactive Planners are frustated guys when they realised that what they are doing is not more then "scheduling" of activites. Most of the Companies are badly managed with the exception of some Multinationals and very few local companies.

So work wise you should coniser yourself very lucky if at the end of the day you feel "Job Satisfaction".

Regarding Salaries if you are from 1st World you would get 30% to 50% more than your asian counterpart wiht out any hard bargain. So a Westerner having 10 yrs experience could start from AED 15,000/ p.m. + Allowances in Westerner’s managed companies.

For Asians competion is from "Keralites" - my own countryfellow. They can ruin anybody’s bargaining strength at any level.

Waseem Saber
User offline. Last seen 1 year 35 weeks ago. Offline
hi,

Dubai is happening and now Abu dhabi has taken a leaf from dubai and there will be lot of oppurtunities for the planners (realtime planner)and the emulnaments match their experience and the company which they join and i agree with Jaco aed-10-15K is now available for the right candidate,before anybody from Europe or US take a decision it is worth to evaluate the pros and cons as the benefits such as Pension, Health care and other such facilities are not taken care here, ofcourse there is saving on the taxes but the other side it has a real impact,

hope it helps to prospective migrants,

cheers ATB.

waseem saber
Jaco Stadler
I Tend to agree with Joshi about the cheap labour from India but I must also say the skill of these are very low. It is normally people who goes on a p3 (Starter) course and suddenly they are a planner. ???. Some Company’s have seen it relised it. AED 10 000 to AED 15 000 their is plenty Jobs like that in the UAE for the right candidate.
Joshi Niraj
User offline. Last seen 18 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
The rates in Dubai have been reduced too much due to our Indians Keralian’s demand who accept the job of Planning Engineer at UAE Dirham 1500~2000 having 3-6 years.

That’s why now it become practice in Duabi to hire cheapest planners (mostly Keralians as well as Bangladeshi , sri lankan) at low rates by the Construction Groups because they accept UAE Dirham 2000~ 2500 without any hestitation which really a set back in UAE and due to that ,salary image in Dubai and Middle East is totally discarded . I am not pin point to our own pepole but this is the fact you can never deny it.

This is the fact that market goes down due to our own people

In such condition its your Luck if you get UAE Dirham 5000~7000 for planning Engineer having 8-9 years experience.

Diya,

Your quoted figures of Dhms 8000-15000 for planners having an experience of 10-15 years in top (high rise building) companies in Middle East is really fancy and dream.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
I think the salary is in the range of Dhms 8000-15000 for planners having an experience of 10-15 years in top (high rise building) companies.
Shahzad Munawar
Bill

Yes this is the fact that although there is boom in UAE but wages are less as compared to UK and USA varies from US$ 1000~2000 maxiumum.

Where in Iraq and Afghanistan, salary range varies from US$ 4000~6000 for a good planner.

Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Yes Bill,

I agree with you on age factor, but that is for entry level jobs and certainly it will not be a constraint for senior positions. Salarywise i think dubai will be on par with US/UK.

Cheers!!!

Daya
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
understand market good there,, but

on the downside, I understand wages are very low, about 50%of uk,and 75% below us.

Also, age restrictions are there, over 55 problem.

can anyone please verify this???

regards bill
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Dear Vishwas,

Thanks for your information, If the market is good and stable as you have mentioned, my next destination would be Dubai(in near future).

Cheers!!!

Daya
Vishwas Bindigana...
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 8 hours ago. Offline
Daya,

No doubt the market is good for construction activities (there are a lot of works which have just started). But, the market has become very competitive. The HR Depts. are weighing the pros-and-cons in recruiting proffessionals!

Any idea of coming here?

Rgds,
Shahzad Munawar
This year, Dubai Construction Market is really in Boom than any other region due to construction of high rise buildings and roads
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Dear Jaco,

Thanks for your reply, some of my colleagues are moving to Dubai. Just i wanted to know if the market is good, how long it will last?.

Cheers!!!

Daya
Jaco Stadler
Hi Daya Why ??
I am of opinion even though construction is very busy currently that the boom has stopped and that it is currently more an even line.

I am estimating approx 2 000 Tower cranes working in this area.

If you have a look at Gulf News you will see how many positions are availble in Dubai.

Cheers
Razi Khan
User offline. Last seen 7 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Yes. Without any doubt.

Cheers!