Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Myths associated with Planning and Scheduling

19 replies [Last post]
Pranab Kumar Deb
User offline. Last seen 2 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Planners,

I am preparing for an internal workshop in our organization, as part of the presentation,

I am planning to add a few lines on Myths associated with planning and scheduling.

The issues that instantly come to my mind are as below, can some of you please help me

in populating the  list?

1.Schedules are not cast in stone.

2.Schedules do not update by themselves neither work is done by itself.

3. ...............

4. ........

Appreciate your time reading and helping a fellow planner out.

Best regards

Pranab Deb 

Replies

David Wallace
User offline. Last seen 2 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

"If a man can work Primavera...then he must be a planner."

I must be going nuts...I cannot remember posting this.

Anyone who knows me will know that this statement is the polar opposite of my thoughts on 'what makes a planner"

Neeraj Agarkar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Pranab,

few myths

1) Planner is the owner of the Program.

2) Planner can predict all issues.

3) If you lose an EOT claim, it was a wrong Baseline. (Most EOT claims are lost because preemptive mitigation appears less promising than a claim situation; truth is that preemptive mitigation by resequencing saves a lot of bother and buys you credibility)

4) Everything should be planned into the Baseline. (most procurement / method statements / shop drawings etc.. cannot be modelled at the start of a project, especially when the contract conditions require quick delivery of the program).

5) Planners are claim engines.

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 6 days 22 hours ago. Offline

You can control the future by developing a schedule in ……. (your tool). Afterall our business is referred to as ‘project controls’.

The only thing a schedule can actually do is influence future decisions to the benefit of the project.  If it’s not doing this you have problems, management has very little influence over the immediate present, it’s too late ...... and no-one can change the past.

A ‘truth’ – useful schedules are useful because they are used!

If you need some more free resources see: http://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/Planning.html

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Pranab

Don't forget when you deliver your list of myths to explain the truths behind them.

and you might want to add one more:

Don't bother with keeping records - no one will need them anyway.

Best regards

Mike Testro.

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

Just for fun! I saw this posted on a wall of a Planner

1. A Planner is always right!

2. If not, go back to number 1

Cheers!

Daniel

Pranab Kumar Deb

Dear Sameer and Rafael,

Thank you very much, your addition is just priceless. Rafael thank you once again to give some

nice reading materials on this.

best regards

pranab

Sameer Khandalkar
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

Dear Pranab please add in your presentation one line which I use in all presentations "Garbage In, Garbage Out" means if inputs are not given to planners correctly output will not correct.

I hope this line will good punch in your presentation.

Thanks

Regards

Sameer Khandalkar

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 29 min ago. Offline

Planners and Schedulers need to know nothing about the work they are making a schedule for.

•Unfortunately, some managers assign the schedule to the less capable person to latter find themselves into chaos.

•Companies shall make sure their schedulers understand what they are scheduling, on the job training shall be encouraged.

A schedule by a single person cost less and will be better as the others know nothing about planning.

•One of the most useful management tools is brainstorming, is free and you can use it without even knowing the term.

•By getting involved into the planning those who eventually will manage the job will make them commit, group planning is a team-maker.

Float is real and absolute.

www.mosaicprojects.com.au/Resources_Papers_043.html

Resources do not matter.

• It is a fallacy there will be unlimited resources to solve any issue.

If you duplicate resources activity duration will be reduced to half.

• Productivity and crew composition are not linear.

Buffers are not needed better plan without any contingency.

• Unfortunately at times the unexpected happens or maybe some productivity assumptions were wrong.

Buffers shall be defined as activities. Perhaps my personal opinion about it being a Myth, the more the people believe in the statement the more of a Myth it is, if no one agrees then I would call it the mother of all myths.

• Buffer shall be interpreted as the difference in time between the optimistic schedule finish and your target job and target milestones not an activity itself.

• As the job progress the activities projections do move, therefore the effect of rain or seasonal changes will vary. Delaying events can be seasonal, so your buffer protection. Statistical methods will give you a better understanding on buffer protection.

• For the management of the job you need and unobstructed view, without buffers that will allow you to target to early dates. You cannot plan for a start of an activity for 2 days later because it might rain, what if not?

The schedule performance is the responsibility of a single person, usually one who has no control on the actual performance.

It is on the best interest of all that schedule logic not be changed.

• We are humans and schedule errors can occur, at times by a typo.

• Methods improvements can surface as the work progress.

Pranab Kumar Deb

Myths accosiated with schedules

1.Schedules are cast in stone. 2.Schedules update by themselves and work is done by itself. 3.If there is enough float you can take your time to do the work 4.It must be a good program - there are at least 3 critical paths. 5.If the schedule says "Start on this date" it must be right  

Myths accosiated with schedulers

1. Planners and Schedulers should be EXPERTS in the field they are making a schedule for.
  2. Planning engineer is responsible for the program and if the dates are not met it is the fault of planning engineer.
  3. The planning engineer is expected to precisely predict the sequence of works for the (3/4 year) project.
  4. If a man can work Primavera...then he must be a planner.
Pranab Kumar Deb

Dear Rafael,

Thanks for that, while i corrected in my presentation, I forgot to update this.

I would do the same tommorrow.

Best Regards

Pranab Deb

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 29 min ago. Offline

I myths are popular wrong beliefs then your "myth statements" shall be the opposite, shall represent wrong beliefs.

Such as:

Schedules are cast in stone.

Schedules update themselves.

Pranab Kumar Deb

Dear All,

Thank you for your whole hearted input to this, I would summarize as below

Myths accosiated with schedules

1. Schedules are not cast in stone.
      1.  No change in logical linking in the program is allowed while program is updated
    2. Schedules do not update by themselves neither work is done by itself.
    3. If the schedule says "Start on this date" it must be right.
    4. If there is enough float you can take your time to do the work
    5. It must be a good program - there are at least 3 critical paths.

Myths accosiated with schedulers

1. Planners and Schedulers should be EXPERTS in the field they are making a schedule for.
    2. Planning engineer is responsible for the program and if the dates are not met it is the fault of planning engineer.
    3. The planning engineer is expected to precisely predict the sequence of works for the (3/4 year) project.
    4. If a man can work Primavera...then he must be a planner.

I thank you all for your input.

Best Regards

Pranab Deb

Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Mike,

I know exactly where you are coming from Oracle want to take over the world and they think Primavera is the tool to do it!

Too much time is spent compling a schedule that can be resourced with costs, materials of any kind and labour. Project Managers then think the schedule will build the project and manage all thier resources.

Primavera is fast becoming a company accounting & project management tool.

Its like want to get a train from Southampton lto London and having to buy South West Trains not simply a ticket!

Mike Testro

Hi David

I would suggest that if anyone can work Primavera they must be an IT expert with more interest in accounting than building.

No sensible planner would bother with the thing.

Best regards

Mike Testro

David Wallace
User offline. Last seen 2 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

If a man can work Primavera...then he must be a planner.

Sreejish Vishnu
User offline. Last seen 11 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Hi Pranab,

7. Planning engineer is responsible for the programme and if the dates are not met it is the fault of planning engineer.

8. No change in logical linking in the programme is allowed while programme is updated

9.The planning engineer is expected to precisely predict the sequence of works for the (3/4 year) project.

In fact i would be interested in presenting the idea that planning and scheduling are two seperate aspects. The planning details such as how much time is required for an activity, what methodology is to be adopted, how much resources would be required etc is better to be given by the  team who is gonig to execute the work. The ownership of the logics and sequencing of works should be with the guys who are going to execute it. The planning engieer is responsible for coordinating between the various teams. The planning engineer is required to do more in terms of scheduling the programme, de-bottlenecking, putting toegether the plans from various trades, compliling all that into an overall project programme, etc etc. Finally, the ownership of the programe must be withthe project manager, not the planning engineer.

Bilal Al-sharif
User offline. Last seen 2 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Pernab,

6- Planners and Schedulers should be EXPERTS in the field they are making a schedule for.

Regards

Bilal

Pranab Kumar Deb

Dear Mike,

Excellent addition to the list, come on planners please add

pranab Deb

Mike Testro

Hi Pranab

3..... If the schedule says "Start on this date" it must be right.

4..... If there is enough float you can take your time to do the work

5..... It must be a good programme - there are at least 3 critical paths.

Best regards

Mike Testro