Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Management vs Leadership?

109 replies [Last post]
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Clive,

You’re absolutely right. Management and Leadership should be completely integrated otherwise neither of them works effectively. Management without Leadership becomes manipulation, paper-shuffling and bureaucracy. Leadership without Management becomes self-indulgence and dictatorship.

Charlie made a point that management thoughts change but leadership is always with us, and that’s true to a certain extent, but management thoughts aren’t management. At its simplest, management is making sure that the people you’re managing have the resources and support they need to do the job, then getting the hell out of the way so they can get on and do it. For that to be truly effective, though, someone has to show them a vision, an inspiration and an example, which is where leadership comes in.

Management and leadership both are essential to maximise success.

Chris
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Charlie
Surely leadership and management rely on each other
A leader must have managers to make it happen
A sheperd leads his dog and the dog manages the sheep
One with out the other and the sheep go everywhere
Clive
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hello,

I’ll be on Leadership.

Leadership was with mankind as old as man himself.

Scientific approach to management thoughts is the product of the twenty centtury. Management idea gave only broad understanding of the functioning of an organization: corporation, government services, construciton, military organization.

But it is leadership that will save the day.

In construction, an individual lacking in leadership will always complain, make alibi on why he cannot achieved, etc.

On the other hand, an individual with leadership skills got can do attitude, he can attain his objective and bulldoze his way to ensure what is expected of him to accomplish will become a reality.

Management thoughts will change, but, leadership will always be with us, human.

Cheers,

Charlie

Jerry Alivio
User offline. Last seen 15 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hello! Norzul,

I fully...Agree!!

Regards,

Jerry
Norzul Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 16 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Covey
1) Proactive
2) Begins with the end in minds
3) Put First Thing First
4) Think Win-Win
5) Seek First to understand then to be understood
6) Synergize
7) Sharpen the saw
Jerry Alivio
User offline. Last seen 15 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hello There,

Most of you are absolutely right, Hi! Norzul long time no see...since in Finland..

Management and Leadership are totally different in views but same focus " Project Delivery on Target".

Have you been through a Conpany or a Project whereby "There’s a Lot of Chiefs, not Enough Indians".

Joking side.

Jerry
Chris Oggham
Hi Guys,

Demetrius is absolutely right when he says "one needs the other to succeed". Which is why a lot of management theorists say that leadership is part of the management function. I’m not so sure that it need be integrated quite so tightly, but managers certainly do need to exhibit some leadership charactaristics, if only by setting an example.

Chris Oggham
Demetrius Aler
User offline. Last seen 11 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
I would say it’s the same difference between "organizing" and "directing".

Management deals on "how things are done or should be done" while Leadership deals on "what are the things that need to be done".

So one needs the other to succeed.
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Rami
I like that very much
I hope that the difference in the word "right" translates well
Clive
Rami Al Haddad
User offline. Last seen 4 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
I read in the book "the seven habits of highly effective people" by Stephen R. Covey’s a simple and nice destinction between management and leadership... the author suggests that;
management is the art of getting things done the right way while leadership is the art of geeting people to do the right things!!!

i hope this helps,

cheers...
Devamalya De
User offline. Last seen 5 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Norzul,

i believe u mean developing ’leaders’ and not people. However, i can’t buy on ’ownership’. Thats the intrinsic hallmark of any profesisonal. How can u define leadership on that basis?
Norzul Ibrahim
In our company leadership is defined to have 4 dimensions:
1) Develop people
2) Inspire people
3) Outperform
4) Ownership
Chris Oggham
Hi Norzul,

That`s a good question. I always reckoned Lao Tzu was right.

The Best Rulers

Of the best rulers,
The people only know that they exist;
The next best they love and praise
The next they fear;
And the next they revile.
When they do not command the people’s faith,
Some will lose faith in them,
And then they resort to oaths!
But of the best when their task is accomplished,
Their work done,
The people all remark, “We have done it ourselves.”

Lao-Tzu
Chinese philosopher
6th century BC

Just substitute Leader for Ruler.

Regards

Chris Oggham
Norzul Ibrahim
In this new challenging environment I believe the right leadership is of utmost important for any company to survive and sustain the progress.

What is the right leadership?
Devamalya De
Leadership is actually developing and nuturing an environment in which others can self-actualise in accomplishing their goal.

Leadership has three facets:

i) Accomplishing the mission
ii) Motivation
iii) Nurturing new leaders
tentu rama mohan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

I also feel, As Norzul Ibhrim said, managment deals with things. Management knowledge can be used to translate the vision, goals to detailed activities. We can also develop systems but Management does not focus on the people who really work to achieve the goals.

I feel Leadership clearly gives appropriate motivation at right time for the individual to putforth afforts in achieving the organisation goals.

Nelson Mandela, Gandhi achieved freedom for their Countries with leadership.
Chris Oggham
Hi Guys,

I found this discussion quite interesting as it highlights some of the current thinking on management which is not necessarily correct. If we take the definition of management given by Louis Allen, management consists of:

Planning
Organising
Leading
Controlling

This is similar to the definition proposed by Henri Fayol, where management consists of:

Prévoyance (Planning)
Organisation (Organising)
Coordination (Coordinating)
Commandement (Directing)
Contrôl (Controlling)

From these two at least we see that a managers must also be leaders, or they`re not doing the job properly.

There is a pretty good article about management and leadership which you can get to from the link below.

Is "Leadership" Contrary to Good "Management"?

Thanks for making me look at this again.

Chris Oggham

Devamalya De

Management is the art of getting work done with others. While Leadership is about providing direction, ideally proactively, showing the path, blazing a new one in the face of all odds, inspiring and keeping the moral high even when the chips are down.

My conviction is Proactiveness is the steeping stone to great leadership. If you are not proactive, you are actually eliciting response from others in order to react which means you are being lead by others.
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Norzul

As defined in some dictionaries: Leadership is the act of leading or the ability to lead; while Management is the manner of treating, directing, or administering somthing...

they may have various differences in functions but they both can exist in any individual...

Cheers!

Christian