Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Use of Giant Balloon during Rainy Season by Bechte

10 replies [Last post]
DATTATREYA PADHARTHI
User offline. Last seen 5 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All,
To mitigate the effect on monsoon on the Construction activities at Dabhol,India for a 2.8 Billion USD Power Plant, Bechtel & Enron employed a Giant Balloon over the site blocking downpour which
enabled even weather sensitive works to be carried out. (rainfall approx 300 cms during the rainy season).
The information which I have is:
400 sq. m , Vinyl-coated Polyester Balloon over the site at a sufficient height.
Can any one add to this regarding the approx cost/sq. m, thickness or any vendor
supplying such canopy type arrangements & what are the precautions to be taken.
I am sorry that this is not a forum for such queries, but I am unable to get any information.
Thanks in advance
Regards
Dattatreya

Replies

DATTATREYA PADHARTHI
Thanks all of you for your information; These things are not definetely new as is evident from various posts, being used in extreme cold conditions in Canada to extreme hot conditions. Now the area what we require is 200 x 100 m, 150 x 100 m, 100 x 100 m respectively (Process Areas, Utilities/ Offsites) with of course different heights. Now the question comes , who is going to benefit from all this.EPC Contractor or Client or is it a win-win situation. Factors: How much area is to be covered (Full, part, critical) & so accordingly the schedule. What is the Cost of each scenario? How much benefit in terms of crashing the schedule can be achieved, What is the impact of it on the sales of product? What is the ROI, etc & all the financial aspects? Now, EPC Contractor can only suggest alternatives(depending on its feasibilty). It is the Client who will take the decision. It seems to be a research topic for EPC Contractors & highly unlikely to invest time/money on these issues. Is it the same situation on Client side or the grass is greener there??
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi alan,

Do not underestimate those guys in the Thobes (Arab Dress), they have a Formula 1 team and sponsor an Americas Cup team, so what is bobsleigh team in comparison, especially when the the Jamaicans from about the same latitude has been successful at it (without the bucks).

Jokes aside, a balloon will not even help there as the temperature quoted in the previous post, was in the shade. We were doing steel fabrication in Qatar last year (in the open), and the temperaturesof the steel went up to 72deg C plus. I think the original posting was refering to protection against rain, in monsoon conditions.

Regards

Philip
Sunil Kumar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hey Allan,

Wanna get a nice Tan, This is the Right time to Come over to Dubai. The weather will be Just fine 45 C to 50C !

Cheers

Sunil
Alan Chadwick
User offline. Last seen 10 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Whatever next....a UAE bobsleigh team, the mind boggles !
Jaco Stadler
User offline. Last seen 17 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Allen

Since I am the only one from UAE. I will respond. This happen in the INDIA. But Strange that you mentioned it we have eaven had snow this Year. (9 Days of rain in 2005). Believe it or not But from September you can bring your Ski’s as well on Holiday I will take you for a SKi Trip. Yes in the UAE (Duabi)
Alan Chadwick
User offline. Last seen 10 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
From all of the replies from members in Dubai about how good the weather is over there am i suprised that it rains at all....are you sure that the ballon was not a cheaper means of sun block....
DATTATREYA PADHARTHI
Dear Jaco,

Please Visit this website & you will find all weather construction work shown.

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/product/abwr/english/products/reactor/abwr02_4.htm

Regards
Dattatreya
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,

This story about a giant baloon sounds a bit funny, ie 400sq m covers an area of 20m X 20m, hardly a construction site of note. There is much large inflatable domes available, and probably at a much lower cost.
I was involved with a project a couple of years back, where such inflatable domes were used as temporary shutters for domed sileage structures. The dome was inflated, with re-inforcing on the inside and gunite sprayed onto this, to form a permanent domed concrete structure, which wa very cost effective.
Something like this would make more sense than a balloon.
By the way, Bechtel has a good website, if this strory is to be found anywhere, I would suggest start there.

Regards

Philip
Jaco Stadler
User offline. Last seen 17 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Does any body have a photo.

I Realy would like to see something like this
Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Dattatrya,
Ways of mitigating the effect of atmospheric and weather conditions in Projects’ Constructions have improved in the past decades. In cold regions Intn’l co. are using many ways for winter concreting (i.e. shed, air hot blower, rebar’s elect. heating, etc.) and in areas exposed due to monsoons (like India) covers and balloons.
In your case, I think the TARPAULIN trademark can be used as a heavy duty cover, I witnessed its resistant to UV, rain, snow and different unstable weather conditions in CIS Countries. You can search on the web site for the vendors of this trademark and ask them about your queries and quotations.

Regards
J. Daniel