Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Productivity during cold season

3 replies [Last post]
Tim Tam
User offline. Last seen 9 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi, I have not worked in a place where there cold season before. I need some advice from experienced planner or project manager . Would there be a significant drop in productivity during this period . I heard the lowest temperature here is ard -10 degree Celsius . I am concern during this period my schedule will be affected ... Any one has any data on the % of productivity drop ? Br Lim CH

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Tim Tam

If you are working in a permafrost zone the ground will never thaw out so you will have to excavate through it.

Obviously frozen ground is harder to break out than warm soil but not impossible using a breaker.

The foundations must be below the freeze zone and any ground floor slabs must be suspended above the surface to avoid any thaw shrinkage after construction.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Tim Tam
User offline. Last seen 9 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Will the ground be too hard to excavate then in that case would early excavation to the right level be appropiate ?

Br

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Tim Tam

If -10c is the lowest to be expected then he productivity will drop depending on the tasks to be done but not by much - say between 15-20%

But there are other considerations:

1. Daylight Hours - this will control your work pattern unless using artificail light.

2. Dress time - you will need to allow at least 15 mins at the start and end of each shift for the crew to get into their cold weather suits.

3. White out days - put some on the calendar.

On a project in Siberia I allowed a different work pattern for each week from October to March using 3.5 hrs at the lowest point where the temperature was -40c.

Best regards

Mike Testro