Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Working in the cold!

6 replies [Last post]
Stuart Ness
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
As an aside to the current thread on Global Resources weighting, can anyone provide any factors that can be applied to productivity levels in regard to extreme cold?
For example, how much is productivity of, say cable laying, steel erection or pipe laying, affected when the air temperature drops to - 20 degrees C. ?
Are there any recognised studies in this regard?

Help appreciated!
Stuart

www.rosmartin.com

Replies

Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,

I find Tomas Ribera quotation quite interesting, as although I do not have experience of extreme cold, I have extensive experience on the hot side. I do, however, find that sometimes production rates are subjective, and do not take factors into account such as where the workforce comes from, as well as where in the world the jobsite is, ie if you took people from near the equator to Siberia, and vica versa, the normal production norms would fly out the window.
To give you an idea, people in Central Africa dress up in coats when the temp falls below 20°C. Obviously if you used Siberians or Innuits, who are used to the cold, in severely cold conditions, you would get better productions, but the question would be, do they have the right experience for the job? This means the quotation is probably right in 80% of cases, but not always true in all cases. The envelope quoted ie 7°-32°C could vary either way by as much as 10°dependant on the origin of the workforce.

Regards ,

Philip Jonker
Stuart Ness
Hi Tomas

Thanx very much for the info on working in the cold; very informative especially your comment about productivity dropping by 10% for every 5C, and I managed to get the Grim & Wagner paper on the Internet.
It helps a lot – much appreciated and thanx again!

Stuart

www.rosmartin.com
Tomas Rivera
User offline. Last seen 5 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Stuart:

I looked into my library and found a book titled Human Factors/Ergonomics for Building and Construction by Martin Helander, published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1981. There might be a later edition. This book has a short section about productivity under exposure to cold, which I am transcribing below:

"Few empirical data exist concerning the effectts of environmental temperatures on construction productivity. Data on mason productivity in the United States are available (Grimm and Wagner, 1974), and it has been estimated that for ambient temperatures outside the range from 7 to 32C, productivity declines about 10% per 5C, and declines more rapidly in the heat than in the cold (National Electrical Contractors’ Association of America, 1974)."

The complete references are as follows:

"Grimm, C. T., and Wagner, N. K. Weather Effects on Mason Productivity. Proceedings of the American Society of Civil Engineers, 100, 319-335, 1974."

"National Electrical Contractors Association of America, The Effect of Temperature on Productivity. Washington, D. C.: 1974."

The above information might help you also to research for up to date information.

Tomas Rivera
Altek System
Detailed Scheduling an Control of
High Performance Construction Projects
Stuart Ness
Hi Robert,
Thanks for the info, which prompts one other question:
If the ambient temperature drops to (only!) – 20 Deg C (as opposed to the -40 degrees to which you refer), is the effect on productivity proportional, or is there a point where productivity level drops to 40% and bottoms out?

David,
Thanks also for your input; again a similar question arises from your comment:
Is there a point below freezing (or even above freezing) where it is simply dangerous/impractical to erect steel? I fully appreciate that steel erection cannot be executed at say -35C; can it be executed at say -5C ?

Your views are much appreciated.

Thanx

Stuart

www.rosmartin.com
Robert Adams
User offline. Last seen 19 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
I’ve been working on-site in the oilsands in Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada, and in the winter the temperature is normally -40C - very cold.
A lot of machinery becomes brittle at that temperature, so very little work is done of any kind unless there is heating and hoarding.
But as a productivity factor, we were using 40% of normal to estimate the durations under those conditions.
Hope that is helpful.
David Watters
User offline. Last seen 19 years 4 days ago. Offline
Worked on a job in Sweden (-15 to -35 celcius ambient air temp).

Simply put no steel erection and no welding. (Mind you that was a Swedish workforce who were less than co-operative at the best.)

They reckoned it was not possible to weld or erect steel in those temps due to the danger of slipping on ice covered steel, hands sticking to cold metal, operation and plant and equipment in that temperature range (In specific the increased tempo of maintenance that would be required to keep plant operational and safe to use) and the less than remote risk of frostbite leading to claims.

That was my experience - sorry if its not much help but those were some of the key issues which I thought might be usefull in a practicle sense.