Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Discussion During Weekly & Monthly Meeting

27 replies [Last post]
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Everybody,

Good day! Please I need your input and suggestions. I am from consulting side and I need to check, monitor and comments the Weekly & Monthly Progress Report of the contractors and their accomplishment based on actual.

The type of project is a Marine Works. Scope of Works are as follows:

1. Construction of Piers using Caisson Method.
2. Construction of Dry Dock 1 & 2 and Quay 1 & 2.
3. Sill & Apron
4. Electro Mechanical
5. Building and Storage Areas

In order to monitor their current programme against baseline, aside from basic comments such as, delays, floats, sequence, critical activities so on & so forth. What are the other related and relevant interesting topics that I can discuss during the weekly and monthly progress meeting with regards to their schedule/programme?

Any comments and suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Replies

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Nailya,

One page is enough if you are going to have 1-2 hour meeting. The weekly meetings are for reviewing the important issues and ensure that the project is on track.

You can have the different processes in the columns and up to 35 projects in rows on one page.

You can have a separate page for the issues that you want to discuss. Overall, one page, two sides is more than enough.

Details are left to special meetings.

With kind regards,

Samer
nailya aliyeva
User offline. Last seen 10 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
This thread contains very valuable information what is to be discussed on a weekly meeting with contractor

I have the same dilemma at the moment

Our Contractor works not a single big project but a large number of small size projects ( some of them ongoing, some - not started yet, but in plan and budget for 2010).

So it is difficult to create one page report and get discussions around this report. For all projects you cant have all components that you think is worth to review at the meeting (procurement, engineering & construction progress, delays, resource availability and etc..) captured in one report - you might need a package( a set of reports)

R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Arnold,

How’s the weekly meeting going?

Have you come up with a weekly generic agenda that you might want to share in PP?

Best regards,
Rommel
Arnold Puy
Hi All,

Thank you so much for the information.

Regards,

Arnold
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hi

I believe you received a lot of value information.
Just some items I might ask during the weekly meeting to get the real feel on the project.

1. What are the key (TOP 2) issues which is affecting the schedule
2. What are the key (TOP 2) risks which might affecting the schedule
3. Is there any changes in the Critical Path
4. If the risk + issue is affecting the critical activities, (HOW/WHAT/WHEN/WHO) to resolve the item

HTH

Regards

Alex
R. Catalan
Samer,

If your asking about the Technical Specifications, every has it.

Regards,
R. Catalan
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear R.

Can you please provide us with a link to that document. To download or purchase.

Best,

Samer
Nestor Principe
User offline. Last seen 12 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Samer,

Ideally, 1 planner per contract depending on the size. If the Contractor submitted sensible baseline programme, the programme update submitted periodically is very useful. The Contractor submits all the reports I needed which normally is required in the contract.

Cheers,
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Nestor,

Because if it is a Big project then you need a full time planner to support and keep the program of works updated. It is a lot of work on a Big project and usually it is maintained by more than one person. At least one planner in each discipline.

For small size project, you can run your program of works in addition to your other assignements.

Best Regards,

Samer
Nestor Principe
Hi Samer,

It’s only 1 contract in 1 big project. Why not if it’s for good of the project.

Cheers,
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Nestor,

Very good points and very good positive action. Works well for small size projects.

But you will not have the time to do all the work on big projects.

Best Regards,

Samer
Nestor Principe
Hi Arnold,

Some you may consider to include in the agenda:
safety, quality, status of RFI, claims, design issues (permanent and temporary), environmental, areas of concerned, etc.

I have experienced reviewing programme with no logic at all. I helped the Contractor understand why they need a good programme and even prepared the draft and asked them to submit. Life was a lot easy thereafter.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Arnold Puy
Dear Samer,

Thank you so much for your Information.

Regards,

Arnold
Arnold Puy
Hi Mike,

Yes, there is and the Client applied it.

Arnold
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Arnold,

I would like to add a comment on your original question about what to discuss in a regular weekly or monthly meeting.

The following has proven to be comprehensive:

1. Material submittals progress; all disciplines.
2. Shop drawings progress; all disciplines.
3. Procurement status; all disciplines.
4. Program of Works.
5. Issues.
6. Variations/ changes requests/ Invoicing status.
7. Commissioning and handing over.

Best Regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Arnold

You are quite right to reject such a flawed programme.

Insist that a proper programme be prepared before any approval is given.

Is there a payment sanction in your contract for non submission of the contract programme?

If so apply it.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Arnold Puy
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice. The Client/Engineer is not actually completely blameless in causing delay but, some part of the role cause the contractor to delay due to some changes of the original design from piles to caisson likewise, the variation to contract which was modified the original project finish date from 31-Dec-09 to 30-Jun-10 which is Six months additional period.

The reason why we did not yet approve the baseline programme due to unrealistic & unreasonable duration, the dates does not correspond with the plan, did not fit into the time frame with corresponding work and does not meet the contractual obligations.

The general sequence of tasks is irrational especially the major activities are out of sequence.

There are large Floats (200 to 350 days) lags (100 to 700 days) and representing improper logic with regard to the tasks. Constraint is not a big part in this programme.

Resources were broken down into trades. However, the quantity is not matching with BOQ and of the estimate. If this is not match, the schedule may be inaccurate.

Regards,

Arnold
Arnold Puy
Hi Safak,

Thank you for your input.

As a matter of fact, they were delayed not because of mobilization. According to them, they were delayed due to dewatering works.

But, as per Contract Milestone, the Dewatering & Excavation of Dock must finish on Nov. 15, 2008. However, they finished the dewatering works on Nov. 08, 2008 based on their Progress Report which is 7 days ahead of schedule.

Regards,

Arnold
Safak Vural
User offline. Last seen 3 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Arnold,

I want to mention what I will try to do. I would try to request all the reports that are mentioned in Contract or Planning & Cost Control Procedures. Push CONTRACTOR to prepare all in time and in a good quality. Ask for a Recovery Plan with all of the Production Analyses depending on quantity surveys. According to me the CONTRACTOR will have the correct quantity surveys not CLIENT. Ask for detailed handover dates for systems or areas that you can also match with QA/QC and certification process. Also ask for preparations of CLAIMS or VARIATIONS put a control system in.

For the recovery plan (revision) you asked, please survey it in detail and response to the CONTRACTOR with the all logic, resource and end-date defects. After agreeing on a baseline you can check the site performances of work being done weekly as an indicator. I think CONTRACTOR is obliged to submit a progress report on a dashboard or similar control system weekly. So you can have your own tracking sheets to compare the actual manhours spent (From daily reports) with manhours earned(% * Discipline Total Budget) and manhours planed(From Target Schedule).

As a CLIENT, if you want to punish the CONTRACTOR at the end with the penalties in CONTRACT. Leave them to their own, and make them regret not to give importance to project management. (I know this is not ethical and it can effect project completion).

I encounter similar kind of problems (but I was from CONTRACTOR side), the main problem at my case is that the top management (from both sides) has a history and ongoing business relationship apart from that project and very huge compared with it. The latest project seems to be less important than other relations and bla. bla. bla.....

If CONTRACTOR is hiding information and being late at the same time, they are going to regret these actions at the end. I assume that late mobilization is the key factor for the delay, CONTRACTOR has defects and due to this fact they are playing as a closed box. But they forgot something; they should issue variations or claims (probably time dependant) before (best) or immediately after the situation occurs. But in this case they will hold this because they have something that they need to hide. At the end it will not effect how the parts relationships is good, the clash will be settled by CONTRACT and they will regret because of Performance and Liquidated Damage Penalties that are going to be cut from their last 5-6 payment certificates. Or closing the commercial works after months of project completion which will cause profit loss.

Best Regards,

Safak
Mike Testro
Hi Arnold

Now we are coming to the point - 15 months into 31 months = 50% time against 11% progress.

Something has gone horribly wrong - the very drastic client response of removing key Contractors staff indicates that panic is setting in.

Is the Client / Engineer completely blameless in causing delay?

Does the programme actually represent the work and the sequence of tasks that is needed to be carried out? A bad programme will give an unrealistic response to progress.

I would suggest that now is the time for you - as the Clients project planner - to try and get a grip of the programme and set down the realistic sequence and durations of the work to completion.

Start being Pro-Active rather than Re-Active.

This will give you a better control platform when the new staff arrive.

Do not try to impose a new programme on the Contractor - better use suggestion and conjolery to get the Contractor to change the planned approach.

I wish you luck - you are in a very problematical situation.

Please keep in touch with developements.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Arnold Puy
Stephen,

Thanks for that...

The Contractor knows what they are doing but they are trying to hide something and they think that nobody knows about it. Perhaps the Planners are just following orders from their boss.

Nevertheless, from our side we are also trying our best to find a solution, giving them another by letting them rectify their works again until they realize that their programme is not acceptable to the Client.

During the weekly and monthly meeting, the said contractor always presenting non-informative and wrong input to their progress with regards to the figures. I don’t know why are they doing this, until finally, our Resident Engineer and Project Manager from Client side decided and requested the Owner of the Company to replace the Project Director and some other staff who were involve in manipulating the wrong information. This is first action taken by our side and the Client.

The project already finished the duration of 15 months out of 31 but, their progress still 11% completed with lot of Non Conformance Report (NCR) issued.

Mike,

You are right. I notice that some of their activities are not in the right link and sequence. All activities have their own link aside from start & finish activities of the project.

Regards,

Arnold
Mike Testro
Hi Arnold

If there are a number of activities with large ammounts of float it would seem that there is a link or two missing.

Can you run a filter on tasks with no outgoing link?

When they are identified then you can tighten up the float.

Large total float also occurs when there are individual work sections but only 1 completion date. The section end dates need to be linked to the completion date.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Arnold,

As a fellow consultant, it sounds to me like you’re doing a pretty good job! With regard to:

"The only problem is the resource loaded (Cost & Quantities) in their programme is not consistent with the one we had in Project Measurement Sheet (PMS). However, their PMS came from Primavera Programme extracted and generated in Excel. Then they modified and altered it in Excel. That is why the figures are not matching with the one in Primavera."

If you don’t have accurate data, you’re hamstrung! Perhaps their behavior is acceptable somewhere, but it’s hard to believe. I think you are justified in encouraging your client to make a huge ruckus about the contractor unilaterally making changes that are not integrated into the PM s/w, or indeed into a dynamic CP-based tool.
Arnold Puy
Hi,

First of all thanks for your quick reply.

Mike,

1. As a matter of fact, I have an electronic copy of contractor’s programme but it is not updated. They will only update and submit during monthly report. For weekly report they are not oblige to submit the electronic and hard copy of Primavera Format. This is according to the contract.
2. There progress is actually delayed 7% compare to baseline. This the reason why we want them to submit a recover planned.
3. Float is not shown in the column but, if I have a weekly updated programme from them I can easily check where are the activities that can be delayed without affecting the completion date of the project.

Stephen,

Yes, I am doing Earned Value tracking. The only problem is the resource loaded (Cost & Quantities) in their programme is not consistent with the one we had in Project Measurement Sheet (PMS). However, their PMS came from Primavera Programme extracted and generated in Excel. Then they modified and altered it in Excel. That is why the figures are not matching with the one in Primavera.

Yes you are right Stephen, we often check the restriction of float from 0 to 15 days for critical activities. Likewise, I found out that they have about 50 activities of 200 to 300 days total floats.

Thanks.

Arnold
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi, Arnold.

Are you doing earned value tracking? If so, schedule and cost variances, and schedule and cost performance indices should be noted, along with any changes and trends from previous progress reports. (Of course, it would be best if the SPI baseline were on the backward pass, where any delay is really making the project late.)

If you have the financial infrastructure to break down the CPI so as to have separate CPIs for each discipline or subcontractor, then you can attribute underperformance on cost to specific areas of responsibility in a quantified format, as well as predict future patterns for the rest of the project.

While Mike’s idea of a Float Bank will give you something to say that might sound impressive, tracking a large pool of float is pretty pointless, and very gameable -- starting one path that has 50 days of float, and getting it to 70 days of float, will render invisible the impact of a path going from 25 days of float to 5 days of float. This is one of the big problems with SPI also -- it’s distortable by starting things with lots of float early, when the only thing that actually delays the project is items without float being delayed.

I’d suggest instead a combination:

1. Restricting the pool to the float of just those paths that on the baseline plan have less than a specific amount: say, 20 days,; and

2. Noting any new paths that enter the "under 20" category.

You didn’t mention it, but I assume you are doing risk reporting and updating? Every risk/opportunity factor that was scheduled to occur during the most recent progressing period should be reported on, and every risk factor due to occur during the upcoming period should be noted.

Finally, no progress report should be complete without identifying the top five/ten/twenty DRAGs of upcoming activities and recommending potential ways of reducing at least some of them.

Fraternally in PM,

Steve D.
Mike Testro
Hi Arnold

1. Do you have an electronic copy of the contractor’s programme? You will need it to verify what they are reporting is correct.

2. Is the progress line jagged or straight? If jagged you will not see the true situation regarding the end date - make sure it is rescheduled in the straight position.

3. Is total float displayed in a column? - Disapearing float is an indicator that delays are occurring - Ask for a total of float (Float Bank) to be reported at each meeting and compare to the last meeting.

Good luck & Best regards

Mike Testro
R. Catalan
Arnold,

The best reference on what to discuss during periodic meetings is the General Requirements (Division 1, if using CSI coding) of the project Technical Specifications.

The above document covers all administrative and procedural requirements for submittals required for the performance of the Work.

At the start of the project, I normally prepare a table showing the list of all documents to be submitted periodically and the date of submissions.

Hope this helps,

R. Catalan