Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

When importing an xer file, multiple resources are missing.....anyone know the answer?

14 replies [Last post]
Stephen Phillips
User offline. Last seen 7 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

My activities have multiple assignments of the same resource. However when I export and then import the programme there is only one assignment of that resource.

E.g. an activity needs 8 installers, so I allocate "installer" 8 times.

When re-imported only 1 installer is there and the budgeted hours are one eigth what they should be?

Replies

Sagar Hassan
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi All,

I have exported my Project ver P6 16.2 & was trying to import in other system which is having p6 ver 19.0 but when import is finish then i found no resources have been imported?

May any ony one assist me why resources are not importing in other system even I have exported completed Project.

Appreciate early reply.

Thank You

B/R Hassan

efren labay
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

Can anyone here can forward to me a working program of P6xerFileParserBuilder.

Need it badly. This is my email: EFRENDLLABAY@YAHOO.COM

Thanks & Appreciated.

Efren

Anning Sofi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Stephen,

Primavera will allow you to do what you wanted when you imported the file, that is you want to see the resource "installer" assigned 8x in your activity.

How to do this?

In P6, click the Projects tab at the top-left side of your screen. Scan the bottom of your screen and you will see some tabs, General, Notebook, Planning Resources.... Resources, Settings,Calculations.

Click on thes Resouces Tab.

After you click the Resources Tab, look for the Resouces Assignments. Tick the box that says, Resources can be assigned to the same activity more than once.

Open your project, and reimport your file. You should have your "installer" assigned 8x to your activity.

Done.

Greg Horsfall
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Importing resource assignments with the sdame resource assigned more than once requires you to use insert new option for assignments as the default of update existing will cause the second and subsequent assignment to update the first. Many construction, rail and oil and gas companies are now using XER Manager from Executive Portlets to prepare XER files prior to import, eg to convert EPS activity codes to project codes and to delete unwanted UDFs and codes etc Greg Horsfall
Jenny Ingco
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Stephen,

I think when you Import the project to your P6 and when you get to Update Project Options --> Modify---> Resources --> Insert New. Then you will have same resources use to be in your system.

Thank you,

HANSON

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline

RAfael,

Importing XER files to create or update projects in a database that was not the source of the data to begin with is full of issues.  You do need extra software to deal with  the problem.....

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 9 min ago. Offline

David,

What you are saying makes sense to me for updating purposes under these circumstances, as a matter of fact I have seen on the web software that claim help you cleans all garbage that comes with XER files.

But does this solve the issues when you import for the first time the job or when the revised job has added/deleted activities, resources ... ?

Best regards,

Rafael

David Kelly

Practically all owners in my world (European Oil and Gas) have "abandoned" accepting contractor XER files - it's not the multiple resource assignment issue, but the contractor Activity Codes ,  User  defined fields, Calendars etc that are inherited when you import an XER file that came from a different database.

Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS

Steve

on the activity code issue, please be aware that if the code are EPS one, during the Export they will be defintly get lost

Got this issue long time ago, when mentioned to Primavera/Oracle they said it is "normal"

I tend to discorage use of project or EPS code.

L

Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS

HI

as previously mentioned, i willput the budget at 800% to model the 8 installer

However technically the way around is to get an unique Cost Account (dummy one) for each of the resource assignment and it will now the resoruces will remain during the various export/imports

L

Rafael Davila

If you only use Primavera's built in Import/Export to Excel to update plans, modify baselines etc, and you always annotate the resource assignment record with a cost account - you can get away with it.

Do you mean that for a secure transfer of P6 files among P6 databases the use of XER shall be abandoned because otherwise there is no sure way some data transfer might be lost?

It is hard for me to believe XER is so unreliable. I cannot imagine owners specifying for contractors to submit their updates using Excel files instead of xer files. When you transfer a project file among databases of the same software you shall be able to transfer everything exactly as it is on the source.

David Kelly

All releases of P6 up to and including 6.7 do not fully implement a "uniqueness identifier" for the same resource used more than once against an activity.

The classic problem here is "Update Baseline" when you can get almost any result if you have that data. This is fixed in version 8.2 - but there are several new issues to worry about.  I have not che4cked 8.0 or 8.1

Walter is not quite correct, there is a fix. If you only use Primavera's built in Import/Export to Excel to update plans, modify baselines etc, and you always annotate the resource asignment record with a cost account - you can get away with it.

Rafael Davila

We have had the same problem and to fix this you need to set your resources up so that its only assigned once to an activity.

But if you have 2 units of the same resource assigned 8h/day at 100% assigment all 8 hours and 2 units assigned 4 h/day at 100% assigment four hours only for the first half of the day for a single activity how you transfer this data without invalidating the model?

Photobucket

Best regards,

Rafael

Walter van Jaarsveld
User offline. Last seen 11 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Hello gents,

We have had the same problem and to fix this you need to set your resources up so that its only assigned once to an activity.

I know that this is not the answer you want to hear but its the only way I could find to fix this issue.

Steve Paterson
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

How have the assignments been set up in the dictionary - project, global or EPS?

We have been experiencing loss of codes depending on how things have been set...might be worth investigating along these lines.