Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

error code DSECL-0549-F (disconnected from database)

2 replies [Last post]
Johnny Pain
User offline. Last seen 2 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

hi all,

some of my colleagues use P6 v6.2.1 daily.

they've got a "server" (which is actually a common XP workstation) with P6 and SQL server express installed.

opening the server database from the various workstations isn't a problem, and it all works fine,

BUT

sometimes (up to 3 times a day), they get this error code : DSECL-0549-F which seems to indicate that the connection to the database has been lost (and ony the connection is lost, the network works fine besides P6). shutting down P6 and restarting it seems to bypass the problem and everything is up again, until the next error message a few hours later.

the "server" is shut down once a week, every pc using P6 is wired, they run a few maintenance queries in SQL server regularly to prevent anything to happen, everyone is in TCPIP and they use DHCP from a netgear router (but the pronlem was already here when we were using fixed IPs).

I can't seem to find the exact same error code on the internet, like we're the only ones in the world who have this problem.

does anyone have an idea of what we're doing wrong ?

thanks !

Replies

Johnny Pain
User offline. Last seen 2 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

ok then !

this is the first time we ever use P6 this much, so we're discovering new things everyday !

I'll look into this as soon as I can.

thanks for your help

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Mr. Pain,

Is your IT department aware that your group is breaking its software license with Microsoft?    SQL Server Express is only licensed for a maximum of 5 users and some of those ‘users’ are necessary system housekeeping functions.  Obviously, whenever a system housekeeping function starts-up, the lower-priority users get bumped off of the system.

The free SQL Express software is intended for stand-alone service.  It is not supposed to be used for a group dedicated server.  It is limited to using only one CPU and 1 GB of memory.  The other issue is that you are limited to 4 GB of table space (10 GB for Express 2008 R2).

This is not large enough for the type of use that you are apparently applying.  You need to install a full version of SQL for your application.  Good luck!