Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to update Unique Fields using excel and importing back to P6?

2 replies [Last post]
Voltaire Frederic...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All:

Good day! I'm a beginner in using P6 and I have some problems updating the Units (Budgeted Nonlabor Units). What I am trying to do is to match the budgeted nonlabor units and the at completion nonlabor units in excel then import it back to p6.

Do you have any idea on how to update columns which are unique fiellds that has (*) in the column title? Thank you very much..

With best regards,

Voltaire

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

any column heading with an * are not importable back into P6

however non labor units at completion should be able to be imported back into p6

as Mike suggested it might want to look at the "Link Budget and At Completion for not started activities"

also run this global change 

go to tools global change

new

where 

calculate cost from units equals yes

then 

calculate cost from units equals no

then select change on the right hand side

then select commit changes 

now try the importing again 

also go to the project directory make sure your project is highlighted

go to the calculations tab

on the rigt under resource assignments

make sure that 

under When updating Actual units or costs  that 

Subtract actual fro at completion is checked

Michael Lepage
User offline. Last seen 39 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Voltaire,

I understand what you are trying to do, but rather than trying to force it, I have another suggestion.

Open the project, go back to the Projects page, highlight the project, check out the Calculations tab.  There is a checkbox there called "Link Budget and At Completion for not started activities".   

This, I believe will do what you're trying to do in excel.  It happens often, if you've imported a microsoft project file, that the budgeted and at completion units are not the same for not started activities.

As a beginner, you might also be interested in some Primavera tutorials at http://www.planacademy.com

Good Luck,

Michael