Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Push to move away from WBS to Activity Codes

4 replies [Last post]
Martin Selley
User offline. Last seen 2 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Hii,

Anyone gettibng pressure from Company to move away from WBS to using solely Activity Codes?

I know primavera/oracle have been pushing this but don't know how far this has gone.

Usually non-planners push this type of change.

Replies

Dennis Hanks
User offline. Last seen 7 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

[Stepping on my soap box]

For me, the value lies in linking the schedule to the estimate/budget.  If your estimate/budget is not organized by project WBS, there is little additional value over activity codes - except that P6 seems to really like using a WBS.

No suggestion that any schedule not be fully integrated - resource loaded - with Estimating and Accounting.  In other words, IMHO, all schedules should be resource loaded and therefore rely on a fully developed WBS - use activity codes whenever the need arises.  It is not an either/or, but rather what is appropriate.  

All schedules should be resource loaded from a source external to the planner/scheduler and this source be cited in the Schedule Basis.

[now stepping down from my soap box]

mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 4 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

you can easily map your wbs to use activity code instead, just excel and the use of the sdk

Hi Martin,

No pressure my end as well.  May I ask what pressure seems to arise your end in using Activity Codes?

Check this out anyway, might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNyaKBzr5Ak

Regards,

JRP

Sam .
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

No pressure at my end. Yet. Seems to be common practice to use WBS elements.