Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What is the easy way to move an activity from lower level of WBS

9 replies [Last post]
Zahid Rehman
User offline. Last seen 6 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

I have received a Pre-Comm/Comm schedule from our contractor , now my management wants me to add remaining construction activities to this schedule to drive mechanical completion , So I added Sub WBS to the existing WBS. There are more than 1000 activities which needs to be moved to the next lower level. if you understood my question please advise the easy way to move activities in quick manner from one level to other level.

Thanks 

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

drag and drop is the same as cut and paste

Zahid Rehman

Thanks Johannes, Zoltan and Emad for reply.

I already tried the mentioned tips but there are other several issues ahead ..i.e. if I cut & paste then there is a chance that it will disturb the original logics (placed by contractor) which I need to preserve yet. Secondly , If I do it by global change then I need to make/change filter 500 times as I have 250 Systems and there are 2 sub WBS to each system.

However , I found the drag & drop method useful as mentioned by Johannes. The same tip was also given by other fellow Mr. Chandran on other post in this forum. For guidance of other friends , I will paste the method in below,

Select the activities (Ctrl+Activity).

Move the cursor to the left side of the activity table. Cursor with small rectangle appears.

Now drag the activities to the needed WBS.

Cheers

Zahid Rehman

Abu Dhabi-UAE

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Zahid

Just drag & drop the activity to the desired WBS level

Regards Johannes 

Emad Mofarej,PMP,...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

For global change.

The filter will be: WBS under --> your current WBS path

the change will be: WBS = New WBS path.

BTW if the scenario is this simple why not select all the activities under the WBS and cut and paste to the new WBS

and as I said before if you are trying to move the whole WBS and SubWBSs under a diffrent WBS go to WBS tab and cut and paste the WBS.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

cut and paste the wbs to the new location

Zahid Rehman

The Scenario is that under Each WBS there are 3 activities , like you can see in the below snap. The first activity under red band (Mech Completion) I want to move the green band (Remaining Construction scope) and Pre-comm and Commissioning activities to second green band of (Pre-Comm/Commission). hope you got my query now.

pbu124.jpg

Zahid Rehman

Thanks Emad for Reply , could you advise a sample criteria for Global Change to move activity to lower level ?

Zahid Rehman

Thanks Emad for Reply , could you advise a sample criteria for Global Change to move activity to lower level ?

Emad Mofarej,PMP,...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

Well the common answer is to use Global change.

Easier and faster alternative: Add WBS column to your Activities tab spreadsheet. Select the top most activity and change the WBS to the one that you wanted it to be. Fill down.

BTW if you are looking to move all activities under a wbs to a new wbs why not move the wbs altoghether in the WBS tab?