Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Easy way of applying Activity relationships

5 replies [Last post]
Mujahid Chauhdry
User offline. Last seen 5 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All,

I am preparing aschedule of about 10,000 activities. Giviing relationship to those activities will take time and I dont have much time. Please tell me the simplest, easiest & fastest way to add relationships so that I can finish the scheduule in time. 

Thanks in advance..

Regards...

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 52 weeks ago. Offline

yes mujahid

Mujahid Chauhdry

Thanx Dieter..

I just tried. Its working. I can modify the relationship type. 

But why it is showing only activities which already have relationships/pred & Succ in p6? There are no activities for which Pred & Succ are not assigned in p6. So if I want to assign pred & succ in excel, I have to add those activities manually in excel sheet? 

Mujahid

Dieter Wambach

Mujahid

You'll export to Excel (XLS) --> mark activities and Activity relationships --> within the map "Taskpred" you'll see the relationships.

Never modify any formatting! But you may modify the contents and add new records.

Then import this file again. Pay attention for the import configuration.

Good luck!

Dieter

Mujahid Chauhdry

Dear Dieter,

Thanx for suggestions. You understood my question very rightly. Grouping is what I am aleady trying. 

Can you please alloborate the process how can I change relationships in excel? I know how to edit Activity names, duration etc in excel. But could not succeed in giving relationships in excel. 

I will be thankfull to you. 

Regards..

Mujahid

Dieter Wambach

Mujahid

This depends on the structure of your project.

- If you'll group it it will be easier to work group by group

- You can export into Excel, then add the links within Excel

- You'll have groups of activities which will be in a sequence. Select group by group then right mouse button then "Link activities" which wil sequence those activities.

These are only techniques. Reserve your time to create the proper logical links. This will help the project.

Hope I understood your question correctly. Good luck!

Dieter