Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What is the use of Baseline types

6 replies [Last post]
Haresh Jayanth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

I can understand , how we can clasify different types such as risk , expenses etc by going to Admin Categories.....

But what is the use of making classification of a baseline program......Where we can see the baseline program once we assign classification....What is the use??

Replies

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline

Baseline Types are just a method or recording effectively a note from a restricted list against a Baseline and does not affect calculations.

You need to be sure you are displaying the correct Baseline Dates and I have just posted an article on my website under technical articles titled "What Baseline Bars am I Displaying" explaining why and when P6 displays Baseline Planned Dates and not Baseline Early Start and Finish Dates as one would normally expect.

Paul E Harris

Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia

Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers, Consulting and Training

www.eh.com.au

www.eastwoodharris.com

www.primavera.com.au- a Primavera scheduling software resources site

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 1 day 4 hours ago. Offline
Muhammad,
Baseline types are for information only. It will identify what type of baseline you have especially if multiple baselines are saving on a project. When planner save a baseline, Project Id will become not visible and the only way to identify this is by adding meaning to description or by using Baseline type.
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Muhammad,

I think that the titles assist in categorizing the work. But Rodel might have more indepth info if the program actually is doing something else at these stages besides saving a copy of the schedule (snap shot) and giving it a title.

With kind regards,

Samer
Muhammad Mehmood
User offline. Last seen 12 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

Does it matter, suppose if we are using Customer Sign-off?

Regards,
MUHAMMAD
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 1 day 4 hours ago. Offline
Haresh,
Baseline type is very helpful information to specify what types of baselines are saving. Using this P6 function planner/ user can assign or specify what type of baseline as a reference.
Ex: Customer Sign-Off, Initial Plan, What–if analysis or Last Period Performance.

Planner/user can define the type of baseline in Admin-> Admin Categories-> Baseline Types tab and can assign or specify the type of baseline at Maintain Baseline.
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Haresh,

The Baseline is used to measure progress. You can save a schedule at anytime and call it a "Baseline".

It depends on the software that you are using and how it is saving the baseline.

Once you compare the baseline to the update, you can see what are the differences and start finding the reasons.

With kind regards,

Samer