Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Using Multiple Rate Types

4 replies [Last post]
Paul Garland
User offline. Last seen 3 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am preparing Bid Plans for a client who has a large number of customers to who they provide staff resources at a range of different rates. E.g a named planning engineer may be cost by an hourly rate to various customers as follows:
e.g
Rate 1 – Internal cost =£35 / hr
Rate 2 – In-house company = £38 / hr
Rate 3 – Government Client = £40 / hr
Rate 4 – Rail Engineering Client = £45 / hr
Rate 5 – Competitor as Sub-Con = £42 / hr
Rate n – Pharmaceutical Client = £?

Since P3e only allows 5 rate types, I am restricted applying rates for a 6th or nth client. I cannot change a rate type since they are being used in live projects and this will make a mess of the cost reporting for these schemes.

I want to have more rate types available for the same resource, how can I do this without creating a new resource library for each project? Any good advice on a practical and workable solution would be welcomed.

Paul

Replies

Paul Garland
Thanks Nigel, unfortunately most of our clients (e.g Network Rail) will want and expect to recalculate forecast activity costs based on staff resource rates. Hence the need to include markup in the rate.

Paul
Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 3 days 11 hours ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Paul
Done the same as David. As he says it works. Another way I have used to a base rate plus an expenxes addition. Depends upon how you need to show the costs. In that example I need to show an overall cost only including expenses. Not as elegant.
Cheers
Nige
Paul Garland
Thanks David, I’ve used a similar work around myself using a global change to modify the resource ID to the one with the rate I need. I’m hoping that I’m missing something e.g that under admin you can increase the number of rate types.

Paul
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline
Paul,

Hard. The only work around I have used is to start the hierarchical resource dictionery with the rate. E.G. the resource code is 45-Engineer, 48-Engineer. Not elegent. It works.