Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Steps - User defined text

11 replies [Last post]
Haresh Jayanth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
I have inserted a column in Steps tab, User_text1 and typed some text messages.

Later , when i inserted a column namely User_text1, the typed matter is not reflected in the column. So i want to exactly know, where all the matter , i have typed is stored, if i am typing in the steps tab, user_text1 columns.

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 14 hours 46 min ago. Offline
Haresh,
You need an image host(i.e. friendster, facebooks, photobuckets...etc) and use html code to insert images.
Haresh Jayanth
Correct...thanks

One more out of context question.......How do you insert any images, in your post , at the time of replying or posting questions....

I still dont know , how to insert a image in post.....

regards,
Rodel Marasigan
Haresh,
If you define a UDF under its category it will be available only on the category that you selected.
Ex: UDF Activity = Activity table
UDF Project = Project table
UDF Resource = Resource table
UDF Activity Steps = Steps table
UDF Risk = Risk table
UDF WBS = WBS table etc... etc...
It’s same as Activity Code, Project Code and Resource Code.
There is no way you can use UDF Steps in Activity table as it has own UDF. YOu may use the same UDF name i.e. User_Text1 but they are different table.
Haresh Jayanth
a) Enterprise,userdefined, activity steps...

Yes....I have already defined user_text1 in activity steps after going to enterprise , userdefined and activity steps.....

b) Steps tab:

I have typed some texts (instead of notes), by going to steps tab after inserting a column "user_text1".

c) Activity table:

This typed text is not visible when i insert a column "user_text1 in activity table....

Any reasons...
Rodel Marasigan
Haresh,
Do you mean that you define a users define field on Activity Steps? (Enterprise-> Users define fields-> Activity Steps) Is that what you querying about?
UDF Steps
Haresh Jayanth
Rodel,

I have defined user defined field in steps, and typed some description on user defined field, but when i inserted a column "User defined field, in Activity table ,the said area is showing blank??

Why this area is showing blank , even after defining it.....
Rodel Marasigan
Haresh,
You can only have user define field on Steps if you define users define field under Activity Steps. Is that what you talking about? From the Step tab you cannot define user define field itself.
Haresh Jayanth
Dear Rodel,

Apart from this fixed fields , you can also insert userdefined fields , click on steps tab, right click inside the steps, goto customize step columns, you can see in available options , two category General & Userdefined.
Click on Userdefined and select user_text1.

And type any text in that column.....I want to know where it is getting saved. How to see this column in Activity table???

Rodel Marasigan
Haresh,
I don’t know if you can insert user define text in Step tab. It has a fixed field called as follows:
Step Name
Step % Complete
Step Weight
Step Weight percent
Completed

There is no user define text. I haven’t encounter any user define in Step from P4 to P6.2 v7
Haresh Jayanth
Dear Rodel,

I know steps have nothing related to user defined text. My question was , we can insert a column called user defined text in Steps tab (right click customize steps column and insert user_text1 column).

But When we type any text in user defined text, the same should be reflected on the activity table when we insert a same user defined column for eg user_text1.

The User defined inserted column, shows blank, what may be reasons for the same.........
Rodel Marasigan
Haresh,
Step is a production step to measure progress using Physical % complete and nothing to do with user define field. You can create a steps template that can assign to every activity or manual step per activity.