Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Editing Cost distribution in Resource Spread Sheet

8 replies [Last post]
Ijaz Ahmad
User offline. Last seen 7 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello Guys,
I am trying to edit cost distribution in the resource spreadsheet. I can see the distributed cost in different cells but I can’t edit them as all the cells are greyed out. Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Ijaz

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

you do not edit the resource spreadsheet the costs and units are spread over the activities start and end date based on the cost and units that you input for the resource. 

this is based on your calendar and availabe work hours per day.

the only way to change distribution is to change the duration, chnage the costs, change the units or assign a curve to the resource so that the distribution is different.

this is not excel 

Arunava Giri
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

In a project I need to distribute fixed cost across the task duration manually without resource.  I was trying to enter cost in Cost usage sheet.  But found this is not editable.  Like Activity No 2 August-2014 Plan cost is $15,000 and September-14 is $ 16,500.   How can I edit this numbers. 

Thanks.

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ijaz,

As mentioned in previous post, you cannot edit/modify cost manually whether it is Labor, Nonlabor & Material Resource Type.

This is just a suggestion, I think the best thing you can do is to set your Budgeted Cost equal to your Budgeted Units. To perform this try the following:

1. I pressumed you have cost-loaded schedule and no Budgeted Units in your schedule.

2. Perform a global change or do it in Excel.

Select Subject Area = "Activity Resource Assignments"
Where
Resource ID Name "is under" "Assigned Resource ID/Name"
Then
Budgeted Labor Units = Budgeted Cost

3. When done, set your Price/Unit = 1

4. Do not forget to "Recalculate Assignment Cost" under Tools Menu.

Now, You have a Budgeted Unit & Cost. If you wish to modify your Budgetd Units, your cost as well will be modified and updated according to your units.

If you find some difficulties try to send PM to me.

Regards,

Arnold
Ijaz Ahmad
Thank you Arnold,
What about if we have Non-labor cost like miscellaneous cost charges or material cost. How can we spread this cost manually.
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ijaz,

I agree with Rodel, you cannot modify/edit cost but only budget units and remaining units.

Tell us what is really your intention otherwise, we can suggest another perspective.

Regards,

Arnold
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 21 hours 28 min ago. Offline
Ijaz,
It maybe using roles instead of resource and you also needs privileges to edit roles assignment for planning under Security Profile-> Project Profiles.

Note: You can only edit budget units and remaining units and not cost fields.
Ijaz Ahmad
Hi Rodel,
I have the duration type Fixed duration & units and I also have security priviliges to edit resource assignments. Also I checked the possible cause that are metioned in the help menu of PM, but to no vail.
Probably, some one else can guide me if there is some secret behind it.
Thanks
Ijaz
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 21 hours 28 min ago. Offline
Ijas,
You cannot edit cost only remaining units and budgets units.
Another cause is duration type settings: Fixed Units and Fixed Unit/Time are not editable in spreadsheet.

Worse scenario: You don’t have privilege to edit resource assignment for Planning under Security Profile-> Project Profiles