Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

WBS, in CSI format

34 replies [Last post]
Sandy Sandoval
User offline. Last seen 5 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,

Greetings!

Can anybody share a sample of WBS, in CSI format.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sandy

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 33 min 17 sec ago. Offline

CSI WBS

In the times of P3 we would be required to use Activity Codes instead of WBS, an easier to master method. But WBS is still similar and more powerful, therefore all software include a way to get WBS from activity codes.

Our most used organization structure was as above, top level for project, next level for areas, last level for CSI Divisions. Some Divisions where expanded at this level as to separate major subdivisions but never used another level for this purposes.

It is very simple, under each Area add the used CSI Divisions. 

You can switch the Area and CSI columns if you wish, I still find we need both, our software is capable of working multiple WBS so it is not an issue, even more when on a Portfolio where WBS shines as King of the organization methodologies. 

Yow can create a template using Generic Areas, each area with all CSI Division titles and when creating a new job simply change area names and eliminate those CSI divisions not used under each area.

Tanveer Ahmad Niazi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Hi, Dear Rafeal

Hope evry thing going just fine with you. I saw your reply to Sikandar (Sat, 2010-02-06 08:39) about WBS. You said that you have created a standard WBS for your kind of job and each time you dont have to create new. I am working with a civil contractor who normaly have a high rise buildings. I am new in planning, if you can send me a sample of this kind of WBS. I shall remain thankful to you.

Tanveer (tanveeraniazi@yahoo.com)

Soumya Chandrasek...
User offline. Last seen 13 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

Please let me know the best book to refer to create WBS in CSI format. Do we have to neccesarily take CSI exam to be able to use the standards effectively.

Best Regards

Rafael Davila
Mimoune,

I see you are in the Petro/Chem industry. If you work for a refinery, Cost Centers can be very useful not only because it simplifies you reporting needs but because it allows you to do things you cannot do with cost accounts only.

You might have a maintenance crew that perform works for several project managers, when interested in tracking cost accounts particular to the project managers that supervise several maintenance crews but also want to track costs accounts related to each particular crew you need Cost Centers. Each Cost Center will have common cost accounts with other Cost Centers while at the same time have cost accounts not in common. Here no cost coding system will help; you need the added functionality of Cost Centers working as a complement to your cost accounts.

Is an additional field any good financial system would provide, good to have in your scheduling system.

Best regards,
Rafael
Hi Mimoune,
I understand your pleasure.
It is necessary to be satisfied and proud of your work.
I know these feelings.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
thanks rafael and vladimr for your valuable input to this thread.

actually i was speaking about a situation that i have experienced in my last job, as a contractor’s planner in a small project, you know, you are the guy who do everything, you are the planner, cost control and the QS actually my position was technical engineer , but it was fun to generate all those fancy cash flow curve and monthly balance sheet, and as p3 has not the notion of cost center, we used the same schedule two times, the first loaded with cost( labor, material,equipment) and the second loaded with prices, then dynamically linked to excel, you have a live dashboard.

my little pleasure was when i found BAC > value of the contract, and i show the report to PM, he keep complaining that the estimating department are morons, and their biding prices don’t even cover the salaries.

best regards and thanks again.

ps : i am a little emotional today, i don’t way ?!

Rafael Davila
mimoune,

Of course you make sense, a lot of sense; as a matter of fact most of us consolidate multiple BOQ items per activity using a single value. This value we determine latter by cross referencing a spreadsheet to the BOQ items. Another approach can be using detailed cost codes within your schedule model, is a matter of preference and should yield the same results.

The Engineering Department or Estimating Department in agreemnt with the PM should give you the distribution after the BOQ is approved. For the updatings the PM or the person who prepares the monthly application should tell you how the billings are to be distributed into the appropiate schedule activities.

Don’t tell anybody our method of choice for this particular issue is to apply "Hammer’s Rule", that is if do not fit hit it with a hammer until it fits. We make minor adjustments to the costs assignments to make them sum same as BOQ. If the initial distribution was correct these minor adjustments are for practical purposes negligible.

Keep it simple; make your WBS(s) in the way(s) makes most sense to organize your schedule. They are just organizing codes.

Best regards,
Rafael
Hi Mimoune,
I think that you shall work with the Engineering Department and ask them what is the expected amount of reinforced concrete necessary for each equipment foundation.
The schedule shall give the information on quantities of materials that are needed in the different periods of the project life cycle.
The schedule is most useful if supplies the information on project resource requirements (people, machines, materials, equipment) at any time period.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
mimoune djouallah
rafael;

of course bill of item = schedule activity, is an overkill relation and it does not make sens. specially for large contract. even some item are not represented at all in the schedule, like service (for example; hiring a water pump to the owner)

the problem is : items in BOQ are generally grouped (due to the fact that main contractor begin to bid work for subcontractor before the engineering phase is completed)it’s very hard to the planer to split the quantities across the detailed wbs.

for example in the contract you have 15 000 m3 of reinforced concrete, now in order to have quantity by each equipment foundation is very time consuming and i think is the work of engineering department or QS or whatever not me ;)

did i make sens ! ?
Rafael Davila
You might have several WBS for your job. It might happen, never say never, that in one of your WBS all individual BOQ items roll up to the same WBS item but when you move to another WBS it will not happen. As a matter of fact in the construction industry BOQs are so detailed that usually it is impractical to assign a single BOQ per activity, a one to one match makes no sense.

BOQ is the very first thing a contractor submits in order to be able to bill mobilization and insurance costs. Most probably your BOQ will be subject to changes as to the breakdown items as well as to the cost distribution. This is serious stuff, so much that if an Owner accepts an unbalanced breakdown the Surety Company might be relieved in case the Contractor is declared in default under such condition.

At the same time you should be preparing and submitting your schedule. DO NOT TIE YOUR WBS TO BOQ, is unnecessary, it complicate things, even when using a single WBS does not makes sense.

In any case the engineering department should supply you with the BOQ and then you split WBS using the BOQ. You will end up distributing BOQ items across the boundaries of your WBS, even across different levels, and this is how it should be.

For your knowledge not all payments are considered as work performed, the most notable is "materials on site", payment for materials not yet installed. By the same token not all work performed is paid, such as the retainage on partial payments. If not familiar with these terms better get used to, as most probably after your periodic request for partial payments is submitted and reviewed with an Owner representative with this information you should report your BOQ actuals if required to be included as part of your schedule updates.
mimoune djouallah
Hi skandar
First forget about P6, it is the last step and the easy one in order to develop a program not the first.

-Read the drawing, read the contract, read all the project specifications, I am sure you will not understand everything, try to see another project with the same work, ask helpers, welders, painters and discipline superintendents don’t be deceived if you get negative feedback, it is normal, they don’t like you, they think you are clueless guy who want to control them.

-Ask your boss, you need to make a workshop with engineering department, to define the wbs of your project.

-Once the wbs is defined, ask the engineering department to split BOQ using the wbs (that’s the hardest part), it’s their work not yours.

-Once you have this famous spread sheet with activities and their quantities split by the wbs, your work start now as a scheduler.

-For each activity put the efficiency, this is the quantity that your company can do in one hour using a standard crew (resources). Each respectable company must have this kind of database.

-Now define BQWS( total budget manhour) = budget quantity /efficiency

-Activity duration = BQWS / (8 x number of standard crew) , for simplification, I suppose your work day is 8 hours. And for the first iteration put one resource

-Now for each activity, put an id, define it as you like as long as it is unique.

-Now you have an excel sheet with all activities, budget manhour, budget quantity, and duration, split by wbs.

-Transfer this excel sheet to p6, and sit down with disciplines superintendent ( the guys who will do the work) and beginning linking activities.

-Now define your calendar, and schedule your program, make sure the total duration of your project respects the contractual durations, and milestones etc. if not crash your activities by adding more resources,

-Print your schedule in A3 ( A0 if you can), go back to DS, ask them what they think, take all their comments into consideration.

-Now you have a preliminary schedule.

Best regards
Rafael Davila
Sakandar,

WBS is just an outline, don’t read the many doctoral thesis regarding WBS available on the web, they just add confusion to something very simple.

Follow Vladimir’s advice start your job working with your primary WBS and then add the activities. Rearranging the WBS on the run can be kind of tricky, eventually you will tame it.

Latter on you will understand why WBS is needed when working a portfolio of jobs, here organizing by activity codes can be deceiving.

Best regards,
Rafael
Sakandar Hayaat
User offline. Last seen 10 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Brothers,
Thnx for your support. I will do as per your suggestions then lets see what happens as I am new comer in planning.

Thanks to all ,also please give me ur personal emails (If you like) to contact in any difficulty or have a voice chat regarding my problems.

Regards,

Sakandar
We usually recommend to start with developing WBS and only then define activities.
Usually WBS describes with more and more details what objects shall be created in your project. Activities describe what you will do to create the objects at the lowest level of WBS.
We also recommend to create not one but several parallel WBS. One of them was already described, others may group your activities by types of processes, responsibility, cost accounts. In Primavera it may be achieved by "organize" function, you shall apply codes to your activities that correspond with the structures you want to create.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Sakandar,

I think that you can go ahead with points 1 to 9 and complete your work by including all the activities necessary to deliver the project. Put the WBS aside for now, because you are not going to use it at this stage.

Keep it simple and you will get a good Program of Works. You can add more options after you control your Schedule.

With kind regards,

Samer
Sakandar Hayaat
Dear Brothers Samer, Rafael and all others,

I am still confused because when I got Primavera training, the instructor stated that you have to follow the below hirerchy to work in Primavera 5 or 6

1. User preference (edit as per req.)
2. EPS
3. Create Project
4. Set Calenders
5. Define activity Id’s
6. Write activity description
7. Add duration
8. Predecessor
9. Schedule
After then create resourse directory, assign roles and responsibilities, THEN create WBS directory, assign WBS to activities(this is confusing for me.)

Now I explain my project to you on which I am working for the first time.

The project is Procurement, fabrication and painting of some vessels and their support structures which are taken in tonnages.

As far as I think, the activities e.g in fabrication are plate cutting, plate fit up, welding, and then assembly.
Now tell me what will be the WBS in this project.
OR simply tell me what are the activities and WBS in this project.
Also tell Can we plan and monitor project without using WBS in Primavera?

Waiting for your response.

Regards,

Sakandar
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
HI Rafael,

I think we’re on the same page here. As I said in post #14, having WBS related to CBS may not be necessary sometimes, but if there’s a need, it can be done.

On the issue of if it’s happening in real life, IMHO, reality is very subjective. Based from my experience, reality in North America is not the same reality in southeast asia.
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Sakandar,

Imagine that the WBS is like a tree with branches, and the activities you have to count all the leaves.

You need to make sure that the WBS contains all the requirements of your Contract Documents.

I mentioned that you have Fabrication, drilling, welding, fitup. Because some pieces might need drilling only, welding only, or none, or drilling and welding both. It was just to show you that the main branch can have also small branches as well.

With kind regards,

Samer

Rafael Davila
Dear Se,

To relate WBSW codes to BOQ means that there is a relationship between both while in reality there is no need for a relationship to exist. Tying one to the other prevents you to develop each independently. You should be able to develop your schedule using appropriate WBS without taking in consideration your BOQ assignments. Both can be developed independently and after both are approved then you make your assignments that most probably will not be exclusively one on one.

They are not related, just assigned, use of the term related is not correct. Maybe it is a subtle issue of language but is important to keep the distinction. I have seen schedule specifications that require you one to one assignments, a single BOQ per activity, maybe because of misinterpretation of the term by the person who wrote the specification.

Best regards,
Rafael
Sakandar Hayaat
Dear Brother Samer,
First of all thanks for your detail reply of my question. I now understand the WBS concept but still I have some confusion regarding transfering this concept to P6.
In primavera after adding activities and scheduling we assign WBS to the activities.
But what you explain to me contain the end task I mean the activities e.g you mentioned fabrication, plate cutting, fit up, welding, assembly etc.

So please tell me what should I write in activities when I have to add activities?

I think you get my point.
So please also help me in this regards,

Sakandar
Se de Leon
Maybe I didn’t quite understand the word relate as compared to assign in your previous post. Could you explain the word relate in the context of what we’re discussing because as far as I’m concerned, this is interesting because I don’t see the distinction between the two.

Regards,
Se

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 33 min 18 sec ago. Offline
Se de Leon,

As per my posting no 10: "The WBS should be activity oriented and not cost/deliverables oriented. WBS is intended to organize activities not your BOQ. You might have hundreds of Cost Breakdown items such as the installation of CMU units, hundred differently priced Lighting Fixtures, of toilet partitions, of floor finishes at different areas under different WBS code. How are you going to relate them? "

You do multiple assignments but do not relate them; these two words have very different meanings.

MS Project is not intended to provide all functionality of sophisticated CPM Software, is getting closer so eventually will lose ease of use. Same as MS Project Primavera SureTrak is a subset of P3, it does not provides for cost account but as in other software you can mimic cost accounts with ease assigning a cost resource per cost account. This I have done for US Government Jobs at home.

Best Regards,
Rafael
Se de Leon
I am pretty sure you were asking how WBS and CBS could be related in your previous post, didn’t you?

Could you explain why it’s wrong? I know sometimes it may not be necessary, but I don’t think it’s wrong IMHO.

I don’t think MS Project can do what P6 can do in this regard.

Rafael Davila
Se de Leon

All software can do this, BOQ is a cost breakdown, not in conflict with the statement that activities shall roll up to a single WBS while relating BOQ cost breakdown deliverables to WBS is wrong, this is the issue. Because this issue have created so much controversy the PMI has beeen in need to justify its position in their documents.

Best regards,
Rafael
Se de Leon
Hi Rafael,

Your question about how WBS and CBS are going to be related. With all due respect, I suggest, if you have P6, that you explore how P6 works in this regards. This can be done. Cost accounts can span through several tasks in the WBS.

P3 is also capable of doing this.

IMHO
Rafael Davila
Sandi,

1.WBS should be organized to clearly show how the work will be executed be it by area, function etc.
2.BOQ can be related to Cost Accounts at a unique Cost Center for this purpose.
3.Job Costing can be related to Cost Accounts at a unique Cost Center for this purpose.

Items 1, 2 and 3 are best if kept separate one from each other.

1.You can assign an activity only a single WBS code per current WBS Structure. Keep in mind some software does allows you to have multiple WBS structure but the rule still applies.
2.You can assign multiple BOQ items to a single activity.
3.You can assign the same BOQ item to multiple activities.
4.BOQ cost accounts and your Job Costing cost accounts are better off if kept separately. You might have a Job Costing account to track concrete placement or some equipment use but most probably you will not be allowed to assign BOQ accounts to concrete pouring nor your equipment rentals.

The WBS should be activity oriented and not cost/deliverables oriented. This is WBS intended to organize activities not your BOQ. You might have hundreds of Cost Breakdown items such as the installation of CMU units, hundred differently priced Lighting Fixtures, of toilet partitions, of floor finishes at different areas under different WBS code. How are you going to relate them?

Don’t mix them, too much rice and beans will get you fat. WBS should not be strictly tied to Cost Breakdown, a Cost Break Down item shall be allowed to span across several WBS items. Here PMI call for good practice to make WBS deliverable oriented is wrong.

Best regards,
Rafael
Se de Leon
HI Sandy,

Don’t confuse yourself with WBS and cost breakdown structure. WBS should be organized to clearly show how the work will be executed be it by area, function etc. WBS should have a relationship with Cost breakdown, in the case of P6, it’s called cost accounts.

My opinion on this, don’t force your WBS to follow CSI format but use CSI format to assign resources, expenses using cost accounts.

IMHO.
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear All,

We have to mention here that PMI has a standards;

"Practice Standards for Work Breakdown Structure". Reading it will also assist.

With kind regards,

Samer
Rafael Davila
Sakandar,

WBS is essentially an index under which you organize your activities.

Similar to the index on a book, just that by following it you will go to activities instead of the text of a book. Same as a book you can organize your index in many ways, is up to you and your needs.

Think of it as:

Name of Book (Job)
Next level (Volume)
Next level (Chapter)
Next level (Pharagraph)

You can organize your WBS on a piece of paper or using a word processor, at times easier than going directly to the software screen, is too rigid and difficult to edit.

I go directly to the Computer Screen because I already have my WBS Structure standarized for my particular kind of jobs and the standard we use here.

Best regards,
Rafael
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Sakandar,

The WBS would be something like this:

1. Detail Design
1.1 Civil Detail Design
1.2 Mechanical Detail Design
1.3 Electrical Detail Design

2. Approval of Detail Design
2.1 Civil Detail Design
2.2 Mechanical Detail Design
2.3 Electrical Detail Design

3. Procurement
3.1 Civil Material
3.2 Mechanical Material
3.3 Electrical Material

4. Fabrication
4.1 Fabrication Tanks
4.1.1 Plate Fit up
4.1.2 Plate Rolling
4.1.3 Plate Welding
4.1.4 Accessories Welding
4.1.5 Testing
4.1.6 Surface Treatment
4.1.7 Painting/ Treatment
4.2 Fabrication Support Structure
4.2.1 Structure Fit up
4.2.2 Drilling
4.2.3 Plate Welding
4.2.5 Testing
4.2.6 Surface Treatment
4.2.7 Painting

5. Delivery

With kind regards,

Samer
Sakandar Hayaat
Dear Brothers,
You are doing great job to improve the individuals skill of Primavera.
I have a question which I tried to think again and again but did not get an answer from myself. Actually I am bit confusd in understanding WBS.
I know that it breaks the project into manageable phases.
Please tell what will be my WBS in the following project.
We have a project that involved detail design, procurement, fabrication, and delivery of some tanks and support structures.
Now please tell me what will be my WBS for this project.

I am waiting or your responses anxiously.

Sikandar
Sandy Sandoval
User offline. Last seen 5 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Thank you Rafael & Zamer,

Best regards,
Sandy
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Sandy,

This is a great answer by Rafael. All you have to do is open your BOQ and the project layout/plans and start working on your WBS.

With kind regards,

Samer
Rafael Davila
Sandy,

Even when my software allows for unlimited WBS structures the main WBS structures I use, in order of preference, are:

1-     organized by area and then by function
2-     organized by function and then by area
3-     organized by responsibility then by area

CSI codes represent organization by function therefore it would fit into my first two WBS structures. The way I organize my WBS structures are a WBS representation of organizing by activity codes.

Therefore my WBS structures would take the form:

1-     PROJ.CSID.AREA if organized by function and then by area
2-     PROJ.AREA.CSID if organized by area and then by function

For CSID I limit the codes to the traditional 16 divisions:

CODE     DESCRIPTION
•     01      General Requirements
•     02      Site Construction
•     03      Concrete
•     04      Masonry
•     05      Metals
•     06      Wood and Plastics
•     07      Thermal and Moisture Protection
•     08      Doors and Windows
•     09      Finishes
•     10      Specialties
•     11      Equipment
•     12      Furnishings
•     13      Special Construction
•     14      Conveying Systems
•     15      Mechanical
•     15      Electrical

More often than not for my WBS I set General Requirements and Site Construction under an AREA code when organized by area and then by function

Note that some software requires you to assign and keep within a fixed number of characters per WBS level while others do not. I believe all Primavera software requires you to use a structure with a fixed pre-defined code max length per WBS level.

There are two CSI Division breakdowns, the old 16 division format and the new 50 division format. I still use the old 16 division format until the new 50 division format becomes the standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16_Divisions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Divisions

Keep it simple and don’t overdo it.

Best Regards,
Rafael