Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Hiding Non-driving links (dotted lines)

8 replies [Last post]
Ijaz Ahmad
User offline. Last seen 7 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Guys,
Can you please tell me is it possible to hide non-driving links (dotted lines) while printing Gantt Chart.
Thanks

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Rafael

Yes - its called task per line mode - but I rarely use it because you cannot copy paste into the chart spreadsheet in this mode.

I rely on bottom up and summary tasks with curved links to fill an A3 chart.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 26 min ago. Offline
Mike,

You are cheating, in ASTA Power Project you can place several activities in a single line.

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

In my philosophy if you need more than 1 A3 sheet to display a programme there is too much information on it.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
Mike,

In Spider links are diagonal, not much formatting you can do with them. As I told you I never display links unless sample jobs of less than 20 activities, as soon as your links start crossing pages it become useless. For these sample project is not bad to display them and being able to have some formatting control also not bad.

I would not trade the functionality of links categories available in Asta PowerProject or Spider Project for more formatting options. In jobs with many activities being able to create links categories and filter for them can be very useful.

Especially when you are using "soft links", though I don’t believe I will continue the use of "soft links" with Spider Project, is better than Primavera SureTrak at resource leveling by a long shot.

But who knows, some of my clients might still insist on ’soft links’ as they are not used to see true float after resource constraining, something we could not get with Primavera SureTrak.

Now at the click of the mouse we can see the difference between float after and before resource leveling and report using custom field formulas.

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

Can you set the links to show curved instead of vertical.

Best regards

Mike Testro

PS I liked your picture in the box - can you send an enlargement the size of a dartboard?
Rafael Davila
Mike,

We can create unlimited sets of categories each with unlimited options using custom fields but not sure about being able to control display of lines other than on/off at the Gantt Chart. I never switch "on" the display of relationship lines as it is difficult if not impossible to follow, especially when you have a relationship between two activities hundreds of lines apart, is kind of useless, here engineers call it an MDA for “M!!!! de Arquitecto” or an architect’s thing.

We follow logic using the links table view where you can create your user/custom fields, where you can see all the information regarding your links, where you can filter and sort your links.

Categories

Yes links categories were on my wish list, I heard of it first in Asta and I am glad we have it in Spider Project.

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
Another One.

In Powerproject you can display or hide any single link category or all of them.

Also you can set up any number of link types with colours or line types as you wish.

I am sure you can do the same with Spider.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ijaz,

Unfortunately No.

Regards.