Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Import Excel format to P6 (big size project file)

7 replies [Last post]
tandyo winarno
User offline. Last seen 13 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
I have problem when importing excel sheet into P6.
I have big size Project File. I exported it to excel and it work. But fail when I imported to P6 after updating the data. The message error is "Your system is out memory. Please close other running applications and try this operation again".

I already closed another application and try to splitted excel file to smaller size, however the problem is still remain.

Please help for resolving it

Thanks and Regards,
Tandyo

Replies

tandyo winarno
Thanks Dieter,

I will check my schedule.

Regards,
Tandyo
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Tandyo

25MB for an XER for 11000 activities is too big. I assume there’s something wrong with your project (e.g. one of my projects >16000 activities --> 16 MB XER, many notebook items would lead to biger file)

P3e has a - sometimes nasty - parameter: "Drive activity dates by default". If not marked, durations of your resource assignments are independent from the activity’s duration - e.g. duration of an activity: 10 days, default value for resource "A" 2hours a day, assignment with 100 budgeted hours would lead to duration of the assignment of 50 days! This may lead to a long duration of project assignments.

This parameter can be set:

View Projects --> Tab Resources as a default for new activities
View assignment --> colunm "Drive..." If my assumption is correct be careful; a correction is possible but not easy and you may smash your project. --> Security copy!!

Good luck!

Dieter

tandyo winarno
Dieter,

My computer Memory is 2G.
The project cosist of 11,000 activities with resource loaded. In Xer file about 25MB

Would you please clarify for "View projects --> Drive activity dates by default should be marked and in the assignments as well"?

Regards,
Tandyo

Dieter Wambach
Tandyo

This still seems strange. P6 has no real limit for the number of activities (my biggest one was in P4.1 with more than 190000 activities and quite a number of codes).

Another "candidate": View projects --> Drive activity dates by default should be marked and in the assignments as well.

If you give some more details, size of your pc, number of activities, ... maybe we can find the reason.

Regards
Dieter
tandyo winarno
Dieter, Waseem.

Thanks for your response and sharing.

I already checked Excel File. There is no something strange on the date format.

Although I splitted the excel file (to get smaller size), it also doesn’t when I imported the file.

I concluded it due to the P6 project file size that is huge.

Finally I splitted the Project file to become several projects (to get smaller size) by re-structuring the EPS and playing cut and paste of WBS.

And then I export and import that smaller project. It works.

Regards,
Tandyo
Waseem Saber
User offline. Last seen 1 year 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Agreed with Dieter, i had the simillar experience,

check the data on the xls sheet.

cheers

wazsab
Dieter Wambach
Tandyo

This message means that inclusive virtual memory the size of your PC isn’t sufficient.

Possible reason: In general this is due to some wrong data. Then P6 has to build huge tablespace. The last case I found some activities with end dates up to the year 4930. The result was "out of memory". Another case the reason was a programmed interface to SAP with a bug.

Check your excel-file for the dates: format and year.

Good luck!
Dieter