Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Reduce the XER file size

8 replies [Last post]
Jason LI
User offline. Last seen 3 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

Dear all,

My XER file is geting huge, Please somebody provide a POBS Eraser tool for downloading, so i can reduce the size. thanks.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

thast only 1/2 the solution you must clean your database

Joel Roberts
User offline. Last seen 14 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Jason,

You can use ScheduleCleaner to erase POBS and reduce the file size of your XER file.

The tool can also help you with the following:

• Remove other data such as costs, units, rates
  • Anonymyze/mask data such as resource names and simmilar
  • Convert Global to Project Data - Activity Codes and Calendars

Regards,

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline

If you have a P6 R18 database, the POBS issue will not happen within the Database, but if you are importing XER files from other databases, you will need to check and cleanse POBS data out of these.

Pernell Sanchez
User offline. Last seen 4 years 49 weeks ago. Offline

Is the cleaner will work in P6 ver 18

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

celaning the xer file is only 1/2 of the solution you have to clean your database also that is creating the large files.

here is a link to a free cleaner 

http://scheduleanalyzer.com/PurgePOBS.exe

Now make sure that you clean EVRY xer that you get from ANYONE.

next you will have to clean your existing database here is how 

Go to Start Programs Microsoft SQL server 2005, SQL Management Express Studio

the sever name is the name of the computer

Authentication is SQL Server Authentication

User name is sa

password is Prima123Vera then click connect

Expand the databases highlight pmdb$primavera

Up top select new query

then type delete POBS;  then right click and select execute

now close sql

done

Emad Mofarej,PMP,...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 days ago. Offline

Best thing you can do is upgrade your P6.

Primavera (and now oracle) acknowledged the existance of POBS bug in version 8.3 and released a bug fix for it. Unfortunately that bug fix only works for version 8.3 and some more recent versions have their own bug fixes. In the latest version 16.1 the bug is fully fixed and a seperate patch is no longer needed. This bug fix prevents P6 from importing or exporting POBS and stops spreading POBS records.

So why not only delete the POBS records in the database? You can delete pobs in the database, but as soon as you import one of the old POBS infected files it will start again. You can always check each XER for POBS and delete the form manually or with a software but for me it is a lot of work and as my company pays for P6 license it doesn't make sence to me or my company to spend couple of minutes extra for each schedule import forever!

If you are still interested to delete your POBS field in the P6 database follow the procedure in this link:

https://www.planacademy.com/clean-p6-pobs-table/

Be careful! Backup your database or/and your p6 schedules and do it at your own risk! If you follow exactly those steps you should be fine.

Jason LI
User offline. Last seen 3 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks Emad,

And are there a way to cleaning the P6 database, so the exported xer file in the future will no long have the garbage. my P6 is standalone version. 7.0.

Thanks.

Emad Mofarej,PMP,...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 days ago. Offline

you don't really need POB eraser. 

open XER file in notepad and delete it manually